BigJohn

What to expect at POE?

6 posts in this topic

My wife is arriving Feb 13th in Houston. Is there a guide as far as what happens after you deplane at POE? I looked but didn't see one.

07-28-2009 : Met online

10-14-2009 : Met for the first time in Cebu, had to go back 11-1-2009

01-14-2010 : Moved to Cebu

02-25-2010 : Married

10-14-2010 : DCF I-130 at Manila Embassy

10-21-2010 : Additional requested supporting evidence received at embassy

11-05-2010 : I-130 application approved

11-11-2010 : Received Packet 3 via Fed Ex with MNL Case #

11-18-2010 : Packet 3 (DS-230 and Interview request) received at embassy

11-22-2010 : Calling to try and get an interview date set!

12-16-2010 : Medical completed in Manila at St. Lukes

12-17-2010 : Flying back to the US to prepare for Maricel's arrival

01-12-2011 : Interview Set

01-12-2011 : APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-20-2011 : Receive Visa

01-25-2011 : CFO Seminar completed - ready to go!

02-12-2011 : Leave Manila

02-13-2011 : POE at Houston, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Depending on POE, there may be two lines, "Citizens and returning residents" and "Visitor's and immigrants" if so then follow the Immigrants unless an officer directs otherwise.

The POE officer simply looks over documents, stamps passport, takes a fingerprint and welcomes to USA.

Pretty painless.

MORE: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My wife is arriving Feb 13th in Houston. Is there a guide as far as what happens after you deplane at POE? I looked but didn't see one.

Well as far as POE is concerned in Houston( just got into Houston last weekend), Once you get off the plane you just follow the signs to where you will get to the immigration point. There you will queue up witht the visitors and hand in your passport with the brown envelope you were given at the embassy. you then do a fingerprint scan then you are asked to wait to be lead to a small room. In the small room you wait for a while then called in turns. They take another finger print and you sign there and ask a couple of questions depending on your unique case. then the passport gets stamped and you are advised to await the green card in 4-6months.

Hope this helps......best of luck to your wife

My wife's POE was much like missin's. However, if you are accompanying your wife you can go through the citizen's/LPR line. My wife and I chose this line since it was much shorter but isn't always the case...you, the citizen, can use either as well with her. The CBP officer will take the immigrant's fingerprints and place her documents in an envelope and direct you to a small, secondary screening room. There were only two other "cases" ahead of my wife's and mine so the process was quick. The open the sealed folder and may or may not ask additional questions. Since my wife was entering on a CR-1 visa they made her sign a document stating she knew to apply for removal of conditions at 21 months from that day. My wife was also able to submit a change of name form so when she received her green card last week it read the name she wanted it to read (married name). We went through Atlanta and it could not have been a more than rewarding experience...total time was about 10 minutes...just in time to get to baggage claim when the bags started coming off the conveyor.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You go up the "citizens/residents" line, not visitors. I was a K1 and still went up the citizen/resident line and I didn't get my greencard till AGES later (K1's pay for it and a different process after marriage). As a CR-1 you technically are a resident already because you've been approved, you just haven't walked the line and got your card... definitely citizens/resident line for you.

Good luck and congrats :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.