one...two...tree

Agent Orange victim loses health coverage over 2-cent shortfall

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Daniel Tencer

A Vietnam veteran suffering from a bone cancer blamed on exposure to Agent Orange was dropped from his health insurance for a two-cent shortfall on a premium payment, only to have the insurance reinstated when the story became public.

Ronald Flanagan of Thornton, Colorado, said he never received a warning from Ceridian Cobra Services that his coverage was cut, and only found out when he showed up at a hospital for a biopsy.

"The nurses were just getting ready to do the biopsy when my wife popped into the office and told them, 'Stop. We don't have any insurance,'" Flanagan told ABC channel 7 in Denver.

His wife, Frances, had just been informed that due a typo on their November premium payment, their insurance had been canceled. She had swapped a 7 for a 9, sending Ceridian a check for $328.67, instead of $328.69.

The Flanagans said the insurer did little to notify them their coverage was about to be canceled. Their next statement listed the faulty November payment, but did not alert them that their insurance was canceled. Their December premium payment was accepted, they say.

"They never did a certified letter saying what could happen. They never made a phone call. As far as I'm concerned, they're looking for a way to drop you," Ronald Flanagan said.

After sending a letter to ABC in Denver on Tuesday defending its decision to drop the Flanagans, the company appeared to quickly change its mind on Wednesday, when officials at the Florida-based insurer reportedly called the Flanagans personally to let them know their coverage had been reinstated.

According to AOL, Flanagan's doctors believe his cancer was likely caused by exposure to Agent Orange, a toxic herbicide used by the US military during the Vietnam War as part of its herbicidal warfare campaign. An estimated 40,000 US soldiers were exposed to the toxin, though few have been compensated. The chemical has also been blamed in the maiming or death of 400,000 Vietnamese people.

Flanagan told the press that losing his insurance crippled him emotionally, and he was considering using the Veterans Administration hospital in Seattle -- 1,400 miles away -- before Ceridian reinstated his policy.

"The insurance company is paying out way more than I'm paying in. And I understand that. But that's part of the insurance game," he said.

Restrictions on insurers' ability to drop costly patients are among the reforms in the health reform law passed last year.

The Flanagans' case doesn't appear to be isolated. A Colorado woman suffering from leukemia said last year she was dropped from her health plan over a one-cent shortfall. That incident involved a different insurer, Discovery Benefits.

La Rosa Carrington of Colorado Springs said the letter notifying her of the canceled policy didn't even mention that she was one penny short. She said the insurer relented when she threatened to take her story to the press.

http://www.rawstory....overage-2-cent/

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

the cancellation over 2c difference is disgusting.

- I just want to say, though he is a Vietnam Era Vet with Agent Orange exposure and subsequent illness, that he is due to VA Healthcare and possibly TriCare if he is retired. PLUS the VA is compensating Vietnam vets with Agent Orange exposure financially ( I know money will not put the heinous damage this awful chemical did right-but it's something).

I really hope he is affiliated with one of the Service Organizations ( VFW, DAV...etc) & and I admire him for taking this 2c cancellation clusterfluff to the media. Kudos to him :)

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

2 posts violating TOS have been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

the cancellation over 2c difference is disgusting.

- I just want to say, though he is a Vietnam Era Vet with Agent Orange exposure and subsequent illness, that he is due to VA Healthcare and possibly TriCare if he is retired. PLUS the VA is compensating Vietnam vets with Agent Orange exposure financially ( I know money will not put the heinous damage this awful chemical did right-but it's something).

I really hope he is affiliated with one of the Service Organizations ( VFW, DAV...etc) & and I admire him for taking this 2c cancellation clusterfluff to the media. Kudos to him :)

Very much agree. However, I do wonder why he was not receiving VA treatment for the cancer, as Agent Orange exposure leading to cancer is a service-connected disability. Wonder if he chose not to seek VA treatment or if he just didn't know he could qualify.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png