AnnB

maybe a bad interview, help...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone...I was wondering if someone has gone through this,

I went to my interview today...my husband is USC...and I think the IO had a bad day...because she was so rude...my husband hasn't been working for two years...so he decided to go to college...we live with his parents, and he's listed as a dependent in their taxes so they sign an affidavit too...the income isn't enough so we got a joint sponsor a friend of the family...when we was in the interview she asked for the w-2 of his step-dad and I didn't have it, so she said that the interview was finished and she was going to send a letter asking for that...so I don't know what to think now...she was with an attitude...do you think is going to be a problem also because we live with his parents and he's only studying and not working? they are supporting us...I'm scared...

Thank you.

Oh boy .... it sure sucks when you have an IO that seems to have a bad day as you can't stop thinking that this may influence their decision on your case...sigh....

...looks like you didn't sent the W-2 from your sponsor with the initially AOS package, you now will get what they call RFE (Request For Evidence) and then decide on your case. What did you sent with your package as far as evidence of a bona fide marriage goes? It's not a bad thing that you live with parents, since you also have some co-sponsorship, sometimes people just can't afford to live on their own right a way, especially with full-time students getting married. Keep in mind once you receive the letter the IO mentioned in regards to the sponsor's tax info, mail it back to them promptly so that your case keeps on getting processed rather sooner then later, you should ask your sponsors already for their tax stuff so there's no delay.

Did the IO ask you guys anything else during the interview? Did she go through the steps of verifying the info you filled out in the forms and/or talked about your relationship, how you met etc.? If so, there's not much to worry about I'd say since they only need to have the info you missed submitting in the first place. If not, I can imagine you get another interview opportunity where your case is talked about.

Good luck with the final steps of your AOS, keep us posted !! :)

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

It would also help if you gave some details about your case, or at least filled in your profile information (so we know when you arrived, on what visa type, what you're filing for now, etc). Sometimes assuming things when answering immigration questions is a very bad idea.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You were not denied so that is always a good thing.. you're being given a second chance. BUT to say it is the petitioner to take all the necessary documents with him/her to the interview and if the IO see that you are not prepared it's probably best to stop it there then for you to "flop" the interview.

best wishes to you & prepare for your RFE.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

I don't understand. If the IO needed the W2 of her co-sponsor, and for whatever reason they weren't sent in w/ the application, shouldn't an RFE have been sent out BEFORE the interview?

Or, even if the applicant sent the W2, is it a good idea to bring the W2 again to the interview.

I don't understand. If the IO needed the W2 of her co-sponsor, and for whatever reason they weren't sent in w/ the application, shouldn't an RFE have been sent out BEFORE the interview?

Or, even if the applicant sent the W2, is it a good idea to bring the W2 again to the interview.

hmmmm.....interesting thought.....and yes, you could be right, why didn't they ask for it prior to the interview if missing? Maybe and now I am assuming again ;) maybe they wanted to see the original and that wasn't at hand....

let's see what the poster is posting next for us to know more so we can give more advice and thoughts :)

Edited by Maxximus1074

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

They can always request an RFE before or after the interview. That's ok, at least they did not deny you upfront. expect to have an RFE sent to you and a possibly a 2nd Interview. This is your 2nd chance.. Make it right.

Make sure you send them what they need and it will be all good. Good luck! :thumbs:

N-400 Application

4/18/2016 (Day 1) - Package sent to Lewisville, TX

4/22/2016 (Day 3) - Received Package

4/25/2016 (Day 6) - $680 Cleared on credit card

4/29/2016 (Day 10) - Biometrics Scheduled

5/10/2016 (Day 20) - Early Biometrics (Walk in) Originally scheduled for 5/18 @ 2pm

8/16/2016 (Day 120) - Scheduled for an interview

I'm not picking on the OP here, but this is a good example of why it's so important to make sure you send in EVERYTHING the first time. Read, read, and re-read the instructions. It's all spelled out.

I agree with Tracy that more info would be helpful.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I got a question when it comes to this thread. I sent everything of my CO-SPONSOR like passport, driver license, W2 form, tax return along with my application but they are all copies. Do I really need to bring original ones when I go to the interview even though you know passport and driver license are their own belongings? You know people are kinda protective of those things.

11/8/10: Medical exam

11/12/10:Get married

11/19/10: I-693 sealed.It means my chest x ray is fine :)

11/20/10: Package [ I-130,I-485,I-765] sent to Lockbox

11/22/10 [Day 1]: Delivered there

11/29/10 [Day 7]: Return receipt from USPS

12/13/10 [Day 21]: Texts and email received [ after 21 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

12/16/10 [Day 24]: Snail copy received

12/18/10 [Day 26]: Every single form touched

12/20/10 [Day 28]: Biometrics letter received

1/13/11 [Day 51]: Biometrics done

1/24/11 [Day 62]: Biometrcis appointment received AGAIN.!!!!!!!!!I was like #######

2/04/11 [Day 72]: Second biometrics done

2/15/11 [Day 83]: EAD in production.

2/18/11 [Day 86]: Interview letter received, set for March 21

2/22/11 [Day 90]: EAD mailed out.

2/25/11 [Day 93]: EAD received

3/21/11 [Day 118]: Interview but left with no decision ToT

3/31/11 [Day 128]: RFE regarding police clearance

4/13/11 [Day 141]: RFE sent

4/19/11 [Day 147]: Card in production

4/22/11 [Day 150]: Welcome2USA letter received

It took 5 stressful months exactly.

okay...I came on tourist visa... I got married after the six month expired...

she made the "NO" questions...ask for evidence...and things like that...

and I know...we sent EVERYTHING...I think it was an error from her...because before we received a RFE, because he didn't sign the affidavit...that was everything they asked for...and we sent it...then we got our interview appointment...

I think she wanted to see it there, and I didn't have it...but it has to be on the package. She started asking about him and work stuff...I told her, he wasn't working since two years ago...he was looking for a job and he didn't find anything so he entered to college. Then I told her we live with his parents...they sign an affidavit too, even though their income isn't enough because he's listed as a dependent and they are helping us, and that we got a joint sponsor, a friend of my dad, who meets the requirements. Then she didn't find the w-2 (2009) of my father-in-law and told me the interview was finished that she was going to send a letter to send her the w-2. and I am so confused because I know it was everything in the package, and I didn't have a RFE for that because the w-2 WAS THERE...the only thing was the affidavit from my husband and it was sent to them.

She was like mad...also she told me to shut up, and the she screamed at me...I don't know what to think...

I feel like we're missing something. :)

Did she ask any questions of your husband or only to you? May I ask what country you're from? Do you think they have any reason to suspect fraud? They can get pretty grumpy if they suspect something is up. It's their job to figure these things out.

Why would she scream at you or tell you to shut up? Everyone has bad days but that seems uncalled for.

24q38dy.jpg

I feel like we're missing something. :)

Did she ask any questions of your husband or only to you? May I ask what country you're from? Do you think they have any reason to suspect fraud? They can get pretty grumpy if they suspect something is up. It's their job to figure these things out.

Why would she scream at you or tell you to shut up? Everyone has bad days but that seems uncalled for.

she made a questions and in the TWO SECONDS I was looking for the taxes and answer her, she told to not say anything and she screamed at me and told me to shut up because I didn't answer on those two seconds...

I'm from venezuela, she also made questions to him, about taxes work, and that's it.

and I know...we sent EVERYTHING...I think it was an error from her...because before we received a RFE, because he didn't sign the affidavit...that was everything they asked for...and we sent it...then we got our interview appointment...

I think she wanted to see it there, and I didn't have it...but it has to be on the package. She started asking about him and work stuff...I told her, he wasn't working since two years ago...he was looking for a job and he didn't find anything so he entered to college. Then I told her we live with his parents...they sign an affidavit too, even though their income isn't enough because he's listed as a dependent and they are helping us, and that we got a joint sponsor, a friend of my dad, who meets the requirements. Then she didn't find the w-2 (2009) of my father-in-law and told me the interview was finished that she was going to send a letter to send her the w-2. and I am so confused because I know it was everything in the package, and I didn't have a RFE for that because the w-2 WAS THERE...the only thing was the affidavit from my husband and it was sent to them.

She was like mad...also she told me to shut up, and the she screamed at me...I don't know what to think...

You may well have sent the W2 of your father in law with the package, but she didn't have it in front of her for whatever reason. Which is why it's always good to make and keep a copy of the exact package you send them in the event they misplace it. Then you can produce it on the spot and you likely wouldn't have gone away with this result.

I agree with trillium that there seems to be pieces missing out of this story. Regardless, all you can do now is wait to see what they send you and respond to that - then let the process run its course from there.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Your interview letter has a very detailed ckeck list for all the documentation needed to prove your bona fide marriage. There is no better list to help you prepare for your interview.

I wonder if you really understood and followed that list thoroughly?

I wonder if you really had all your documentation that you brought in organized?

I wonder if all your answers to your IO's questions were clear and made sense to him?

I don't believe an IO would ask you a question and then right away would tell you to shut up. It just doesn't make sense.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let me get this straight...

Your husband signed an affidavit of support, but he has no income. His parents support him and claim his as a dependent on their taxes, so his parents also submitted an affidavit of support. Does this mean BOTH of his parents signed an affidavit of support? Did they sign an I-864 or an I-864A?

But you say his parent's income isn't enough, so you ALSO got a joint sponsor, is this correct?

I think you made a mess of the affidavit of support requirements. There was no point in his parent's submitting an affidavit of support if they did not have sufficient income to sponsor. Even if they did, one of them would have needed to submit an I-864 and the other would have needed to submit an I-864A. They couldn't both submit an I-864 - an immigrant may have only one joint sponsor - and they couldn't both submit an I-864A in support of your husband's I-864 because HE is THEIR dependent, and not the other way around.

If your joint sponsor's income was sufficient then the only thing you should have submitted was an I-864 from your husband and an I-864 from your joint sponsor, along with the required supporting evidence.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.