AnnB

maybe a bad interview, help...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your interview letter has a very detailed ckeck list for all the documentation needed to prove your bona fide marriage. There is no better list to help you prepare for your interview.

I wonder if you really understood and followed that list thoroughly?

I wonder if you really had all your documentation that you brought in organized?

I wonder if all your answers to your IO's questions were clear and made sense to him?

I don't believe an IO would ask you a question and then right away would tell you to shut up. It just doesn't make sense.

I have to disagree with you! Although I believe that her paperwork seems to have been a mess..IO's DO yell at people, I was got

yelled at from the IO who interviewed me, almost pee'd my pants. However I still got approved.

Some IO's as well as border partol have "power" problems as well as some have bad days who knows?

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Let me get this straight...

Your husband signed an affidavit of support, but he has no income. His parents support him and claim his as a dependent on their taxes, so his parents also submitted an affidavit of support. Does this mean BOTH of his parents signed an affidavit of support? Did they sign an I-864 or an I-864A?

But you say his parent's income isn't enough, so you ALSO got a joint sponsor, is this correct?

I think you made a mess of the affidavit of support requirements. There was no point in his parent's submitting an affidavit of support if they did not have sufficient income to sponsor. Even if they did, one of them would have needed to submit an I-864 and the other would have needed to submit an I-864A. They couldn't both submit an I-864 - an immigrant may have only one joint sponsor - and they couldn't both submit an I-864A in support of your husband's I-864 because HE is THEIR dependent, and not the other way around.

If your joint sponsor's income was sufficient then the only thing you should have submitted was an I-864 from your husband and an I-864 from your joint sponsor, along with the required supporting evidence.

This is what I was thinking, too many I-864's submitted...and the beneficiary not having on hand the supporting documentation (the W-2s from the joint sponsor) could certainly result in the outcome described. With USCIS it really doesn't matter that you already sent in the material, or that you provided it previously. You must always be prepared to show them whatever document whenever they ask for it...telling them that you don't have it will elicit grumpiness from them. OP, it sounds like you will be sent an RFE specifically requesting the supporting documentation of the joint-sponsor. Good luck.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Let me get this straight...

Your husband signed an affidavit of support, but he has no income. His parents support him and claim his as a dependent on their taxes, so his parents also submitted an affidavit of support. Does this mean BOTH of his parents signed an affidavit of support? Did they sign an I-864 or an I-864A?

he signed an I-864, his mother signed another 1-864 and his step-dad signed an I-864A

But you say his parent's income isn't enough, so you ALSO got a joint sponsor, is this correct?

exactly, they signed because they told we were using their income, because he's not working he's studying. so if they income isn't enough does this mean that we are on our own and he's not working or even though they know they are helping us?

I think you made a mess of the affidavit of support requirements. There was no point in his parent's submitting an affidavit of support if they did not have sufficient income to sponsor. Even if they did, one of them would have needed to submit an I-864 and the other would have needed to submit an I-864A. They couldn't both submit an I-864 - an immigrant may have only one joint sponsor - and they couldn't both submit an I-864A in support of your husband's I-864 because HE is THEIR dependent, and not the other way around.

If your joint sponsor's income was sufficient then the only thing you should have submitted was an I-864 from your husband and an I-864 from your joint sponsor, along with the required supporting evidence.

my husband explained to the IO that he wasn't working...so his parents were helping us and that their income isn't enough and that's why we got another person.\\

Edited by Andrea Bomate

This is what I was thinking, too many I-864's submitted...and the beneficiary not having on hand the supporting documentation (the W-2s from the joint sponsor) could certainly result in the outcome described. With USCIS it really doesn't matter that you already sent in the material, or that you provided it previously. You must always be prepared to show them whatever document whenever they ask for it...telling them that you don't have it will elicit grumpiness from them. OP, it sounds like you will be sent an RFE specifically requesting the supporting documentation of the joint-sponsor. Good luck.

there was everything about the joint sponsor who meets the requirements...she just wanted to see the w-2 of his step-dad

Wait...is the stepdad the joint sponsor? Your posts are a bit confusing. It sounds like you're unclear about how the I-864 process works. You are the intending immigrant....your husband, regardless of financial ability or not is your primary sponsor (he fills out an I-864 no matter that he is unemployed and has no income), THEN if the primary sponsor's income is non-existent or insufficient, a joint sponsor also fills out one I-864. In your case, two I-864 (with the appropriate documentation) would have been needed....one from your husband and one from the joint sponsor, the family friend. How many I-864's did you provide?

Wait...is the stepdad the joint sponsor? Your posts are a bit confusing. It sounds like you're unclear about how the I-864 process works. You are the intending immigrant....your husband, regardless of financial ability or not is your primary sponsor (he fills out an I-864 no matter that he is unemployed and has no income), THEN if the primary sponsor's income is non-existent or insufficient, a joint sponsor also fills out one I-864. In your case, two I-864 (with the appropriate documentation) would have been needed....one from your husband and one from the joint sponsor, the family friend. How many I-864's did you provide?

My husband signed the affidavit.

My mother-in-law signed the I-864 and her husband signed an I-864A

And my joint sponsor signed the I-864 he is who meets the requirements.

Then what JimVa... stated in his post is correct (last post on page 1 of this thread) you muddied the I-864 waters with too many of them submitted....and it seems pissed off the IO because you did not have a piece of documentation on hand that the IO asked for at the time of interview. Unfortunate as it is, you have no choice but to wait for the RFE letter from USCIS. It isn't a denial. If you respond to the RFE and a second interview is ordered, please make sure to have all your documentation on hand and ready to be presented. I would, if at all possible sort out the multiple affidavits that they have on file for your petition. Those are binding contracts with the US government...and if not needed wouldn't want them lingering in the file.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I have to disagree with you! Although I believe that her paperwork seems to have been a mess..IO's DO yell at people, I was got

yelled at from the IO who interviewed me, almost pee'd my pants. However I still got approved.

Some IO's as well as border partol have "power" problems as well as some have bad days who knows?

Yelling is one thing, what I wrote above is a totally different thing. I didn't even mention this verb, by the way. Can you show it to me?

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yelling is one thing, what I wrote above is a totally different thing. I didn't even mention this verb, by the way. Can you show it to me?

Your are right, I apoligize I seem to have read your post and mixed another post together. I was still sleepy lol I still

say that OI"s yell though lol

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yeah, ok, that's what I thought.

Well, it's been explained to you already. You shouldn't have submitted any affidavits from your in-laws because their income isn't sufficient to sponsor. The IO doesn't really care how you're being supported. They just need a signed contract from your US citizen spouse. If your spouse doesn't have sufficient income to back up that promise then they also want a signed contract from one joint sponsor who does have sufficient income.

Live and learn. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

so...my husband is studying and we live with his parents...we have our joint sponsor even though we submitted so many affidavits...

what I want to know now...is, if they can give my GC with my husband only studying? because he isn't working at this moment. is there any case similar to this?

I'm sure there are similar cases, but only in the sense that they had a fully documented joint sponsor who met the requirements on his/her own.

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.