BENQ

Has anyone been approved or denied with LUPUS disorder?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am new on vj.

I have the LUPUS disorder however workout 4-5 days a week cardio and weights, blowing, work a full time job. But right now worried about been denied.

If anyone has experience a simular disorder some feed back would be welcomed.

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you give it to another person?

If it is not contagious you have no issue.

You will however need a letter from your doctor for any medications and the medical history of the disorder for the medical.

Specially for trying to find insurance in the US.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you applying for citizenship? Medical issues are not a concern on the citizenship application.

Are you applying for a visa to come to the US as an immigrant? You do need to have an immigration medical but lupus would not be considered a condition that would cause a visa to be denied. You may be asked about the availability of medical insurance for you in the US as immigration may be concerned that your health situation could cause you to become a liability on the American taxpayer, but in and of itself, lupus should not pose any problems - especially if you are submitting the N-400 to become a US citizen after being a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 or 5 years :) .

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I will be moving to USA to marry once K1 visa is approved. We have the package prepared and will be mailing it in a few days. No it is not a disorder that anyone can get. It has been with me from my teens or earlier however did not find out until I was 41 which was 4yrs ago.

Thank everyone for replying, greatly appreciated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I will be moving to USA to marry once K1 visa is approved. We have the package prepared and will be mailing it in a few days. No it is not a disorder that anyone can get. It has been with me from my teens or earlier however did not find out until I was 41 which was 4yrs ago.

Thank everyone for replying, greatly appreciated

This is all based on the I-693 that is fee free from the USCIS, but typically an out of pocket expense for a USCIS approved doctor as many health insurers won't cover this. And since only a USCIS approved doctor can fill out the I-693, he/she has you where they want you.

Made many calls in this phase when I petitioned for my wife and daughter, did find one more reasonable 300 miles away requesting quotes first, and was well worth the trip as saved me thousands for what some of the doctors wanted around here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving from Citizenship discussion to Consulate discussion forum where topics regarding the medical are suggested to be posted

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is all based on the I-693 that is fee free from the USCIS, but typically an out of pocket expense for a USCIS approved doctor as many health insurers won't cover this. And since only a USCIS approved doctor can fill out the I-693, he/she has you where they want you.

Made many calls in this phase when I petitioned for my wife and daughter, did find one more reasonable 300 miles away requesting quotes first, and was well worth the trip as saved me thousands for what some of the doctors wanted around here.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that a civil surgeon could blackmail you for a disease that isn't even on the CDC list, and try to charge you $1000's for signing an I-693? :unsure:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that a civil surgeon could blackmail you for a disease that isn't even on the CDC list, and try to charge you $1000's for signing an I-693? :unsure:

How about quotes exceeding $3,000.00 per person. What really hits you is all those tests you need to get done for in particular, communicable diseases. As one example one doctor wanted 250 bucks for an AIDs test, just draws the blood and sends it to a lab. Found a reasonable doctor that let me use our county nurse to draw that blood and send it to the University of Wisconsin Medical lab and only had to pay them 25 bucks. And that was the same with all the tests we had to have done. Received a certified test result and just handed that to my reasonable doctor. So that saved us a lot of money. But many doctors would not agree to this, want to do their own tests, some even felt extra tests should be conducted not even listed on the I-693 form. Some wanted $3,000.00 per person! So you have to shop around and don't be afraid to get a written quotation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Are you applying for citizenship? Medical issues are not a concern on the citizenship application.

Are you applying for a visa to come to the US as an immigrant? You do need to have an immigration medical but lupus would not be considered a condition that would cause a visa to be denied. You may be asked about the availability of medical insurance for you in the US as immigration may be concerned that your health situation could cause you to become a liability on the American taxpayer, but in and of itself, lupus should not pose any problems - especially if you are submitting the N-400 to become a US citizen after being a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 or 5 years :) .

I am thinking it depends what part of the body is being attacked by lupus.

For example one of my sister in-laws has it and it attacks her kidneys....requires a lot expensive treatments.....lupus can attack any of the major organs in the body......so just me thinking here but they might have to show that her medical will be covered by a good insurance here in the USA or show that she has the ability to travel back to her home country for treatment when needed...if it is in the milder form it could be that the medical condition may not be an issue

just my opinion :)

sara

Timeline

How about quotes exceeding $3,000.00 per person. What really hits you is all those tests you need to get done for in particular, communicable diseases. As one example one doctor wanted 250 bucks for an AIDs test, just draws the blood and sends it to a lab. Found a reasonable doctor that let me use our county nurse to draw that blood and send it to the University of Wisconsin Medical lab and only had to pay them 25 bucks. And that was the same with all the tests we had to have done. Received a certified test result and just handed that to my reasonable doctor. So that saved us a lot of money. But many doctors would not agree to this, want to do their own tests, some even felt extra tests should be conducted not even listed on the I-693 form. Some wanted $3,000.00 per person! So you have to shop around and don't be afraid to get a written quotation.

Bummer. The downside is that USCIS doesn't regulate the fees, so you can't even report their price gouging to USCIS. The good news is that there are a LOT of civil surgeons, so a certain amount of free market competition keeps the honest ones in line. The one we used was a retired doctor who spent all of his time in one of two tiny offices. He didn't get many immigration customers, and spent most of his time on his computer playing the stock market. We paid him $150 each for three full medicals. That included a couple of vaccines, TST, and labs. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

I am thinking it depends what part of the body is being attacked by lupus.

For example one of my sister in-laws has it and it attacks her kidneys....requires a lot expensive treatments.....lupus can attack any of the major organs in the body......so just me thinking here but they might have to show that her medical will be covered by a good insurance here in the USA or show that she has the ability to travel back to her home country for treatment when needed...if it is in the milder form it could be that the medical condition may not be an issue

just my opinion :)

sara

This is a good point. Lupus is not a contagious disease, so it's not on the CDC list. However, I could see how it's possible it could have an affect on the "public charge" requirement. According to the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), consular officers are not supposed to engage in speculative "what if" thinking; i.e., "what if the immigrant gets really sick and needs medical care", etc. However, they are allowed to consider scenarios that they think have a good probability of happening. 9 FAM 40.41 N3.3 refers to this particular scenario:

In determining whether the INA 213A requirements creating a legally binding affidavit have been met, the credibility of an offer of support from a person who meets the definition of a sponsor and who has verifiable resources is not a factor - the affidavit is enforceable regardless of the sponsor’s actual intent and should not be considered by you,
unless there are significant public charge concerns relating to the specific case, such as if the applicant is of advanced age or has a serious medical condition

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

This section of the FAM is referring specifically to the I-864 because it makes reference to INA 213A. However, another section of 9 FAM 40.41 talks about the health of the applicant without referring specifically to the affidavit of support:

You must take into consideration the panel physician's report regarding the applicant's health, especially if there is a prognosis that might prevent or ultimately hinder the applicant from maintaining employment successfully or indicate the likelihood that the alien will require institutionalization.

Long term institutionalization at taxpayer expense would make the immigrant a "public charge", so this particular consideration would depend on what the panel physician has to say about the disease and prognosis for future care requirements.

There is a section of 9 FAM 40.41 that talks specifically about the I-134, but it talks mainly about the sponsor requirements and considerations. The "public charge" considerations for the applicant are presumably the same.

Timeline

thanks you all for your replys

I dont believe I able to take care of myself. I have a condo in the USA nothing owing and my other half has his own home nothing owing. We both will work fulltime and anyone with or without the disorder can become ill. I put my truth in my heavenly father; with his grace all will be well. I will keep everyone informed on our journey. On my way to the gym and then work

Thanks a hold lot

Timeline

thanks you all for your replys

I dont believe I able to take care of myself. I have a condo in the USA nothing owing and my other half has his own home nothing owing. We both will work fulltime and anyone with or without the disorder can become ill. I put my truth in my heavenly father; with his grace all will be well. I will keep everyone informed on our journey. On my way to the gym and then work

Thanks a hold lot

Yes, anyone can get sick anytime, and like I said, consular officers are not supposed to engage in speculative "what if" thinking. I think you would only have a problem if the panel physician writes a bleak prognosis on your medical report. Owning your own condo and home are great, but it's not food and shelter that a CO would be concerned about. It's the cost of long term medical care. The cost of long term medical care or a single serious medical event can easily eclipse all of your other living expenses combined. My mother recently had a heart attack, and the total expenses for five days in the hospital were over $130,000. For someone without insurance this would be catastrophic. Insurance companies won't be required to offer you insurance for a pre-existing medical condition until 2014. Even then, they'll be able to charge you according to the perceived risk.

I'm not saying this is going to be a problem for you. In fact, I think the odds of it being a problem are slim. It all depends on the panel physician's report.

Timeline

I meant to say I have always look after of myself and have never been in the hospital any thing medical related and that would also apply to anyone in the USA. We will have savings unlike alot of people. I lot of people cannot say they have not been to the hospital for anything medical and they dont have the disorder.

let us hope nobody gets sick in the usa

Thanks for all the possitive information and God bless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We were very lucky that my own existing personal doctor for more than 20 years now just happened to be on the list of approved civil surgeons. Her office charges a standard flat fee of $160 to do the exam and fill out the 693 form.:yes:

VanessaDanA600x450.jpg

10-11-2008 Dan & Vanessa First Meet Online

01-15-2009 Dan's First Visit To Vanessa In Colombia

06-27-2009 We Are Engaged!

07-01-2009 Vanessa Asks Her Long Estranged Panamanian Ex For An Official Divorce

10-12-2009 Panama Approves Vanessa's Divorce But DOESN'T MAIL HER ANY NOTICE!!!

01-15-2010 We FINALLY Obtain A Div Cert From The Footdragging Idiots In Panama

02-25-2010 Our Completed I-129 Application Package Dropped Off With The Lawyer

03-01-2010 Lawyer Finds & Fixes Several Errors & Submits Package to VSC

03-10-2010 NOA-1

03-15-2010 Touched

06-01-2010 NOA-2

06-03-2010 NVC Received & New Case # Issued

06-15-2010 NVC Finally Sent File To Bogota Embassy

06-17-2010 DHL Delivers To Bogota Embassy (and disappears in the mail room for 4 days!)

06-22-2010 E-mailed Completed Packet 3 Forms To Embassy Requesting Interview Date

06-29-2010 DOS Confirms By Phone That We Have An Embassy Interview Date On 12 August!

08-12-2010 Interview Successful But Vanessa Must Return With Missing Paperwork For Final Approval

09-01-2010 Papers Now In Hand BUT Can't Get A New Appointment Until 12 Days After Calling PIN

09-13-2010 Vanessa is APPROVED At Follow-up Interview, Awaiting Visa Delivery In 8 - 10 Business Days

10-03-2010 Planned POE In Fort Lauderdale Florida

10-30-2010 Planned Wedding In Orlando Florida

Click On This Link To See Dan's Video Love Song To Vanessa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.