Paul & Gina

Our first post

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

So, we're embarking on this journey & are glad to have been pointed in the direction of this site.

The process is fairly daunting. You look through the pages of posts in this regional discussion & there's so much to take in. I'm getting bamboozled with all of the acronyms & the different form names!! :unsure:

At the same time, we're looking to plan our wedding & are continually worried that the processing times wont fall in our favour. Our paperwork went off in January & we're crossing everything so that we can marry in July when it'll be school vacation time in the States.

Is there anything I can do at this stage in preparation so I'm ready to hit the ground running from the UK? I've already applied for my police check & I'm looking into my vaccinations at the doctors tomorrow. Can I schedule the medical as soon as we receive notification of our case number?

It'd be nice if some of you kind folk could give a basic overview of the process from the stage we're at, like what comes next, so you should do {this} in readiness for {that}, expect to receive {this} by {then}, etc.

We'd like to play our part & become part of this valuable community.

Best wishes,

Paul & Jennifer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

So, we're embarking on this journey & are glad to have been pointed in the direction of this site.

The process is fairly daunting. You look through the pages of posts in this regional discussion & there's so much to take in. I'm getting bamboozled with all of the acronyms & the different form names!! :unsure:

At the same time, we're looking to plan our wedding & are continually worried that the processing times wont fall in our favour. Our paperwork went off in January & we're crossing everything so that we can marry in July when it'll be school vacation time in the States.

Is there anything I can do at this stage in preparation so I'm ready to hit the ground running from the UK? I've already applied for my police check & I'm looking into my vaccinations at the doctors tomorrow. Can I schedule the medical as soon as we receive notification of our case number?

It'd be nice if some of you kind folk could give a basic overview of the process from the stage we're at, like what comes next, so you should do {this} in readiness for {that}, expect to receive {this} by {then}, etc.

Best wishes,

Paul & Jennifer

Welcome. Suggest you join a group of fellow January filers in this forum. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/289651-january-2011-filers/ . Hope to hear from you in the forum.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

Best wishes,

Paul & Jennifer

If you look up the UK forum they will be able to advise better but just a warning if you have only just filed in January depending on where your petition has gone to be processed, I would not bank on July for a wedding possible September. As I see yours is in Vermont and what I am hearing at the moment is Vermont have not even processed last July filers. SO be prepared to have a lot of patience.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Here's a basic flowchart Visa Journey has created for the K1 process. You're on Step 3. Marriage is Step 18. K1 FLOWCHART LINK

The flowchart is very general on the embassy parts because each embassy's times and procedures vary a great deal. At Step 8 of the flowchart, it's best to jump off and get your UK specific info from the UK forum.

People always ask times, but they go up and down like a roller coaster. The time it has taken for somebody getting their interview in London today will be different from somebody just starting today.

Look at Vermont Service Center historically

k1vschistory.gif

Do you see how people today getting their NOA2 (approval of the I-129F petition) waited 3 times longer than those who got approvals in July? It could be better or worse for you.

So once the petition is approved, the visa has to be applied for through London. Here's how processing times have gone there.

london-k1doshistory.gif

Just guessing, I don't think a July wedding is a reasonable plan, but the roller coaster timelines could start heading down...you never know for sure.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hey, Welcome and good luck with your process. You can't do much to get ready for the interview until you get your NOA2. Right now you're waiting on your first NOA. Once you get that all you can do is wait for your NOA2. Right now Vermont is very slow. Once you get your NOA2, then it goes to NVC and then it's transferred to London. Once London gets it is when you get your London case number.. Starts out LND. Once you get your London case number/Packet 3 (1st packet of papers you get from London) you can book your medical, and start collecting all the paperwork: Police certificate, I-134, Relationship evidence...

Best of luck to you both!!

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I would send off for the police cert immediately after NOA2.

Right now it might be good to look up which jabs you will need. Getting them done now at the GP is much better than getting them done in the US.

Good luck on the process!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Timeline

Hi, Paul & Gina.

Being someone who has been through this process already (I am now in the US, happily married and having just gone through Adjustment of Status) the best advice I can give you is to prepare to spend a lot of time waiting and hearing nothing. I often likened the whole process akin to throwing paperwork into a black hole and hoping for the best.

We first filed back in March 2009, and I moved to the US in April 2010. Don't freak out too much about the time - I had a massive delay with my medical (I needed a letter from my doctor to explain my medical condition, and it took them months to do it for me) and once my visa was approved (January 2010) I remained in England until April so that I could have plenty of time to get everything in order before I left. If I'd been a bit more organized about getting the medical letter sooner, and hadn't wanted to delay leaving for so long after my visa was approved, I probably could have easily left England before the end of 2009.

I'll let other members here (those that have gone through the process more recently than I have) go over the details of what to do when. Wait times and the sort tend to change a lot, so I'm sure my experiences are vastly different to what more recent applicants have had.

I just wanted to say that I know it's very daunting. When my husband (then my fiance) and I first decided to do this----well! I remember crying because it was all so daunting and scary! Yes, there are horror stories, but speaking as someone who has been through this process before, be prepared for a few hitches along the way (they say almost everyone has at least one thing go wrong at some point or another) and you'll be good.

We definitely had a major issue when I arrived in the US and needed to file for Adjustment of Status (which you do after you get married) because I wasn't up to date with my vaccinations. When I had my medical, they told me that I should get it done in the US because it would be "easier and cheaper". But they were waaaaay off. Getting my vaccinations done in the US cost us well over $100 and a three hour drive to (and then a three hour drive back from) the doctors. I almost ended up being forced to re-take the entire medical again (would have cost over $200) although I insisted I was just given the vaccination and it all worked out okay.

So, if you're not up to date with your vaccines, get them done before the medical!

I cannot stress how valuable this place here is as a resource for those going through this process. There are some wonderful members here who have a tremendous amount of valuable experience to share. My husband and I brought a book to help us through the process, but we soon found that things change so often that the book was not always up-to-date. These forums are a great place to come if you have questions, just need to vent about the stresses of the whole process, or need to be amongst those who understand.

Good luck with your visa journey!

Edited by FrostyMist

Timeline

Hi Gina!

My best advice...Make sure you don't wash your passport in the laundry.

/sigh

It sounds like you are on top of things, and as long as you get it all handled in advance, you should be good to go. Are you the USC or the Brit? ;)

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Timeline

Good morning all,

Thanks for the prompt responses & invaluable information. As mentioned, this is an example of how much a resource this site is.

As it stands, we received the hard copy of NOA1 via US mail yesterday. I'm visiting my doctors at lunchtime today in fact to check my vaccination records & arrange any boosters.

I'm Paul, from England (Bournemouth to be precise for the past 6 years, originally from Dudley). Jennifer/Gina is from Rosenberg in Texas. That's Christened name / family-nickname to avoid any confusion!! I think this process would be even trickier if there were three involved!! :jest: We'll stick to one of them from now on! :)

Have a good day everybody,

Paul & Gina

Timeline

Good morning all,

Thanks for the prompt responses & invaluable information. As mentioned, this is an example of how much a resource this site is.

As it stands, we received the hard copy of NOA1 via US mail yesterday. I'm visiting my doctors at lunchtime today in fact to check my vaccination records & arrange any boosters.

I'm Paul, from England (Bournemouth to be precise for the past 6 years, originally from Dudley). Jennifer/Gina is from Rosenberg in Texas. That's Christened name / family-nickname to avoid any confusion!! I think this process would be even trickier if there were three involved!! :jest: We'll stick to one of them from now on! :)

Have a good day everybody,

Paul & Gina

Timeline

Well hello Paul! Sorry I assumed you were Gina! Welcome to the boards!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

I'm Paul, from England (Bournemouth to be precise for the past 6 years, originally from Dudley). Jennifer/Gina is from Rosenberg in Texas.

OMG! You will be neighbors with TBoneTX, si man! He's not from the UK, but frequents the UK forum from time to time. We live about an hour away, which is a short drive in Texas. We were in Rosenberg two weeks ago.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
OMG! You will be neighbors with TBoneTX, si man! He's not from the UK, but frequents the UK forum from time to time. We live about an hour away, which is a short drive in Texas. We were in Rosenberg two weeks ago.
Si, man -- we're in Sugar Land, just a few miles up the freeway. Rosenberg is growing rapidly and is very nice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.