Brusik

Original or Certified Okay

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

I saw in earlier post originals required by NVC

Why would my wife send her original birth and divorce etc.. NVC asked for certified documents of original.

What constitutes an original?? I sent all notarized copies to USCIS

Photocopy Requirement - In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents

Timeline

I saw in earlier post originals required by NVC

Why would my wife send her original birth and divorce etc.. NVC asked for certified documents of original.

What constitutes an original?? I sent all notarized copies to USCIS

Photocopy Requirement - In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents

I also read that Court documents such as Birth and divorce can't be certified??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Certified copies are NOT THE SAME as notarized copies.

Certified copies of the documents are the copies given by the issuing bodies. In most countries the certfied copies are what is referred to as originals. No photocopies. All will returned at the interview stage. Of course make copies for yourself and keep before sending the originals off.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

If you get two birth certificate from your hospital of birth, one of them is original and another is certified copy. But if you were to take your certificate down the road to Kinko's and make a copy, it's copy. You can then have it notorized. But it ain't certified copy. You wife should just go ahead and submit the original document. If she does so, she can just include regular copies. It'll be all right. You get everything back. Except the copies, of course.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I dunno, darkdancer - the instructions seemed crytal clear to me .

Photocopies to USCIS

then at NVC ->

originals or certified copies (certified by original issuing authority)

plus a photocopy.

I guess if you were used to 'notarized copies' being taken as 'originals' in yer spouse's home country,

where the notary work was done NOT at the issuing authority,

then I can smell the confusion.

I also read that Court documents such as Birth and divorce can't be certified?? in some countries - that is true - but said court document CAN be re-issued from THAT court, as well, hence creating a new 'original document'.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

And be sure to check whether you need an Apostille to "legalize" the docs--for example, we will be going thru the embassy in Costa Rica, and my wife was born in Mexico, and they require that we have an Apostille attached to her original (Not copy) birth certificate.

Timeline

My wife takes her originals to translater and they apostle and notarize these.. What you saying is this is not the proper way..

So she needs to get certified copy of divorce and birth ...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

no, not necessarily, that, either .

IF she has the originals , originals can be submitted into NVC, and IF photocopies are included, she can ask for the originals, and get them back, on interview day at the Embassy IV unit right during the interview.

The translated document usually not need any notarization or apostille. Usually.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It all comes down to the embassy--as usual. The embassy in Costa Rica requires an apostille for any documents that originated outside the US and where the source country is part of the Hague convention. For example, CR just ratified the Hague convention a couple of weeks ago, and once the CR government publishes its own apostille procedures, then all documents that are sourced in CR will need an apostille in the future--no time frame yet, and we hope we get thru the process before the new law kicks in, but if we need an additional apostille or two, then so be it.

The message is simple--check it out since every embassy has its own spin on things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.