15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

My wife (USC) and I have a car (we are both in the title). Today I checked the mail and I found a letter from the parking enforcement center addressed to both of us containing a $40 ticket for a parking meter violation. I checked the date and the time of the alleged violation, and I couldn't understand how I could have gotten a parking ticket since at that time I was at work. I ask my wife and it comes out that she got the ticket but didn't tell me anything and paid. If I wasn't the one opening the mailbox today, I would have never even known about it, because she paid from her personal bank account.

Now I am wondering if this ticket will have to be disclosed somewhere along the journey. Technically I didn't get any ticket, SHE did. but being the car under both names, WE got it.

Also, will this cause me any problems in the immigration process? I currently have a 2-y conditional GC.

Thanks for your feedback.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

But you paid the ticket right? That just shows that you are contributing to the local economy. They'll be thrilled to keep you now! But really, do not worry. I am sure this won't cause any problem. :)

Timeline

ok thanks, it would have been a real bummer to have problems because someone else got a ticket with a vehicle that is also under my name. but I won't tell my wife that it's fine or else she will start collecting tickets :bonk: she must keep thinking that I will get in real trouble :devil: and hopefully she will be more careful next time.

Do I still need to disclose this somewhere at a certain point?

Nope, no need to disclose it.. only traffic violations that are fined with a fee of 250 USD or higher could pose a problem to the USCIS and need to be reported. If you're under that amount, you have nothing to worry :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Timeline

yeah, it's "just" 40 dollars. it's just a stupid parking ticket because half of the parking lot of the public library is free, and the other half is not. she parked in the non free part and didn't notice the sign, returned the books to the library, and when she came out she found a ticket on the windshield.

ok, thanks for the reassurance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Tranquillo:)

I just got a speeding ticket and it will cost me 400 dollars to get it off my record and go to stupid traffic school...anyways, I don't remember seeing anywhere on the forms a part where you need to disclose traffic tickets so I think it's ok!

What is not ok is the amount of the fine but I guess lesson learned! :rofl:

yeah, it's "just" 40 dollars. it's just a stupid parking ticket because half of the parking lot of the public library is free, and the other half is not. she parked in the non free part and didn't notice the sign, returned the books to the library, and when she came out she found a ticket on the windshield.

ok, thanks for the reassurance.

T

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Tranquillo:)

I just got a speeding ticket and it will cost me 400 dollars to get it off my record and go to stupid traffic school...anyways, I don't remember seeing anywhere on the forms a part where you need to disclose traffic tickets so I think it's ok!

What is not ok is the amount of the fine but I guess lesson learned! :rofl:

T

I have to add something to this.

My husband got a speeding on New Year's Eve... just 2 weeks after his arrival. ($157)

He is still on his international driver's license and the officer didn't want to see his passport. So.... I don't know how the officer DIDN'T see his name, but.... he listed Moh's first and middle name as his city and country! :rofl:

It looks like his name is Amman Jordan AlHosainy!

Timeline

I have to add something to this.

My husband got a speeding on New Year's Eve... just 2 weeks after his arrival. ($157)

He is still on his international driver's license and the officer didn't want to see his passport. So.... I don't know how the officer DIDN'T see his name, but.... he listed Moh's first and middle name as his city and country! :rofl:

It looks like his name is Amman Jordan AlHosainy!

he was lucky because CA law says that after 10 days you need to either obtain a CA driver license or quit driving. Had the officer seen that he had been in CA for 2 weeks already, then he would have gotten an extra ticket for unlicensed driving. for that you have to go to court and pay a $hitload of money. watch out.

I just looked it up in the instructions, and it seems I was wrong about the $250.. it seems it is double of that amount: 500 USD... This is what it states:

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

So yeah, the 400 USD one is also no problem indeed, but if you would have had a fine of 500 USD or above, you would have to disclose them.

N400 Timeline:

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

04/17/12 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I wonder if a parking ticket could be used as an evidence for ROC as the mail was addressed to both of you? :devil::D

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

I wonder if a parking ticket could be used as an evidence for ROC as the mail was addressed to both of you? :devil::D

:blink: lmao that's a nice one xD :lol:

N400 Timeline:

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

04/17/12 - Biometrics

Timeline

AHAHA. well, at least it shows that we have joint title to the car, although it's not the best evidence since we can provide the pink slip.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.