lucky & candy

Boyfriend on B2 - does US govt check Facebook?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My boyfriend who lives in Turkey has his interview for a tourist visa in 3 days. We met this summer when he rented a room from me while he was here on a work/travel J1 visa.

He plans to say during his interview, that he is visiting me, a friend, while he is here on his university break, as well as doing some traveling. He fears that if he says he is visiting a girlfriend that they might assume he is planning to stay here. We were planning on applying for the K1 visa a few weeks after he is here. He will then return to Turkey after about 6 weeks in the United States to finish his last semester of school and then graduating.

I worry that if he says he is visiting a friend, and then we apply for K1 several weeks later, that it will look bad for us. Any thoughts on this subject?

Another question I have not seen anything on the forum about...On Facebook we have listed each other as boyfriend/girlfriend. Does anyone know if the US government looks at things like this prior to the interview?

Thank you for your thoughts on these questions! We have been apart for over 3 months and can't bear to think of being apart another 7-9 months (I have 2 children and cannot travel to visit him).

February 26, 2011 - Mailed I-129F

March 4, 2011 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My boyfriend who lives in Turkey has his interview for a tourist visa in 3 days. We met this summer when he rented a room from me while he was here on a work/travel J1 visa.

He plans to say during his interview, that he is visiting me, a friend, while he is here on his university break, as well as doing some traveling. He fears that if he says he is visiting a girlfriend that they might assume he is planning to stay here. We were planning on applying for the K1 visa a few weeks after he is here. He will then return to Turkey after about 6 weeks in the United States to finish his last semester of school and then graduating.

I worry that if he says he is visiting a friend, and then we apply for K1 several weeks later, that it will look bad for us. Any thoughts on this subject?

Another question I have not seen anything on the forum about...On Facebook we have listed each other as boyfriend/girlfriend. Does anyone know if the US government looks at things like this prior to the interview?

Thank you for your thoughts on these questions! We have been apart for over 3 months and can't bear to think of being apart another 7-9 months (I have 2 children and cannot travel to visit him).

He should NOT lie to them, even if it ends up meaning that his visa is denied. If he is planning on finishing school there, maybe he can show a lot of ties to home including proof that he is enrolled in school for that term and other ties. Lying for this could end up screwing you over for the K1, AOS, ROC, and eventually naturalization if he wants to do that. It would be material misrepresentation and that can be disastrous when they discover it. It will snowball because you'll have to continue the lie forever - including applying for a K1 when, according to your story, you would have been dating for a matter of weeks prior to engagement. I hope he gets the visa so you can see each other, but it's not worth a lifetime of problems to see him now. Good luck.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

Definitely don't lie- tell the truth. When my husband went for his tourist visa a few years ago we were nervous about this too, actually really nervous about it. During Efe's interview they asked who he was visiting, he said 'a friend,' and then they asked if I was his girlfriend and he said yes. If your boyfriend is applying for the tourist visa and has strong ties to Turkey (i.e. school) then in my personal opinion I think that you be in a favorable situation.

11/29/2010 Sent AOS package
12/10/2010 NOA1
01/07/2011 AOS transfer to CSC
01/11/2011 Biometrics
2/08/2011 AOS approved
2/22/2011 Green card in hand!

Timeline

NEVER lie, specifically because there is no point. They will know he has a fiance in the US as soon as you file the K-1.

He should carry strong ties to Turkey

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

People don't need to read facebook to get information off of it. Facebook is not as safe as they say it is. Govt can easly do a search on the internet and get a bunch of information anyone has posted anywhere. There is even a new "ebook" online that collects information from facebook and posts it with phone numbers, income, house price, house information, it takes photos off facebook and puts them on there and its very creepy to find out some random online book that people can search has all your private information about you available to anyone who puts your name into its search.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your replies...and I agree with you. Honesty is the best policy so they say, and in almost all situations I feel this is true. I hope this is one of them.

And yes, I feel you are both correct that it is fairly easy, especially for the government, to find personal information regarding everyone off the internet. So once again, it is best to be honest. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

February 26, 2011 - Mailed I-129F

March 4, 2011 - NOA1

Timeline

Laural Scott offers free immigration chats on Wednesdays. Her most recent chat transcripts have someone asking your exact question. Her answer was YES, USCIS and US consular officers do check social networking sites for some people att random or people they just want to check out.

Honesty is the best policy

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Seems most of your point were covered, but there was something in your post that did not make sense to me.

U said your bf wants to visit u on B1/B2 and while he is here you want to file for K1 and then he will stay in US for 6 weeks and he will go back to home town to complete his last semester and then come back.

Unfortunately K1 is not a multiple entry visa and he cannot return back on K1.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yes, FaceBook has given the keys to the feds - you've nothing to worry about, really !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Absolutely honesty is the best policy and considering that you have not yet filed the K-1 visa, although he might state he is visiting a girlfriend, people requests visitor visas for similar type situations all the time. If he is honest with them, it is more likely that his visitor's visa will be approved and make things easier for you all down the road.

As for Facebook, remember that social networking sites are basically public information and this IS the government that we are talking about here. They can access many things and yes certainly, especially if they have reason to question someone, they will most likely utilize these various tools to look into people and their activities.

However, if your fiance is honest in the first place, then what you have listed on Facebook should not work against you.

Hope this helps

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.