win.lai1

Concurrently Filing: Photocopies or Original?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

I will be concurrently filing the I-130 and I-485 very soon. I have read from certain posts that all photocopies are accepted. But, the instructions asks for Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate. Confused. :help:

Questions:

1. Which documents may I send in a photocopy of? Of course the signed I-130 and I-485 will be sent.

2. Since both packets asks for a marriage certificate, will ONE copy of the marriage certificate be enough since I will be filing concurrently?

3. Does the Marriage Certificate have to be a "certified copy" or a photocopy is OK?

4. Sworn Affidavits: Photocopies or Original?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you're filing the Adjustment of Status Packet then .... include the certified/original in the I130 ... make a copy and make reference as to the location of the original document... For sworn affidavits.. it does not mater.. that's probably not the "primary" evidence of your proof... as to "establishing a relationship the marriage cert. does that.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Which documents may I send in a photocopy of? Of course the signed I-130 and I-485 will be sent.

All of the USCIS forms you send should be originals, but keep TWO photocopies for your records. Send photocopies of all passports, official documents, etc (anything that is not replaceable). You never know when things will get lost in the process.

2. Since both packets asks for a marriage certificate, will ONE copy of the marriage certificate be enough since I will be filing concurrently?

I've heard of people sending one copy and they were fine while others got an RFE. For our package, we sent two just to be safe. Nobody ever gets an RFE for sending too much info. We got three certified copies of our marriage certificate - one for the I-130, one for the I-485 and one for our interview.

3. Does the Marriage Certificate have to be a "certified copy" or a photocopy is OK?

Certified.

4. Sworn Affidavits: Photocopies or Original?

I'm not sure since we didn't need any. If it is something that is easily replaced, than I would send the original but keep two photocopies for yourself. If it's hard to replace, send the copy and keep the original for your interview.

Thanks everyone for the help.

No problem and good luck!

Timeline

If you're filing the Adjustment of Status Packet then .... include the certified/original in the I130 ... make a copy and make reference as to the location of the original document... For sworn affidavits.. it does not mater.. that's probably not the "primary" evidence of your proof... as to "establishing a relationship the marriage cert. does that.

I could put the certified/original with I-130, and have the photocopy with the I-495 packet, then make reference on the cover page of the I-485 that the original is also included, but in the I-130?

Thanks RICARDO4EVA2~

But, as Zooch76, I will try to obtain more Certified Copies for safety's sake.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I could put the certified/original with I-130, and have the photocopy with the I-495 packet, then make reference on the cover page of the I-485 that the original is also included, but in the I-130?

Thanks RICARDO4EVA2~

But, as Zooch76, I will try to obtain more Certified Copies for safety's sake.

Ofcourse you're welcome. So you so in the "I485 packet" ... you will place it in the same mailing envelope as the I-130. Sure can get a certified copy wont hurt then just the additional waiting time and cost. I filed for my parents and sure enough only used 1 original document..

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

A Certified copy is not needed. The VJ Guides are wrong on that. A normal photocopy of the marriage certificate is all that is required. Bring the original to the interview in case they wish to see them.

This link explains that the only originals required are the forms themselves.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4203194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=9059d9808bcbd010VgnVCM100000d1f1d6a1RCRD

Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think there's some confusion about copies and certified copies.

There is one, and only one, original copy of the marriage certificate. This is the document that contains the original signatures of the married couple and the JP. In most states, that original document is kept on file by the county clerk's office. I don't know of any state or county that gives the original to the married couple or anyone else.

A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document which has been certified to be an authentic copy by the county clerk. They do this by applying a certification stamp to the copy indicating the date and place the copy was mode. The paper containing the original county clerk's stamp is an "original certified copy". A photocopy of that paper is a "copy of a certified copy".

USCIS will usually accept a copy of a certified copy with a petition. If, for some reason, they question the validity of the copy then they'll either send an RFE for the original certified copy, or they'll ask to examine the original certified copy at the interview. What they won't accept is a copy of the marriage certificate (or marriage license) which was made before the certificate was filed with the county clerk, and which does not contain an image of the county clerk's certification stamp, either original or copy.

I have never sent an original copy of any document to USCIS for any reason. I've also never gotten an RFE for an original document, but I do know people who have, mainly because the copies they made were faint and illegible. If you're paranoid about getting an RFE, and you can easily get another certified copy, then send an original certified copy. Otherwise, a photocopy of the certified copy is usually all they need.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I think there's some confusion about copies and certified copies.

There is one, and only one, original copy of the marriage certificate. This is the document that contains the original signatures of the married couple and the JP. In most states, that original document is kept on file by the county clerk's office. I don't know of any state or county that gives the original to the married couple or anyone else.

A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document which has been certified to be an authentic copy by the county clerk. They do this by applying a certification stamp to the copy indicating the date and place the copy was mode. The paper containing the original county clerk's stamp is an "original certified copy". A photocopy of that paper is a "copy of a certified copy".

USCIS will usually accept a copy of a certified copy with a petition. If, for some reason, they question the validity of the copy then they'll either send an RFE for the original certified copy, or they'll ask to examine the original certified copy at the interview. What they won't accept is a copy of the marriage certificate (or marriage license) which was made before the certificate was filed with the county clerk, and which does not contain an image of the county clerk's certification stamp, either original or copy.

I have never sent an original copy of any document to USCIS for any reason. I've also never gotten an RFE for an original document, but I do know people who have, mainly because the copies they made were faint and illegible. If you're paranoid about getting an RFE, and you can easily get another certified copy, then send an original certified copy. Otherwise, a photocopy of the certified copy is usually all they need.

So, as long as the "copy of the certified copy" (with the stamp) is clean, legible, and clear, USCIS will accept it?And, as long as all the copies are legible, USCIS will accept it?

I hope I am understanding you perfectly.

Once again, thanks a lot~

Timeline

A Certified copy is not needed. The VJ Guides are wrong on that. A normal photocopy of the marriage certificate is all that is required. Bring the original to the interview in case they wish to see them.

This link explains that the only originals required are the forms themselves.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4203194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=9059d9808bcbd010VgnVCM100000d1f1d6a1RCRD

Good luck!

So, like JimVaPhuong said below, as long as the photocopy of the marriage certificate is 'clearly legible,' then USCIS will not RFE for an original? Am I correct?

I have also read your link that you've sent me, and I do have a question about one point. They want an original of the translated documents. My wife has her birth certificate in Chinese along with the English translated version; PLUS Translation Certificate in Chinese and in English, 4 documents total. She got this all done in China, if I send in those originals (like the link described), there is no way we could order copies of those documents for the interview.

So, may I send in 'clean, and legible' photocopies of those 4 documents?

Many thanks to all.

So, like JimVaPhuong said below, as long as the photocopy of the marriage certificate is 'clearly legible,' then USCIS will not RFE for an original? Am I correct?

I have also read your link that you've sent me, and I do have a question about one point. They want an original of the translated documents. My wife has her birth certificate in Chinese along with the English translated version; PLUS Translation Certificate in Chinese and in English, 4 documents total. She got this all done in China, if I send in those originals (like the link described), there is no way we could order copies of those documents for the interview.

Many thanks to all.

Yep, that's right.

I believe they mean that if your wife has a translation made, they would want the original printout of the translation with the translator's real signature on it. The instructions say the only thing they want an original of is things that are made specifically for USCIS, like forms. You are not required to submit original BCs because you need those for other things in life! So, if I understand you correctly, that would be a photocopy of the BC, and the originals of the others (make a copy for your records). You can bring the copy to your interview.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Yep, that's right.

I believe they mean that if your wife has a translation made, they would want the original printout of the translation with the translator's real signature on it. The instructions say the only thing they want an original of is things that are made specifically for USCIS, like forms. You are not required to submit original BCs because you need those for other things in life! So, if I understand you correctly, that would be a photocopy of the BC, and the originals of the others (make a copy for your records). You can bring the copy to your interview.

Good luck.

Thank you, sir!!!!

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Many thanks to all.

Yes, send clear and legible photocopies.

The original documents I have usually have some different color stuff on them, like translator certification stamps, county clerk certification stamps, whatever. I made color copies to make it obvious that these were copies of the original, and not second generation photocopies. Actually, I just scanned the originals into my computer, pasted them into a word processor document (slightly reduced to fit the page), and put a caption at the top of the page indicating what the document was. I did this with the original I-129F petition, as well as the AOS petition. I've never personally gotten an RFE for an original document.

If you end up getting an RFE for a document that's difficult to replace, such as a birth certificate, then include a letter requesting they return the original after examining it, and include a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to use to return it. Include additional photocopies for them to keep. I helped a friend respond to an RFE for his original birth certificate when he was petitioning for his brother, and I included the letter and envelope. His original birth certificate was issued before the end of the VN war, and it was very fragile and faint, so the copy he sent was difficult to read. USCIS approved his petition and returned his birth certificate in the envelope we provided.

You should also bring the original of any document you submitted when you go to the interview as the IO may ask to examine it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Yes, send clear and legible photocopies.

The original documents I have usually have some different color stuff on them, like translator certification stamps, county clerk certification stamps, whatever. I made color copies to make it obvious that these were copies of the original, and not second generation photocopies. Actually, I just scanned the originals into my computer, pasted them into a word processor document (slightly reduced to fit the page), and put a caption at the top of the page indicating what the document was. I did this with the original I-129F petition, as well as the AOS petition. I've never personally gotten an RFE for an original document.

If you end up getting an RFE for a document that's difficult to replace, such as a birth certificate, then include a letter requesting they return the original after examining it, and include a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to use to return it. Include additional photocopies for them to keep. I helped a friend respond to an RFE for his original birth certificate when he was petitioning for his brother, and I included the letter and envelope. His original birth certificate was issued before the end of the VN war, and it was very fragile and faint, so the copy he sent was difficult to read. USCIS approved his petition and returned his birth certificate in the envelope we provided.

You should also bring the original of any document you submitted when you go to the interview as the IO may ask to examine it.

Thank you so much. Very very helpful reply. Hope those searching about the same info in the future can read this post!

Once again, thanks everyone and happy new years!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.