^_^

Verizon to Finally Get iPhone

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm actually surprised that Verizon would make the announcement and not Apple. It's hard to image the control freak not basking in the spotlight.

From http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/01/07/businessinsider-heres-why-steve-jobs-would-let-verizon-announce-the-verizon-iphone-2011-1.DTL:

... people on Twitter are wondering why Steve Jobs would let Verizon announce this, instead of an Apple-hosted event.

Simple answer: Because this isn't a new product. It's last year's iPhone 4, with an antenna that can talk to Verizon's CDMA network.

Apple doesn't host a big press conference every time another European carrier starts selling the iPhone.

From http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/01/07/businessinsider-heres-why-steve-jobs-would-let-verizon-announce-the-verizon-iphone-2011-1.DTL:

... people on Twitter are wondering why Steve Jobs would let Verizon announce this, instead of an Apple-hosted event.

Simple answer: Because this isn't a new product. It's last year's iPhone 4, with an antenna that can talk to Verizon's CDMA network.

Apple doesn't host a big press conference every time another European carrier starts selling the iPhone.

The announcement for a Verizon iPhone is huge. It will break every other Apple sales record many times over.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I sold my iPhone to an iSheep yesterday on Ebay within a half hour of posting the listing I had 2 messages from 2 different people.

Sold it for $450

My bill went from $130 to $45 and I got a better phone (LG Optimus M)...

$45 includes unlimited internet, unlimited texting, unlimited calling, includes taxes/fees......And I get all the apps that an iPhone has ...

The hassle-free LG Optimus M, powered by Android™ 2.2 is the ideal smartphone. It features a 3.2" touchscreen for clear viewing, Google Voice™ Actions, so tasks like online search, shopping and music are an easy voice command away, and turn by turn directions to get you wherever you need to go. What's more, Optimus M can connect to Wi-Fi® hotspots. Optimus M, smart and easy to understand.

Features

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Yawn... was on ATT before they introduced the iPhone and when they did, didn't even want it, not able to replace the battery and upgrade storage, killed it for me.. plus, overpriced(when it first came out).. since then, never looked at an iPhone...

Was looking for a phone with bigger display.. Verizon's Droid X solved that for me.. root the phone, install custom ROMs/apps, + FREE wi-fi tethering, even better, rather have the freedom to do what I want with my phone than being told what you can't do with it(and no, jailbreaking is not the same as rooting your phone)...

I still have my account with ATT(HTC Fuze now belongs to my wife.. :whistle: ), never had any problems with ATT network in my area. Brougth both phones to work, Droid X was getting between 1-2 bars, while my HTC Fuze had full bars.. but outside of work, they seem to be equal...

There are alot of new Androids coming out.. finally ATT has some nice ones as well, Moto ATRIX caught my eye... so my wife might be getting my Droid X soon.. :lol: .... but would like to get another HTC phone... :thumbs: always liked their phones, just waiting for the dust to clear up and see what is out there.. :pop:

"No saan nga makaammo nga nangtaliaw ti naggapuanna, Saan a makadanon ti papananna..."

*04/23/10 - GC recieved in the mail!! d( -_-)b
*07/30/12 - ROC Approved!!
*08/08/12 - 10/yr GC received in the mail!!

Signal bars don't mean much when comparing one phone to another as there is no standard for calibration and also a phone with strong rf will make and hold a call with a weaker signal, regardless of bars. One bar on your Droid X may be better than 2 bars on another phone. For what it's worth, Motorola phones usually have good reception, or at least that's the case on Verizon for a long time now.

I think the thing that amuses me the most is that an iPhone isn't the best at being a phone. It's got all the bells and whistles, but others have better rf and call clarity and quality.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I liked my iPhone when I had one but it was years ago and it was cheaper and better than my Blackberry. Some people are just loyalists. Some people (like my husband) love all things Samsung so our house is a samsung house, a friend is a Nintendo fan so the majority of his consoles (and he has just about every console ever made) are Nintendo and he's only recently started branching out to others. Some people are Blackberry mad but after using one for a few years, it's obviously not a "regular persons" phone, it's a business phone.

If I can find a phone that's as pretty as my old phone (I don't like the iPhone 4's looks) and does the same stuff, and is cheaper then I'll get it. My husband is keen on one of the new Samsung android phones but Verizon doesn't have it yet (apparently getting it in Feb/March) so we'll wait.

Signal bars don't mean much when comparing one phone to another as there is no standard for calibration and also a phone with strong rf will make and hold a call with a weaker signal, regardless of bars. One bar on your Droid X may be better than 2 bars on another phone. For what it's worth, Motorola phones usually have good reception, or at least that's the case on Verizon for a long time now.

I think the thing that amuses me the most is that an iPhone isn't the best at being a phone. It's got all the bells and whistles, but others have better rf and call clarity and quality.

Oh, you mean like iPhone 4G antenagate issue, and Apple put out vids on showing the Droid X getting a death grip to make the bars go down? :whistle:http://blogs.computerworld.com/16641/apple_pulls_droid_x_attack_video_from_web_site .... if it's a bad design, learn from it and move on, don't try to take other phones down with you, makes them look like a poor sport.. I would of bought the gen1 iPhone when it first came out if it had those features I mentioned in my first post, so, I'm not hating on Apple products... just their attitude...

Anyways, the bars made a difference... had my wife called me on my Droid X and I had to tell her to call me on my HTC Fuze cus she was cutting out on me.. HTC fuze, was clear and no static...maybe ATT had closer antenas to my work, who knows... but like I said, other than that, the DX works like a charm, no complaints...

"No saan nga makaammo nga nangtaliaw ti naggapuanna, Saan a makadanon ti papananna..."

*04/23/10 - GC recieved in the mail!! d( -_-)b
*07/30/12 - ROC Approved!!
*08/08/12 - 10/yr GC received in the mail!!

The signal strength made the difference. You can take 3 different phones from the same carrier and place them side by side and the bars won't be the same even though the signal is uniformly present. In a weak signal area a phones rf capability is the important factor in whether it can make a call or not. A phone with good rf can show no bars and make a call, while a phone with poor may show one bar and not be able to connect.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country:
Timeline
no, jailbreaking is not the same as rooting your phone

Really, how so?

I would say the similarities are more numerous than the differences.

The biggest difference is that the Android Market isn't as restrictive as Apple's App Store.

Otherwise, rooting an android device does exactly what jailbreaking an iDevice does: It gives you access to install apps outside of the designed market/store and allows you to install hacks/modifications that would otherwise be blocked by design through the will of your carrier.

FWIW, I am not an Apple Fanboi. I've had Android, Windows Mobile & iPhone devices. I've cooked my own roms, rooted & jailbroken devices. I was an active Moderator on XDA-Developers forum for many years.