INCT

How to sponsor my two Chilean minor Nephews to visit America

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi,

My husband and I would like to bring his two nephews over from Chile for a vacation. They are 14 & 15 year old, and I would think it is best if I sponsored them as I am a U.S. Citizen and I am assuming it would be more likely for them to get a visa if I did the paperwork. There parents will sign off on whatever documents necessary. Please let me know what forms I need to submit and where to submit it.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Visitor Visas are applied for by the person themselves in their own country. 14&15 year old would not be able to fly alone I don't think, you will want to check the age requirement for air travel.

edit to add the website for you http://chile.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They would be applying for a B2 Visitor Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Seems familiar, they apply for a B2 Visitor Visa from the local Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

My husband and I would like to bring his two nephews over from Chile for a vacation. They are 14 & 15 year old, and I would think it is best if I sponsored them as I am a U.S. Citizen and I am assuming it would be more likely for them to get a visa if I did the paperwork. There parents will sign off on whatever documents necessary. Please let me know what forms I need to submit and where to submit it.

Thank you

no such thing as a "sponsorship" for a B2 visa... the applicant must submit the needed forms starting with the DS-160 (check the consulate site for particulars). A USC being involved and doing all the work does not increase or ensure visa issuance as the application is submitted with proof of fee payment locally by the applicant on the day of the interview

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate thread moved from 'Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to the US" as they are visiting, not immigrating, and merged with existing thread already in this forum. Duplicate post removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Actually their parents are the ones that need to support them. They need to fill the DS-160 online, and need to compile all the support documents, such as letters from school (for the kids), bank statements, deed, car title, Business information, employment, etc.

What you can provide is a letter of invitation where you compromise to pay for their expenses while in the US, and ensure you will send them back on time. (This is not very relevant, as the most important thing is to proof they have good ties to Chile, and they won’t stay in the US).

Regarding to the trip, they can travel recommended with the airline. Be aware that many countries requires a letter from their parents authorizing them to leave the country (To prevent child abductions)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

AS said above the most important thing is to demonstrate ties with the country. Also good economical situation from the family (parents) is recommended (show bank statements, properties, etc). The last time I applied to a B2 (it changes every few years) you had to go to CHILEXPRESS and pay for the interview appointment (about 130 dlrs). Also you need to call certain number where they ask all your details and give you an interview date. They need to have passports, the receipt from chilexpress and Im not sure what else they would need from the parents, as they are traveling by themselves.

The Santiago Embassy/Consulate has an official facebook page where they answer all kinds of questions, look it up, they're very helpful. Also check the Chilean Embassy site for official/most up-to-date info.

Hope this helps!

PS An invitation letter is recommended in cases like this, but is no like you can "sponsor" anybody, they have to apply by themselves.

as1cHs-0g410510MDAwMTA1NHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwndmUgYmVlbiBtYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Thank you, problem is their family doesnt have that much money.. They have jobs and have a small house in the country but nothing compared to what we would have in the U.S.. The reason it is important for us is because their mother, was my husband's twin sister and she passed away. Their father raises them with their stepmother. I do know when my husband was my boyfriend a few years ago he applied for a tourist visa just for a visit, he was a Carabaniero in Santiago, and I wrote the invitation letter, etc and they still denied him - due to his age he was 28 and his lack of ties to Chile.. We were hoping because of their age, they are minors, there was some way that I can help them - I will send them the letter I'm sure that will help.. Otherwise I am just scared they will get denied just like he did..

Timeline

Thank you, problem is their family doesnt have that much money.. They have jobs and have a small house in the country but nothing compared to what we would have in the U.S.. The reason it is important for us is because their mother, was my husband's twin sister and she passed away. Their father raises them with their stepmother. I do know when my husband was my boyfriend a few years ago he applied for a tourist visa just for a visit, he was a Carabaniero in Santiago, and I wrote the invitation letter, etc and they still denied him - due to his age he was 28 and his lack of ties to Chile.. We were hoping because of their age, they are minors, there was some way that I can help them - I will send them the letter I'm sure that will help.. Otherwise I am just scared they will get denied just like he did..

The odds of them getting a visa are not that high.

When you think of all the cost of bringing them to the US, then if they do not get a visa it sounds like that money would go a long way for them in Chile.

Timeline

For what you say it might be difficult to get a visa. In that case its important that you state in the letter that you will be taking care of the trip, and that you send them your financial details, instead of the parents. If they're in school that might be a big bonus, that's a good tie to the country.

For the way you write Im thinking you want to bring them to the US and have them stay here? in that case maybe there are other better ways of doing it than a tourist visa...

Good luck with everything!

PS - In any case make sure you state in the letter its only for vacation and that you will make sure they are back in the country to attend school :)

Timeline

For what you say it might be difficult to get a visa. In that case its important that you state in the letter that you will be taking care of the trip, and that you send them your financial details, instead of the parents. If they're in school that might be a big bonus, that's a good tie to the country.

For the way you write Im thinking you want to bring them to the US and have them stay here? in that case maybe there are other better ways of doing it than a tourist visa...

Good luck with everything!

PS - In any case make sure you state in the letter its only for vacation and that you will make sure they are back in the country to attend school :)

Thanks for your response, we will try and see how lucky we get. We would love to have them stay on and I have even contacted schools here to see about their exchange programs, otherwise they will need to go back to Chile. They are in school in Chile, we just think this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to see America and as they are young and in school they have a better opportunity of getting a Visa then if they were over 18. We wouldn't have them stay on illegally under any circumstance.

Thanks again

Timeline

Thanks for your response, we will try and see how lucky we get. We would love to have them stay on and I have even contacted schools here to see about their exchange programs, otherwise they will need to go back to Chile. They are in school in Chile, we just think this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to see America and as they are young and in school they have a better opportunity of getting a Visa then if they were over 18. We wouldn't have them stay on illegally under any circumstance.

Thanks again

Well thats what i meant, its MUCH easier to get approved for a student visa than a tourist visa! if you want them to stay here, then you rather try the other options, and not the B2. Also you have to think that you CAN'T study on a tourist visa! you can't stay longer than 6 months either, both things are illegal. If you contact schools (probably an international one if they don't speak english) you can get a student visa and most probably they will be approved. Try that first. A B2 visa in their case would be very difficult.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.