KingAbu

F-1 Visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have a cousin who lives in Africa (Somalia) and currently is attending Cisco Network Academy (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/hmpgs/index.html). He already has his Certificate of Course Completion. He is still in that program and we wanted to know before I waste money and time, would it actually even be a possibility for one living in Somali (he can move to Kenya, as other family members live there as well) to get a F-1 visa and study here in the States? Can you please direct me to the appropriate agent, organization, or person to contact and help me with this process.

Thanks a bunch. Happy New Year everyone.

KING ABU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A certificate of course completion just means he attended the classes. Did he take any one the certification tests ? There are hundreds of thousands cisco certified IT job seekers in the US/ There are also many school that will take in foreign students who can afford to come to the US. What exactly does he hope to accomplish ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your cousin needs to apply and be accepted into an accredited program in the US. To do this he must show he can financially support himself while paying for tuition

Right now there is nothing you can do. He needs to apply himself

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

First, thanks for the replies. About the financial situation, cant he just stay with me during this study here in the States? I mean I can take care of his financial needs. Furthermore, he wants to work, if legally possible, part/full time job on campus or away from the collage/uni. Btw, how is someone who lives in Somalia meant to bring a bank statement? They don't even have one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Student visa holders are limited to part time on campus jobs if they are available. The student is supposed to show they can afford the costs of study. I suppose they do that so family members don't misuse student visas to avoid the long wait for a sibling visa.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First, thanks for the replies. About the financial situation, cant he just stay with me during this study here in the States? I mean I can take care of his financial needs. Furthermore, he wants to work, if legally possible, part/full time job on campus or away from the collage/uni. Btw, how is someone who lives in Somalia meant to bring a bank statement? They don't even have one.

Sounds like he is more interested in a work visa than a study visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes, he can live with you.

Just be prepared to show proof you make enough to support him financially (rent, food, transportation, etc...).

Also, it's important he provides financial proof he can afford at least one year of tuition and fees.

If he can't find a bank statement, he needs to find something else (not sure what exactly).

Otherwise the school will never give him an I-20, and without an I-20 he can't even apply for a student visa abroad!

As far as work, he can work on campus only.

20 hrs max per week.

Work outside the campus is not authorized, although many people do it at their own risk.

If he shows financial hardship, and provides enough evidence that his sponsor back home can't pay for his tuition and fees anymore, he might be able to get a permit to work outside his campus.

But he needs to show financial hardship! (not easy to show)

10/21/2010 (00): AOS package sent via express mail

10/22/2010 (01): AOS received by USCIS

10/28/2010 (07): NOA email notification for all the forms

11/05/2010 (15): Biometrics letter received for 11/30/2010

11/15/2010 (25): Early biometrics walk-in (successful)/Touched on all forms

12/30/2010 (70): AP approved

01/03/2011 (74): EAD and AP touched/EAD card production ordered

01/07/2011 (78): AP in the mail

01/10/2011 (81): Interview letter received for 02/09/2011

01/11/2011 (82): EAD in the mail

02/09/2011 (111): AOS Interview (Approved!!!)/Card production ordered (email)

02/18/2011 (120): GC in hand! (It's actually green lol)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought the hardship was when you fell on hard times, not that you can not afford it in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahabshiil

Money can be transferred, not sure if they also operate as a savings institution?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I thought the hardship was when you fell on hard times, not that you can not afford it in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahabshiil

Money can be transferred, not sure if they also operate as a savings institution?

I double boiler- seems more he is interested in working and living in US, rather then bening a student. Also I agree with his second point, where there is a issue about him having tuition for first year is in question - which means he hardship is just a fraud to work more hrs over the limited allowed number of hrs one can work while on F1.

Also there are tons of ppl who are CISCO certified available for any jobs in US.

He might want to look at China, which could be a another option for him.

Guys, maybe my post was a bit confusing, but I specifically mention that he is not able to pay anymore.

Which suggest he paid at least one year.

So we are on the same page on that.

Edited by Vuvu zela

Timeline

Guys, maybe my post was a bit confusing, but I specifically mention that he is not able to pay anymore.

Which suggest he paid at least one year.

So we are on the same page on that.

If you read OP's post he mentioned how can he provide the Bank statment from Somalia, its not even available, means he has no bank account.

OP was willing to pay for his room, board and school for his cousin, so OP who is working here in US will have to show hardhsip, which would be hard to prove, coz based on OP's ssn and taxes he filed in US will have to reflect the hardship.

Hope I am making sense.......lol

If you read OP's post he mentioned how can he provide the Bank statment from Somalia, its not even available, means he has no bank account.

OP was willing to pay for his room, board and school for his cousin, so OP who is working here in US will have to show hardhsip, which would be hard to prove, coz based on OP's ssn and taxes he filed in US will have to reflect the hardship.

Hope I am making sense.......lol

Makes perfect sense.

In this case, OP has to provide evidence he/she can support cousin and pay for tuition and fees for at least a year, and use that bank statement to apply for an I-20 and the desire school institution.

Edited by Vuvu zela

Timeline

Makes perfect sense.

In this case, OP has to provide evidence he/she can support cousin and pay for tuition and fees for at least a year, and use that bank statement to apply for an I-20 and the desire school institution.

Yep and end of 1st year OP will have to show he is facing economic hardship, which would be difficult since OP is in US all his info would be easily available to Feds.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.