jessandyura

Work Authorization

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All

At my POE the guy told me I have to go to USCIS(?) to get work authorization. I didn't really understand what he said but my fiance thought he did (we were traveling together) but in the end I am not sure if it is in fact USCIS. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to file AOS to get your EAD or green card. If you don't you cant work, you cant travel.

Read the AOS guides and file for AOS after you get married.

Edit to add, if you didn't know about having to file AOS you probably don;t know about filing for ROC either so you will want to go look at all that information as well .

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

The K1 does not give any authorization to work at all. The work authorization only comes after you file the I-765, either by itself (not suggested) or in conjunction with the I-485 (AOS). It is not automatic with anything other than a Greencard. The EAD is currently taking about 70-90 days to process. You are eligible to apply for an EAD upon arrival, before AOS, however this costs $340, is only valid for the length of your I-94 (90 days from arrival) and then you'd have to stop working until your new EAD was approved. If you apply in conjunction with your AOS, it's included in the price of the AOS, and is valid for one year, which SHOULD give you plenty of time before your AOS is approved.

If you file for a SPOUSE (CR-1) instead of a Fiance (K1) then the spouse would have Legal Permanent Resident status from their point of entry and be able to work right away. This takes a little longer than a K1, but is slightly cheaper in the long run, since you don't have to file a separate AOS after arrival/marriage.

Hope that helps.

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you very much Dodi! Sometimes it is hard to understand all the information that is in the posts, there is often conflicting info. For example, some people said that they got work auth at the POE. So thank you for answering me even if my question was answered somewhere else :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thank you very much Dodi! Sometimes it is hard to understand all the information that is in the posts, there is often conflicting info. For example, some people said that they got work auth at the POE. So thank you for answering me even if my question was answered somewhere else :)

Yeah this is a common problem. At JFK POE people entering there are STILL getting the "work authorization" stamp but it doesn't actually allow you to work.. contrary to it's name. The rules were changed a while back and a K1 is NOT work authorised without an EAD or a GC so the stamp while pretty, is useless. Unfortunately I think several people think the stamp allows them to work when it doesn't and they are in fact working illegally... and if caught will get into trouble. Telling officials "I have this stamp it says I can work" won't help them because ignorance is never an excuse. The fact that officals at JFK are giving out this stamp wrongly is a big issue.

There's a document called an I-9 (available on the USCIS website) that you have to fill out when you get a job to prove work eligibility, and you'll see that stamp isn't on the list. So now you know.. annoying but there you go :D

There's an AOS thread in my signature that has a list for docs for AOS that should help you.

Timeline

While this topic was correctly moved from K-1 forum, I think the main focus for the question is better served in the Working & Travelling During Immigration forum so have moved it here from the AOS forum.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yeah this is a common problem. At JFK POE people entering there are STILL getting the "work authorization" stamp but it doesn't actually allow you to work.. contrary to it's name. The rules were changed a while back and a K1 is NOT work authorised without an EAD or a GC so the stamp while pretty, is useless. Unfortunately I think several people think the stamp allows them to work when it doesn't and they are in fact working illegally... and if caught will get into trouble. Telling officials "I have this stamp it says I can work" won't help them because ignorance is never an excuse. The fact that officals at JFK are giving out this stamp wrongly is a big issue.

There's a document called an I-9 (available on the USCIS website) that you have to fill out when you get a job to prove work eligibility, and you'll see that stamp isn't on the list. So now you know.. annoying but there you go :D

There's an AOS thread in my signature that has a list for docs for AOS that should help you.

Just for clarification, the rules never changed. The stamp given at JFK and a few other rare points of entry NEVER authorized the K1 entrant to work. What changed was the I-9 form itself clarifying the law.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

A K-1 includes authorization to get a SS card. When you apply for that card (using the SS-5 form), you should mark that you are an alien authorized to work, but that's just for SSA purposes. As has been said above, you need an EAD or a GC in your hand to be authorized to actually work for an actual employer.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.