networkwarrior

Urgent Question about N-445. Oath Ceremony is Tomorrow.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been really busy on my studies and work, so I did not pay much attention on my N-445 form, that I got from the officer who interviewed me for my naturalization.

I am kind of in a state of panic right now. I should have checked this form a few days ago.

When I was preparing my stuff this morning for tomorrow's Oath Ceremony, I noticed that there are some questionnaires.

1. Do I have to answer this question now before the I go to the Oath Ceremony?

2. Do I have to sign and put the city/state of my current address, and date, now before I go to the Oath Ceremony?

3. These questionnaires are questions after the naturalization interview, right?

4. On the question number 7, it is asking me if I change my mind to bear arms?

On my N-400 form, I said yes. So I should say no here because I have no intent of changing my decisions.

Edited by networkwarrior

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have been really busy on my studies and work, so I did not pay much attention on my N-445 form, that I got from the officer who interviewed me for my naturalization.

I am kind of in a state of panic right now. I should have checked this form a few days ago.

When I was preparing my stuff this morning for tomorrow's Oath Ceremony, I noticed that there are some questionnaires.

1. Do I have to answer this question now before the I go to the Oath Ceremony?

2. Do I have to sign and put the city/state of my current address, and date, now before I go to the Oath Ceremony?

3. These questionnaires are questions after the naturalization interview, right?

4. On the question number 7, it is asking me if I change my mind to bear arms?

On my N-400 form, I said yes. So I should say no here because I have no intent of changing my decisions.

yes you have to check them all before the oath ceremony. if there is no change and you haven't traveled after your interview, then all of them should be no and sign it. It's very easy, don't sweat it. Just take your GC. you will hand over the GC and they will ask you to hand the form./

every oath ceremony is different, it depends on the city and state.

Timeline

yes you have to check them all before the oath ceremony. if there is no change and you haven't traveled after your interview, then all of them should be no and sign it. It's very easy, don't sweat it. Just take your GC. you will hand over the GC and they will ask you to hand the form./

every oath ceremony is different, it depends on the city and state.

Thanks for the quick reply

1. The Signed at(City, State), ,on(Date), (Full Signature) and (Full Address and Zip Code) fields right below the eight questionnaires, do I have to fill out these field now and put the date today? (my Oath Ceremony is tomorrow)

The part that confusing me are the part on page 1 says "This letter, WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS ON PAGE 2 ANSWERED. TYPE OR PRINT ANSWERS IN BLACK INK." and on page 2 says "You must answer these questions the day you are to appear for your citizenship oath ceremony."

What exactly they mean I have to bring any immigration documentation I may have? (This is part of the must bring list)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply

1. The Signed at(City, State), ,on(Date), (Full Signature) and (Full Address and Zip Code) fields right below the eight questionnaires, do I have to fill out these field now and put the date today? (my Oath Ceremony is tomorrow)

The part that confusing me are the part on page 1 says "This letter, WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS ON PAGE 2 ANSWERED. TYPE OR PRINT ANSWERS IN BLACK INK." and on page 2 says "You must answer these questions the day you are to appear for your citizenship oath ceremony."

What exactly they mean I have to bring any immigration documentation I may have? (This is part of the must bring list)

you can mark them and then sign and put the date of the oath ceremony. You can fill them out the day before, or early in the morning of your oath ceremony, bring them already done.

At my oath ceremony, which was on July 28th in Miami, they were asking if anybody brought their reentry permits or if they had any refugee travel documents.

also if any changes have been made, such as, if you traveled in between, you have to take your passport, showing your last entry to the country, or if you had a DUI or something like that. you have to have the paperwork that supports any change, if you answered yes any of the questions.

I had no changes, so I just had my letter and GC, before enterning the ceremony some officers stapeled my GC to the form. It's kinda surreal when they take your GC away, but at the end of the ceremony they will hand you the naturalization certificate.

Enjoy it. I cried when we sang "God Bless the USA" when it says "I'm proud to be an American.."

let us know how it went. What a great way to start the new year.

Timeline

you can mark them and then sign and put the date of the oath ceremony. You can fill them out the day before, or early in the morning of your oath ceremony, bring them already done.

At my oath ceremony, which was on July 28th in Miami, they were asking if anybody brought their reentry permits or if they had any refugee travel documents.

also if any changes have been made, such as, if you traveled in between, you have to take your passport, showing your last entry to the country, or if you had a DUI or something like that. you have to have the paperwork that supports any change, if you answered yes any of the questions.

I had no changes, so I just had my letter and GC, before enterning the ceremony some officers stapeled my GC to the form. It's kinda surreal when they take your GC away, but at the end of the ceremony they will hand you the naturalization certificate.

Enjoy it. I cried when we sang "God Bless the USA" when it says "I'm proud to be an American.."

let us know how it went. What a great way to start the new year.

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me.

My next post will be tomorrow, and the outcome.

Happy New Year to all :thumbs: .

Filed: Other Timeline

It's easy to fill in the stuff on page 2, takes about a minute, max.

I suggest you do it when arriving there, early. What if you get a traffic ticket on the way there? You'll have a minute before walking in. You're about to have climbed all the way to the peak of a very tall mountain; don't stress over it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Everything went well this morning; I thank you all for all the help I got.

I have one last question. About updating the SSN record, I can bring just the copy of my certificate with me, instead of the original, right? Or would they need to see the original certificate?

Happy New Year to all!

Filed: Other Timeline

You will need the original certificate or, in case you want to do this first, your passport.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Everything went well this morning; I thank you all for all the help I got.

I have one last question. About updating the SSN record, I can bring just the copy of my certificate with me, instead of the original, right? Or would they need to see the original certificate?

Happy New Year to all!

Go for your passport first. It will make your life so much easier. For everything you do official, you need your original certificate when not having a passport. I don't like taking this $400 piece of paper with me at all. I went for a passport first (took me 4 hours to get) and put the certificate in my safe, to never been taken out again, unless really, really necessary. A passport will prevent possible damage to the certificate, is way sturdier and much cheaper to replace. You also will be looked at as an American. This is not the case with your certificate. They still look at you as an immigrant with a legal paper.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Timeline

Go for your passport first. It will make your life so much easier. For everything you do official, you need your original certificate when not having a passport. I don't like taking this $400 piece of paper with me at all. I went for a passport first (took me 4 hours to get) and put the certificate in my safe, to never been taken out again, unless really, really necessary. A passport will prevent possible damage to the certificate, is way sturdier and much cheaper to replace. You also will be looked at as an American. This is not the case with your certificate. They still look at you as an immigrant with a legal paper.

I think that is a good idea.

How long does it take from sending the application for US passport to receiving it?

Timeline

I think that is a good idea.

How long does it take from sending the application for US passport to receiving it?

You have to go in person with your certificate to one of the passport agencies or the post office. I personally didn't like to leave my certificate and let them take care of it. When you want it expedited it will cost you an extra $60. You find all the necessary information here

At the passport agency you get your certificate back a couple of hours later. You need to prove that you have to travel within the next two weeks. I booked a ticket in the evening and used the 24 hour cancel policy. Didn't cost me anything.

Edited by CVB

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Timeline

You have to go in person with your certificate to one of the passport agencies or the post office. I personally didn't like to leave my certificate and let them take care of it. When you want it expedited it will cost you an extra $60. You find all the necessary information here

At the passport agency you get your certificate back a couple of hours later. You need to prove that you have to travel within the next two weeks. I booked a ticket in the evening and used the 24 hour cancel policy. Didn't cost me anything.

I live in Maryland and there is no passport agency here. However, there is one in Washington D.C..

The USPS, however, requires an appointment.

If I go to the next city there is this place, Rockville Circuit Court Clerk, and it doesn't say that I need to setup an appointment with them. It just say that "Hours of Passport Acceptance = Monday-Friday 9am-11am".

I wonder if I can get my certificate back within hours if I go there.

At the passport agency you get your certificate back a couple of hours later. You need to prove that you have to travel within the next two weeks.
So for me be able to expedite my passport, I have to give them some type of reason why I want it to expedite? Or just in passport agency?

Timeline

[quote name='networkwarrior' timestamp='1293578627' post='4374426'

So for me be able to expedite my passport, I have to give them some type of reason why I want it to expedite? Or just in passport agency?

As far as I know, when you want to deal with the passport offices directly, you have to make an appointment and have an airline ticket or something, showing your intention to travel within two weeks. You can ask on the form you fill out and give to the post office, to expedite your passport. From what I understand, that in general takes two weeks. I see no reason to do that though. It will cost you more money and the certificate will still be sent to you by regular mail. The reason I went directly to the passport office was exactly because I didn't like the idea of the certificate being in the regular mail and, to be honest with you, I also was sick and tired of the stress caused by this immigration journey. I wanted it over and done with. No more waiting.

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Probably a bit late, had wife fill out the back of the form with everything expect her signature and the date, she signed that in front of an officer. Normally a line and you don't want to hold it up.

Our army neighbor captain and I convinced her that she would indeed bear arms for this country. Before they would call her in, the enemy would be at our front door shooting at her kids. Would she just take a bullet or fire back? She would fire back, so don't be a hypocrite on this matter. Actually only about 10% of our military actually fires even at a foreign enemy, other 90% deals with support.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.