networkwarrior

Urgent Question about N-445. Oath Ceremony is Tomorrow.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

As far as I know, when you want to deal with the passport offices directly, you have to make an appointment and have an airline ticket or something, showing your intention to travel within two weeks.

I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Two questions:

1) How far in advance did you call in for your appointment at the passport agency?

2) Did you just book a regular (quite expensive) flight to London or some other destination or did you really set up a complete travel to Belgium? I'm asking because I want to make sure I get a flight that I can get cancel without problems.

Thanks.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Two questions:

1) How far in advance did you call in for your appointment at the passport agency?

2) Did you just book a regular (quite expensive) flight to London or some other destination or did you really set up a complete travel to Belgium? I'm asking because I want to make sure I get a flight that I can get cancel without problems.

Thanks.

The appointment you can make whenever. It's an automated system and you can chose the date. You get a conformation number that you have to take with you. It's important not to forget to take this # with you when you go because security and the passport officers ask for it. They don't ask your name when you make the appointment, so I guess when you don't show up, it really doesn't matter.

I made my appointment a couple of days before the interview. I had the oath ceremony the same day. When I came home after my oath ceremony, I booked my ticket in the evening to Belgium and went to the passport office the next day with a printed copy of my e-ticket. I booked with Continental because they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. When you cancel within 24 hours you get the full amount back of your booked ticket. No questions asked. I also think Delta Airlines has this kind of policy, and probably others. You have to check their website. Its wise to pay with credit card though. At the passport office they probably might ask you why you didn't book earlier. In my case it was easy. I told them that I didn't know whether I would be approved for citizenship till the day before, where I had my interview. Which was true. This was a smooth in between question from a cute friendly lady but I'm sure she asked me to check what I was trying to do. Have the right answer ready and be prepared for this kind of "innocent" questions. When I came home I canceled my airline ticket. A couple of days later, the whole amount was back on my credit card.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Thanks a lot. Will go the Continental route then.

A good reason is always that a close relative or family member is sick in Europe and it's crucial to be there as quickly as possible. Naturally, after learning of the illness just a couple of days before the Oath ceremony and thus canceling one's attendance at it place would be rather difficult, meaning one had to wait until after the Oath in order to get on the next plane to Europe.

Thanks for the warning though.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I might just sent my cert and wait for it to come back.

Anyways, what else do I need when I got to post office?

1. Filled out DS-11 form

2. Two 2x2 passport pictures

3. Certificate

4. Money for the fee

Am I missing something else?

How long does it take if I go to post office? Would it hours? Because I have to go to work.

Are they going to interview me for what reason?

Edited by networkwarrior

hey y'all, after reading the inputs in this thread, I am a bit confuse: do I have to make an appointment with my local post office (NOT passport agency) for passport application?

Thanks.

Naturalization adventure (5-year rule)

Local District office - Indianapolis, IN

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

No,

listen, all, you can just go to the post office and drop off a passport application. You can pay a bit extra for expedited service and you don't have to name a reason for this.

The conversation CVB and I had is for people who do not want to send in their certificate but instead want to go directly to a passport agency and get their passport within a few hours. For that you'll need a ticket, and an appointment.

• 7 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I have a question and hope this thread is still open. From what i understand i have to answer the questions at the back of the form before i go for check in on the day of the oath taking???? Its not necessarily that i need to answer those questions infront of an officer/receptionists???? Please help and will have my oath taking next week....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.