kkrxo

How long does it take for credit scores to go up???

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband's credit is about 1 years old... so it's still new. He doesn't have any derogatory information on his credit report, has 11 accounts open and has paid all of them on time. But he has 3 credit cards that he has almost maxed out and his credit score went from a 725 to a 565 in a matter of 2 months.... He has other credit cards that have a zero balance that he never uses but was told that if he closed them, that it could impact his credit score in a negative way so he just left the accounts open. When he gets his Christmas bonus from his job, he's going to pay all of the credit cards off and make them all a zero balance.

How long will it take for his credit score to go back up if all of his credit cards are paid off?? He paid one credit card off a few months ago and the representative told him that they report things to credit bureaus once a month but I wonder how long it takes for the score to go up... I hope it doesn't take that long since it went down so fast. In the beginning his credit score was a 595, and it increased to a 725 pretty fast but I just don't know about these circumstances. We are moving soon and we're relying on his credit to get approved for apartments since I have no credit what so ever! :unsure:

Day 1: 09/15/10 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, & I-102 via USPS

Day 2: 09/16/10 - Chicago Lockbox recieved package

Day 7: 09/22/10 - NOA1 for I-130, I-485, I-765

Day 12: 09/27/10 - I-130, I-485, I-765 TOUCHED

Day 14: 09/29/10 - NOA1 for I-102

Day 19: 10/04/10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 11/01/2010 in Naperville, IL

Day 35: 10/20/10 - I-102 application APPROVED

Day 38: 10/23/10 - Received I-102 approval letter and replacement I-94

Day 47: 11/01/10 - Biometrics done

Day 47: 11/01/10 - I-485 & I-765 TOUCHED

Day 50: 11/04/10 - Interview Notice for 12/16/10

Day 61: 11/15/10 - EAD Card Production Ordered (E-mail)

Day 64: 11/18/10 - EAD Card Production Ordered - 2nd order (E-mail)

Day 65: 11/19/10 - I-765 Notice of Approval Mailed (E-mail)

Day 68: 11/22/10 - Received EAD in the mail

Day 92: 12/16/10 - Interview APPROVED!!!

Day 92: 12/16/10 - Alien Registration Card Production Ordered (E-mail)

Day 96: 12/20/10 - Received "Welcome to the United States..." letter

Day 96: 12/20/10 - Received I-130 Approval letter

Day 98: 12/22/10 - Alien Registration Card Mailed (E-mail)

Day 103: 12/27/10 - Received Alien Registration Card!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

post violating TOS has been removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

My husband's credit is about 1 years old... so it's still new. He doesn't have any derogatory information on his credit report, has 11 accounts open and has paid all of them on time. But he has 3 credit cards that he has almost maxed out and his credit score went from a 725 to a 565 in a matter of 2 months.... He has other credit cards that have a zero balance that he never uses but was told that if he closed them, that it could impact his credit score in a negative way so he just left the accounts open. When he gets his Christmas bonus from his job, he's going to pay all of the credit cards off and make them all a zero balance.

How long will it take for his credit score to go back up if all of his credit cards are paid off?? He paid one credit card off a few months ago and the representative told him that they report things to credit bureaus once a month but I wonder how long it takes for the score to go up... I hope it doesn't take that long since it went down so fast. In the beginning his credit score was a 595, and it increased to a 725 pretty fast but I just don't know about these circumstances. We are moving soon and we're relying on his credit to get approved for apartments since I have no credit what so ever! :unsure:

I've written a long and extensive post with answers to all your questions, but it was removed. Please talk to the moderator to ask her why helping people on this forum is a violation of terms of services.

PS: I'm not a tax professional, financial adviser or a lawyer. Everything I write or suggest is based on my personal experience and knowledge, and I may be wrong. When in doubt, please make sure to consult with a professional!

Timeline

I've written a long and extensive post with answers to all your questions, but it was removed. Please talk to the moderator to ask her why helping people on this forum is a violation of terms of services.

The post was removed because of the following TOS violation:

No Solicitation. You shall not distribute on or through the Service or to any persons or entities identified via Visajourney.com any Content or material containing solicitations or advertising of any kind without the express prior written permission of Visajourney.com. Lawyers, law firms, immigration related businesses or their proxies are prohibited from soliciting employment from prospective clients through the Forums or any of its interactive features. In the discussion forums you may discuss or recommend third-party Web sites, goods or services, so long as you have no financial interest in and receive no direct or indirect benefit from such Web sites, products or services, or the recommendation of such.

As the member was financially gaining from the promotion of his website through his post, it was removed, and he was advised of the TOS violation.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I don't have an exact answer to your question but it seems that it's easier for the score to go down then it is to get it back up :( . Having different credit cards almost maxed out is a big red light - there seems to be a fine balance between available credit and how much of it you've used at any given time. Just a side note that 11 accounts (not sure if that implies cards or something else) does seem a little extreme for any one individual. As you mentioned since his credit is new - it may be to his advantage to close some of those cards and keep just a few...it isn't going to hurt him that much..in the long run it looks better not to have piles of available credit.

Good luck

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi OP,

I am not an expert but with what I learned in one year in the US and some common sense, I can advise you to do the following:

-Close a few- maybe 3- accounts. Doing it now when his credit is low should not impact the situation that much

-Try to keep a low balance on the cards. Ideally, a 35% debt and 65% credit is what you want to reach. So if you have a $1000 maximum, try not to spend more than $350. I have a secured credit card with only $300 max and for the past 6 months I have only used to pay my $29 gym membership. My score went up 10 points very quicky and now it is stable in the very low risk category.

-I suspect the number of accouts is a reason for his score to be low. Every time you request a card through a bank, the bank checks your score and that is considered a "hard enquiry". Those last a long time and affect your score negatively, so if he has requested a lot of credit cards, he certainly has a few hards enquiries that will stay on his record for at least 2 years.

-Maybe his job did a background check when he got hired. This is a soft enquiry and goes away within a month or 2, but it does make your score go down (silly, I know). When I was hired on my 2nd job they did that and I lost 3 points on my score!

-Finally, I would strongly recommend to request a statement from the 3 credit agencies. You are allowed to get one free report per year, and it would be important to see it and make sure there has been no identity theft. I think all the enquiries about your husband's credit should also be there.

One last thing...do youhave a credit history? You could get a "secured" credit card like I did, where the bank takes a certain amount of money from you for a year and that becomes your credit card limit. I chose $300, gave it to the bank last year and will be getting it back very soon since I have made all the payments in time. At that point I will have a "real" credit card and they will give me a higher limit. If you do that and really only use yoru card for very small expenses, your score will go up in a year or less!

I hope this helps!

Ciao

Viviana

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Assuming the credit score drop was caused by the 3 cards that were close to being maxed out, the score should return to normal within a month after paying them off (or at least back down below 10% usage.) The score is calculated based on the last reported balance/credit utilization percentage and that will be zero again within a month of paying them off. Don't close the other cards though. That part is true...

Good luck.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.