onyxrev

Formal call for immigration reform...

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So we are lame and idiot to think that someone can change the present status-quo.

Ummmm... ok. There's always the fact that 'someone' has always changed the status-quo and that such change is the precedent across the span of all human history.

Dan & Sheryl (Twin Cities, MN and Calgary, AB Canada)

Feb 29 2004 - Met on LiveJournal.com

July 25 2005 - Things start to get 'romantic'

Nov 11 2005 - Met in person

Dec 31 2005 - Engaged

March 6 2006 - I-129F sent

March 9 2006 - I-129F NOA1

June 10 Case Transfered to CSC - assured by USCIS that NOA1 date would be honored

July 3 2006 - IMBRA RFE in the mail

July 5 2006 - RFE sent with extra evidence (plane tickets, receipts, letters, emails, photos)

July 10 2006 - RFE received

Aug 8 2006 - Congressional inquiry - told 129F cases are processed based on IMBRA RFE

Sept 20 2006 - Called DHS - Was told another RFE was sent three weeks ago

Sept 21 2006 - Local USCIS office claims RFE is a request for 'initial' evidence - RFE must be lost or was never actually sent.

Sept 22 2006 - Congressional inquiry #2- told "We are working on your case, please allow 60 days" ARGGHH

Sept 26 2006 - 6 touches from all my investigating

Oct 16 2006 - Finally received the RFE that's been holding up our case. It's the IMBRA RFE that we already sent in and was verified received!

Oct 17 2006 - Senator Mark Dayton's office finally gets USCIS to pull out petition for special processing.

Oct 24 2006 - FINALLY APPROVED!

Jan 18 2007 - Interview in Vancouver / K-1 received

Jan 23 2007 - Sheryl enters the US with me

Feb 17 2007 - Wedding!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Vartan, it is very nice to defend USCIS when you got approved in two months. The perception, of course, changes for those of us waiting for 5 months for approvals.

What makes me mad me is not the amount of time, is NOT KNOWING nor being able to know what is going on. It also makes me mad that nobody at USICS cared to review the laws that they are supposed to enforce to include a simple requirement on a form in a timely manner. This to me is unnaceptable. For example, if the government changes a tax law, I as a citizen am expected to comply with it as soon as it comes into effect. Why couldn't they comply with IMBRA on time? if you look at the new form they added 3 more questions, seriously how hard is it to do that in a timely manner? to me that is just plain incompetence and lack of professionalism. In my book, the person responsible for this mess should be fired.

Folks, the bolded is the crux of the problem. We have become accustomed to instant information via our good friend, the internet.

That's great, but it's not reality.

USCIS doesn't review laws, the Congress makes laws. They then tell the agencies: comply with this law--they don't tell them the how-to.

I found this comment today quite interesting:

I recommend a little attitude change here. What you call "silly" is an ACT OF CONGRESS which signed by the President on Janary 6th of THIS YEAR. It made some major changes in the K visa processing procedure and then set an impossibly short 90-day implementation period.

It is the nature of the beast that there are bumps in implementation of major new legislation and given the nature of the changes, I'm actually impressed on how well CIS is implementing the changes -- not that its perfect, but it is new.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392967

This from someone with 30+ years experience in dealing with the Service.

It would be great if 'they' could instantly update their processes to provide the instant information you want, but seriously, look up what's happened with the FBI and their software upgrades--it just doesn't happen (and I'd rather have the FBI updated than the CIS).

The fact is, once your petition is sent in, it spends the vast majority of your wait time sitting on a shelf in a bin with a buch of other cases---there is nothing to report. I think vartan gave great answers!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

As a state-level gov. worker who deals with litigants on a daily basis, I can tell you -- without going into great detail -- that things are not as easy as a lot of very frustrated, tired, and lonely VJers believe.

As already stated, the legislative branch makes up laws, the executive signs it and makes it law, and then we poor saps have to change what we're doing to follow up. And when you're dealing with the volume of people that the government does, it gets overwhelming.

More over, what goes on behind the scenes is usually a lot more involved than anyone realizes, with a lot of processes and rules that have to be followed and adjudicated by mere mortals who are capable of making mistakes, who get tired, who are human. There are training issues -- sure, raise the prices, higher 100s of new workers to deal with IMBRA implimentation, but who's going to train them all? Trial By Fire is how mistakes get made in the first place -- and how I imagine a lot of what's happening now was caused initially.

Example: my first week on the job, I processed a default petition that wasn't technically correct -- it involved service of a defendant that lived overseas, and because of international treates and accords that I knew nothing about, this person, who's incorrect filing was caught in June, still hasn't had his case brought before a judge, while someone who filed a default in June probably was heard in August because there's a) was less complecated and B) wasn't messed up and pulled right before it was scheduled for a hearing by the head of the division because of a mistake a wet-behind-the-ears grunt made two months prior.

Sucks for them, of course, and we wrote a letter ASAP explaining the situation, proper filing requirements, to the best of our ability, with a short apology.

Now, this person probably hates my guts. He doesn't know it was my first week, that I was thrown into a job I didn't understand because we were backlogged from a massive amount of the same kind of petitions and the people upstairs were yelling at us to get the job done! He just knows that other people are getting in and out of court faster than him, and trust me, he complains. Vocally and daily. He doesn't want to hear that I wasn't trained, that a simple mistake and letting a paper go without sending out the state-equivilant of an RFE means he can't go to court, that by being lenient I've cost him more time. He doesn't want to hear that my boss did the right thing by pulling the case off the docket because, had it gone to a judge, it'd have been thrown out of court and he'd have to pay another filing fee (a few hundred dollars) and start all over again at square one. He doesn't care because this is his life.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for any government to be on a name-to-face, face-to-case basis with every person it interacts with. It's just impossible, and so we are assigned numbers and case workers/government drones who, I assure you, are not incompetent jerks who sit around with their coffee on your papers day dreaming about screwing you over while playing solitare (okay, maybe IT is...j/k).

Somedays our computers go down. Somedays there are bomb threats and security alerts because of jerks who don't like a judge's decision and threaten the building/workers, so we're all sent home while they do thorough checks and body searches. Some days, the workers are sent home because jerks in the legislature don't understand that fiscal solvency and a 1% tax increase is much more important than lowering taxes for the rich during an election year, and we don't get to work for a week. And then what happens? We wait, and you wait. And you wait.

We all wish we had a perfect system. We all wish we could go into work, do our jobs, and make litigants (or "customers" as they're beginning to be called) happy. Hell, in this state, the workers being hired are required to have customer service backgrounds and go to a week of training where we learn pro-customer lessons like "Give them the pickle" -- a long story, but if you've had this seminar, you know what I'm talking about -- and about accountability.

Because, you see, at the end of the day, government workers *Are* accountable, believe it or not. If I fail, I'm reported to my boss. If she lets me fail, she's reported to her boss, etc. Where I work, we have divisions and the leaders of those divisions are held responsible to the head of the court, who's reponsible to a judge, who's reponsible to the AOC who's reponsible to the supreme court of the state, etc. There are ethics committees and customer service departments you can go to, people you can complain to.

For example, if your case isn't moving, ask to speak to a supervisor. If you get no response there, go over their head. Keep going up the ladder. Senators and congressmen are your friends in these cases.

The thing is, you are not helpless, you can complain -- but only if you have a legitimate complaint, and usually "I want it NOW!" Veruca Salt-style won't help very much, because guess what, EVERYONE wants it NOW! The internet, along with the microwave and other nice gadgets, have led people to believe that almost anything can be gained instantaneously, and IRL, this just isn't so.

Sometimes, things don't make sense, especially long delays when you are frustrated and angry, but trust me, at least where I work there is an internal logic to procedures that makes little sense from the outside, but once you understand everything that goes into it, it starts to make sense. I know, I once filed a default petition in the very court I now work for. It took ages to go through, and I get RFEs, and I hated every minute of it. It MADE NO SENSE! But now I work there, I understand exactly why things happen -- trust me, there's reason, the inmates are not running the asylum (well, other than in Washington DC ;) ), and we are actually putting effort in to genuinely try!

And now I will be banned from the K1 community forever, for pissing people off, and that's fine. I just wanted to speak out for the workers who are trying hard to get things done, who don't want to screw up.

I'm not saying that screw ups don't happen. I'm not saying it's not frustrating as hell. I'm just saying that it does happen, it's not because we don't like you or are stupid/lazy/mean. We're only as good as the money we're paid (f(_)ck all) the training we're given (even less), and the support we have from customers, which is even less than that.

Sure, there are ridiculous delays, things get lost, there are things that don't make sense, but trust me, it's not just you.

After all, as the judge I clerk for always quotes, "I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Timeline of David's Petition to Remove Conditions:

08-01-2009 I-751 Mailed to VSC

09-01-2009 I-751 received at VSC

12-01-2009 Notice of Action/Receipt received

22-01-2009 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

06-02-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Newark, NJ

05-06-2009 Received notice that removal of conditions has been approved!

David's K1 Timeline Available here

David's AOS Timeline Available here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So we are lame and idiot to think that someone can change the present status-quo.

Ummmm... ok. There's always the fact that 'someone' has always changed the status-quo and that such change is the precedent across the span of all human history.

Well I never doubted the good intentions behind the proposed reforms. All I am saying is that the reformists are the poor people. We are not in a position to change a single law. Its funny other day I posted a topic about immigration fee structure. No one replied to it probably no one knows about it. Why are we paying them? What is the rule and standards are considered before setting the fees structure.

We are trying to bring foreign nationals to USA which means extra jobs, burdons etc etc. Dont you think it makes govt to make policies which can help to stop or atleast hurdule the flow of immigrants.

If you people remmember or not. Just few months back one whole fukn law was changed for only one girl. The law was passed just in a week and signed by the presidant.

Do you know about that law? OK its your quiz.

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Timeline
Unfortunately, it is impossible for any government to be on a name-to-face, face-to-case basis with every person it interacts with. It's just impossible, and so we are assigned numbers and case workers/government drones who, I assure you, are not incompetent jerks who sit around with their coffee on your papers day dreaming about screwing you over while playing solitare (okay, maybe IT is...j/k).

This is *so* powerful coming from the front lines. I know it's fun to make fun of the workers who are between us and our goal, but really, they are people, and most of them want to do well in their jobs as you demonstrate.

We all wish we had a perfect system. We all wish we could go into work, do our jobs, and make litigants (or "customers" as they're beginning to be called) happy. Hell, in this state, the workers being hired are required to have customer service backgrounds and go to a week of training where we learn pro-customer lessons like "Give them the pickle" -- a long story, but if you've had this seminar, you know what I'm talking about -- and about accountability.

Oops, there you go, demonstrating it again! :)

Would you believe I'm friends with Mr Pickle? heheh.. he really is like that, btw, and his stores always run that way too.

For example, if your case isn't moving, ask to speak to a supervisor. If you get no response there, go over their head. Keep going up the ladder. Senators and congressmen are your friends in these cases.

OK now, here's something. There is a protocol in place for this. It does zip all good to contact them because YOU feel your case 'isn't moving'. What 'moving' is is not always perceptable from the outside.

If your case is 30 days past the posted processing date, it is "overdue" and you can do something.

Calling, writing or officially contacting anyone before that date is a 100% waste of resources (and leads to more frustration and name calling).

The thing is, you are not helpless, you can complain -- but only if you have a legitimate complaint, and usually "I want it NOW!" Veruca Salt-style won't help very much, because guess what, EVERYONE wants it NOW! The internet, along with the microwave and other nice gadgets, have led people to believe that almost anything can be gained instantaneously, and IRL, this just isn't so.

Oops, you're ahead of me again! See above.

Sometimes, things don't make sense, especially long delays when you are frustrated and angry, but trust me, at least where I work there is an internal logic to procedures that makes little sense from the outside, but once you understand everything that goes into it, it starts to make sense.
And now I will be banned from the K1 community forever, for pissing people off, and that's fine. I just wanted to speak out for the workers who are trying hard to get things done, who don't want to screw up.

No way, Jose. I think your post is a valuable contribution. JerseyGirl is another like-minded soul who is choosing how she responds to the not knowing (which I really believe is the biggest problem people have with the process).

I'm not saying that screw ups don't happen. I'm not saying it's not frustrating as hell. I'm just saying that it does happen, it's not because we don't like you or are stupid/lazy/mean. We're only as good as the money we're paid (f(_)ck all) the training we're given (even less), and the support we have from customers, which is even less than that.

Sure, there are ridiculous delays, things get lost, there are things that don't make sense, but trust me, it's not just you.

After all, as the judge I clerk for always quotes, "I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Thank you for this well thought out and written post--I certainly appreciated your time!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think clear, regular reporting would be a good start. For instance, for applications received in each 2 week period (or each month), indicate their status - How many waiting for RFEs to be returned, how many approved, reasons for delay, causes for cases going beyond 90 days.

Airlines started paying a LOT more attention to things like ontime performance and lost bags once they had to report it publicly to the government every month. Perhaps CSC would feel more heat if they had to justify their poor performance to Congress regularly.

Tom

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

Filed: Other Timeline

Well said redtapeknot. I hate the wait personally but I can empathize 100% with what you said.

I would vote NOT to ban you from this community. :)

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

This recent USCIS memo just came to my attention; it explains the new format for posted processing dates.

I'm afraid it will be LESS detail than some of you are asking for. It appears to be actually less than what they are providing now.

http://tinyurl.com/rxh5q

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
This recent USCIS memo just came to my attention; it explains the new format for posted processing dates.

I'm afraid it will be LESS detail than some of you are asking for. It appears to be actually less than what they are providing now.

Old news, I'm sorry to say. I read that letter several days ago. It is complete CYA-speak (i.e. it says something in order to say nothing). It's only purpose was to cut down on the number of inquiries and phone calls USCIS--in particularly the CSC--has been getting and thereby shut as many of us up as possible for as long as possible. What a surprise.

January 2004: Met Laurent at the Bibliothèque nationale in Paris

February 2004: We became an actual couple

January 29th, 2006: I left France to return to the United States--AWFUL to say goodbye!

June 2006: Finally convinced Laurent that a K-1 visa would be more time-effective than trying to get an H-1

August 1st, 2006: The K-1 petition is finally in the mail and on its way to Nebraska...WooHoooo!! And yes, I remembered to attach the check! :-)

August 3rd, 2006: USPS online tracking shows that my petition (sent certified) was received at the NSC at 5:05am

August 14th, 2006: NOA1 received USPS!! (I-129F recv'd at CSC: 8/4; NOA date: 8/10; last touched: 8/11)

October 2nd, 2006: I MISTAKENLY thought we had an approval...False alarm...Back to waiting...

October 3rd, 2006: TOUCHED!!

October 4th, 2006: REALLY AND TRULY APPROVED!!! Email notification lists 10/3 as the NOA2 date.

Later that same day: TOUCHED...AGAIN! Hope that means I'm in a cozy box and moving to NVC this week...

October 10th, 2006: Received official NOA2 via snail mail.

October 19th, 2006: Case received at NVC!! AWESOME!!

October 20th, 2006: Case forwarded to Paris!! DHL says two shipments were headed that way. Must be in there somewhere...

October 27th, 2006: Received official receipt letter from NVC via USPS.

Timeline

Old news, I'm sorry to say. I read that letter several days ago. It is complete CYA-speak (i.e. it says something in order to say nothing). It's only purpose was to cut down on the number of inquiries and phone calls USCIS--in particularly the CSC--has been getting and thereby shut as many of us up as possible for as long as possible. What a surprise.

Say, I've meant to ask you---did anyone tell you about DCF? It looks on the face of it like it would be an option for you.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Say, I've meant to ask you---did anyone tell you about DCF? It looks on the face of it like it would be an option for you.

Department of Children and Families? Can you clarify?

January 2004: Met Laurent at the Bibliothèque nationale in Paris

February 2004: We became an actual couple

January 29th, 2006: I left France to return to the United States--AWFUL to say goodbye!

June 2006: Finally convinced Laurent that a K-1 visa would be more time-effective than trying to get an H-1

August 1st, 2006: The K-1 petition is finally in the mail and on its way to Nebraska...WooHoooo!! And yes, I remembered to attach the check! :-)

August 3rd, 2006: USPS online tracking shows that my petition (sent certified) was received at the NSC at 5:05am

August 14th, 2006: NOA1 received USPS!! (I-129F recv'd at CSC: 8/4; NOA date: 8/10; last touched: 8/11)

October 2nd, 2006: I MISTAKENLY thought we had an approval...False alarm...Back to waiting...

October 3rd, 2006: TOUCHED!!

October 4th, 2006: REALLY AND TRULY APPROVED!!! Email notification lists 10/3 as the NOA2 date.

Later that same day: TOUCHED...AGAIN! Hope that means I'm in a cozy box and moving to NVC this week...

October 10th, 2006: Received official NOA2 via snail mail.

October 19th, 2006: Case received at NVC!! AWESOME!!

October 20th, 2006: Case forwarded to Paris!! DHL says two shipments were headed that way. Must be in there somewhere...

October 27th, 2006: Received official receipt letter from NVC via USPS.

Filed: Other Timeline

Well it's news to me. Thanks meauxna for posting. Now at least there's official word why CSC went back from March 6th to Feb 23rd. I don't like it, but at least the explanation comes straight from the horse's mouth and not just random guessing from everyone else giving their 2 cents worth.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Direct Consular Filing

Usually faster and easier than anything else . . .

Timeline

DCF = Direct Consular Filing.

In a nutshell, you go to France, get married, file petition I-130, new spouse applies for Immigrant Visa, return to US within 30 or so days and immigrant visa becomes permanent resident status at entry (aka a 'green card').

It's not available to non-resident USCs (normally they must live overseas to qualify) but in the few places that it *is* available, it's sort of, well, wonderful. My husband went petition-->visa in 33 days (Athens2002).

You can read the Guide for a better (well, longer) explanation: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

France *is* one of the countries, and there are a few couples posting their story in the DCF Forum currently.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Direct Consular Filing

Usually faster and easier than anything else . . .

I think we would all use that approach, if practical and moreover possible. I tried and failed miserably.

Came up short on evidence of the Ceremony. Would have saved many months of this BS.

On the bright side, I would not have met you guys!! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.