DanielDK

Can't find certificate of citizenship

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying to file a K1 visa application (form i-129). One of the requirements to submit a copy of a certificate of citizenship (if naturalized citizen) or a birth certificate (if born in US). I'm a naturalized Citizen and I can not find my certificate of citizenship. To replace a certificate of citizenship, USICIS is charging $340. Is a valid unexpired US passport be good enough instead of certificate of citizenship? Will USCIS reject my application for lack of evidence by just submiting my US passport?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm trying to file a K1 visa application (form i-129). One of the requirements to submit a copy of a certificate of citizenship (if naturalized citizen) or a birth certificate (if born in US). I'm a naturalized Citizen and I can not find my certificate of citizenship. To replace a certificate of citizenship, USICIS is charging $340. Is a valid unexpired US passport be good enough instead of certificate of citizenship? Will USCIS reject my application for lack of evidence by just submiting my US passport?

Your question indicates you failed to carefully study the I-129F instructions, which clearly state you can provide a photocopy of every page of your valid US Passport as evidence of citizenship. Careful study of the instructions is critical to your ultimate success.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Yes, in the I-129F instructions #3, Item D it states 'In place of any of the above, you may give USCIS a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least five years. You must submit copies of all pages in the passport'. One of the items 'above' is the document your missing, so you should be ok with the passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i agreee ALL PAGES of your US passport is ok

AOS

07/08/2011 - Mailed AOS via usps

07/12/2011 - NOA1 for EAD & I-845 via email

07/13/2011 - Personal Check Cashed

07/12/2011 - NOA1 notice date(email)

07/18/2011 - NOA1 for EAD & I-485 hardcopy & Biometrics received in the mail

08/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment--DONE!

08/19/2011 - Interview Letter/Notice sent

08/31/2011 - EAD card/document production ordered

09/06/2011 - EAD case touched

09/12/2011 - EAD received!

09/21/2011 - AOS Interview-APROVED ON THE SPOT/email notice: GC productionn ordered, approval notice sent

09/26/2011 - AOS Approval Notice/Welcome Notice received!

09/30/2011 - Got my GC in the mail today!

K1 JOURNEY

07/09/2010 - I-129F mailed via USPS

07/12/2010 - CSC received

07/17/2010 - NOA1 notice date

07/19/2010 - Cheque cashed

07/21/2010 - NOA1 hardcopy received =D

12/06/2010 - NOA2 Hardcopy received =D =D =D

12/10/2010 - NVC received / Got MNL number yay!

12/13/2010 - NVC left / Consulate received Electronic File the same day

12/29-30/2010 - Medical @ SLMEC PASSED!!!

01/07/2011 - Interview Jan. 7 @ 6:45am -VISA APPROVED!!!READ MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

01/15/2011 - VISA on hand

01/17/2011 - CFO DONE

01/20/2011 - POE-SFO

0FYVm7.png

I asked a immigration attorney if a US passport is enough to prove my citizenship. He's telling me that it's better to get another copy of the certificate of citizenship and send it along with the US passport. To replace the certificate, it's quite pricey. Has anyone submitted just the US passport alone (without a certificate of citizenship or without birth certificate and just the US passport alone)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You should be able to start the petition using the passport pages , but you should order a copy of your citizenship certificate because you may need it later.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I asked a immigration attorney if a US passport is enough to prove my citizenship. He's telling me that it's better to get another copy of the certificate of citizenship and send it along with the US passport. To replace the certificate, it's quite pricey. Has anyone submitted just the US passport alone (without a certificate of citizenship or without birth certificate and just the US passport alone)?

Yes, lots of people have. No worries. USCIS granted your citizenship. They can verify it easily enough.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I submitted my petition in July. Like you, I have no idea where my Naturalization Certificate is. I submitted copies of all pages of my unexpired passport as instructed and we were approved in November.

One thing that I did, though, was to make an InfoPass appointment and ask for the information to request a replacement certificate. They gave me the Certificate Number as well as my old A#. I submitted both with my petition. It's probably overkill, but them having the information I believe enabled them to put my existing file with the new petition and they only needed to update it as opposed to doing whatever it is that they do for background check from scratch.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Timeline

i'll trust pushbrk's word and apply with just the US passport (crossing fingers). Perhaps I should do what Rober de Bonda did and retrieve my old A# and certificate # or is it futile?

Not futile, just not necessary, IMO. Unknown will be perfectly fine when asked those questions.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

i'll trust pushbrk's word and apply with just the US passport (crossing fingers). Perhaps I should do what Rober de Bonda did and retrieve my old A# and certificate # or is it futile?

As Pushbrk said, it's not necessary. My fear has always been trying to replace a lost passport without a Naturalization Certificate. It's pretty hard to do. Hard but not impossible. But who needs to do things the hard way. I have the forms to replace my Naturalization Certificate and will do so after I complete the visa journey.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.