Yellowhead

Dependecy on your spouse...

40 posts in this topic

I am quite an independent person who has had various parental issues throughout my life. This has made me very reluctant to become dependent on anyone again. For the first time in a very long time, the immigration process is going to require that I once again put all of my eggs in one basket and become totally and utterly reliant on someone else but myself.

Right now, I am just visiting the USA to see my fiance and his family (his parents, extended family, as we are a young couple with no kids of our own). I am without a vehicle during the most hectic time of the year, and I feel very uncomfortable traveling on public transit in his city, as it is very large and known for random acts of crime. I come from a small city (200,000 people) with very low crime rates, and feel quite secure walking alone and being out at night alone. In my fiance's city, I dread the idea of even walking to the pharmacy 2 blocks away. When I move here on the K-1, I cannot get my license or work for 3-6 months (Adj of status waiting period), and I am really questioning how I am going to rely solely on one person to drive me around, support me financially, and help me keep my sanity in a place where I know nobody.

I am basically looking for advice about how people have gotten through this tough part of immigration. I trust my fiance completely, but like any couple, we have our ups and downs and I fear this act of placing my well-being in the hands of someone else.

How have other Vj'ers who have marriage based visa's or GC's getting around these obstacles? How can you create a foundation for yourself in a place foreign to you, and how can you create a support network that involves people other than your spouse or fiance? I am afraid this is going to put a major strain on our relationship, as he too is very independent.

Help!

(Side note: Please refrain from telling me how every perfect couple should trust enough to become dependent on their significant other, or that we are not made to be because I am fearing this... that is not always the case)

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Um why cant you get your DL when you get there? I got mine like 2 weeks after I arrived also got my ssn as well 2 weeks after I arrived.

Canada has a deal with the US.. all you need to do is go in an exchange your canadian one.. Sometimes depending on the state you need to take a computer question test and thats it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Um why cant you get your DL when you get there? I got mine like 2 weeks after I arrived also got my ssn as well 2 weeks after I arrived.

Canada has a deal with the US.. all you need to do is go in an exchange your canadian one.. Sometimes depending on the state you need to take a computer question test and thats it.

In California you are usually unable to get a DL until you have a SSN. This varies depending on the DMV you go to, but most won't give it to you. I was unaware that the SSN comes that quickly. Is that usually the case? In California you cannot exchange your drivers license. You have to retake the test from the beginning, including the written test and road test. (this is what I gathered from speaking to other Canadians in Cali)

Does anyone with experience with California know about the DL requirements and the timeframe out here for getting a DL? This would absolutely make me feel better if I can get it sooner!

Edited by hithalynn

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

In California you are usually unable to get a DL until you have a SSN. This varies depending on the DMV you go to, but most won't give it to you. I was unaware that the SSN comes that quickly. Is that usually the case? In California you cannot exchange your drivers license. You have to retake the test from the beginning, including the written test and road test. (this is what I gathered from speaking to other Canadians in Cali)

Does anyone with experience with California know about the DL requirements and the timeframe out here for getting a DL? This would absolutely make me feel better if I can get it sooner!

I have a close friend whose husband got a credit card and DL in California pretty quickly. He kept the social security card in the paper it came in as a backup. It is a form of ID for most banks and I believe the DMV.

BTW, I was always jealous of my husband for his forced vacation time. I always wished I had that kind of time to volunteer and practice my hobbies.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

My husband's experience getting a California licence...

Yes, you need your SSN first. That took two months, although the length of time was due to a USCIS snafu, so don't panic.

I'm assuming you have a Canadian license. You'll need to pass the written test first, then the driving test. Any California DMV will have a study guide with test questions for passing the written test.

He passed the written test which entitles you to a provisional licence (must have a licenced driver in the car with you), then spent a week learning how to drive on our side of the road. Took the driving test, passed, driver's licence issued on the spot.

California DMV website: http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl.htm

Timeline

K-1 you go in yourself to get your SSN, it doesnt just arrive, wait 2 weeks and then go apply for it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Being completely dependent on someone else is hard, no doubt. You will have some days where it drives you absolutely insane, and other days you will relish the opportunity to just stay home and relax- take the time to read a good book, or watch your favorite TV show. There are ups and downs.

I found it to be a good opportunity to spend some time quality with my husband. Since you don't have the independence to go out and do your own things, you will find things to do together that make the both of you happy and create common hobbies. My husband and I dated long distance for 4 years before we got married, but being together constantly when he wasn't at work created a different kind of growing experience for us that strengthened our relationship. It's definitely not all negative. And you will find that those few months of waiting in limbo will go by in a flash! Looking back at it now, it was hardly a blink.

Filed: Other Country: Scotland
Timeline

@ hithalynn

I am in a similar situation. Im a very independent person, have been living overseas in Asia for years, living in my own apartment and having money to spend on whatever i wanted. Now Im going through the AOS, so far we're only at the beginning but already I've been feeling the pressure and taking it out on my poor hubby :help: .

Its hard to rely on someone else when you're used to taking care of yourself. Even simple things like going to the supermarket, having my card (from my bank back home) declined (the whole chip and pin thing doesn't seem to have caught on in the US) and being mortified in front of all the other shoppers makes daily life seem hard at times. But it doesn't take long to settle in as long as you make a conscious effort.

The main thing for me is that Im a very social person and while I don't have a big family back home, my family is VERY close. My hubby is not close to his family at all and has also been living abroad so doesn't have friends here, so its hard when you don't have a social network. But its so easy to make friends nowadays if you're willing to overcome your pride a little, post an ad on Craigslist or respond to someone elses ad, theres also Meetup.com where you can get involved in different groups.

I was very skeptical about doing it at first but in the end loneliness got the better of me, and so far I've met genuinely nice girls who I think will become lasting friends. Even if you don't like any of the people you meet, at least it gets you outta the house and doing something.

I think the main thing is to try not to think of it as depending on someone. Make sure you have your own thing going on, hobbies, exploring or whatever. As far as I know, you can drive in California on your Canadian licence until you've been resident here for 1 year, then you have to get a Cali licence (at least thats what I read on the DMV website).

Anyway thats just my experience so far :thumbs:

11-09: Met in Vietnam, backpacked then lived together in Oz

09-26-10: Came to the US

11-19-10: Got married

12-10-10 (Day 0): Posted package (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

12-12-10 (Day 2): Package received

12-17-10 (Day 7): Received text and email confirmation, and checks cashed

12-20-10 (Day 10: NOA1 hard copy received

02-28-11 (Day 80): Biometrics letter received FINALLY!

03-01-11 (Day 81): Successful biometrics walk-in

03-02-11 (Day 82): Card production ordered!

03-12-11 (Day 92): EAD card received

03-16-11 (Day 96): Notification of interview scheduled for April 15!!!!!

04-15-11 (Day 126): Interview-Greencard approved!!!!!

ROC

02-27-13: I-751 sent

03-03-13: NOA1

I tried to get my driving license in Los Angeles last year but I let it drop. Unlike you I couldn't drive already in my own country and I had 60 days after passing the theory to learn and pass the practical. It's just too busy here for me to have the confidence to move the car and not freak out. I need a big open space to practice and hubby and I havent found it yet. From memory you need Photo ID in the correct name you wish the license to be in, ssn in that same name(first attempt they couldn't process my learners permit cos it was under my maiden name still) , plus proof of .......not sure residency is the right word for it, but ead will work. There must be at least 60? days (my memory is bad i think it was 60) left of validity on your proof I think it was too so it you go with your k1 and there's less than 60 days left on it when you pass your test they won't give you the license till you come in with a renewed proof on residency. License will only be valid for the same amount of time as the proof you use too so if you use ead the license will void the same day as ead.

My FILs wife is quite a dependant person and she used tO take the bus a lot to places. I haven't yet as it confussed the he'll outa me. It's not like the London tube :( I rely on hubby and MIL To take me places

but hoping next year i'll have the guts to try again for my licence. As far as not being safe to walk. In LA some are safer than others. I would walk to albersons on my own from FILs place easily and if I wasn't so lazy I would prob walk to cvs from our place and not feel too freaked out. But our areas are not that bad and area

Edited by Hannah+Vito

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

I freaked out at times. Coming from living with friends for 3 years to living with my husband and his parents was a HUGE change. Not being able to leave the house without someone to take me, the differences in groceries, shops, etc was all frustrating at times too. I found that if I was in a bad mood one day (with being stuck in the house) it was a domino affect; I'd complain about being lonely, so he'd take me out, and I'm moan about the drivers, about the food differences, about the weather, etc. But when I finally got my DL and a job, it all melted away. You just need to be patient and remind yourself that you'll be independent again soon.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe i missed something...but why can't you drive in Cali with ur Canadian license? I have cousins who visit all the time here in VA/NC and they drive their vehicles and mine all the time! Just apply for ur CALI DL and keep driving on ur Canadian DL till you get ur CA DL! B-)

AOS Journey

09/08/2011 ~ NOA1 for AOS,EAD & AP

09/09/2011 ~ Text & email notification

09/10/2011 ~ Updated!

09/19/2011 ~ ASC Appointment Notice date for 10/17/2011 Biometrics Appointment

09/30/2011 ~ Email notification - AOS was transferred to another office

10/06/2011 ~ Received hardcopy of AOS CSC Transfer Notice.. 9:45 pm Updated!

10/07/2011 ~ Biometrics walk in SUCCESSFUL!!!

11/02/2011 ~ EAD Card/Document Production

11/07/2011 ~ EAD updated

11/08/2011 ~ EAD Post Decision Activity

11/12/2011 ~ EAD/AP card on hand!!!

02/02/2012 ~ RFE for lost medical and divorce decree, got the notice on Feb. 9, 2012

02/17/2012 ~ Submitted rfe, USCIS received it Feb. 21,2012

03/08/2012 ~ Card/Doc production, Decision

March 15,2012 ~ GC on hand! Permanent Resident since 28 February 2012

I am quite an independent person who has had various parental issues throughout my life. This has made me very reluctant to become dependent on anyone again. For the first time in a very long time, the immigration process is going to require that I once again put all of my eggs in one basket and become totally and utterly reliant on someone else but myself.

Right now, I am just visiting the USA to see my fiance and his family (his parents, extended family, as we are a young couple with no kids of our own). I am without a vehicle during the most hectic time of the year, and I feel very uncomfortable traveling on public transit in his city, as it is very large and known for random acts of crime. I come from a small city (200,000 people) with very low crime rates, and feel quite secure walking alone and being out at night alone. In my fiance's city, I dread the idea of even walking to the pharmacy 2 blocks away. When I move here on the K-1, I cannot get my license or work for 3-6 months (Adj of status waiting period), and I am really questioning how I am going to rely solely on one person to drive me around, support me financially, and help me keep my sanity in a place where I know nobody.

I am basically looking for advice about how people have gotten through this tough part of immigration. I trust my fiance completely, but like any couple, we have our ups and downs and I fear this act of placing my well-being in the hands of someone else.

How have other Vj'ers who have marriage based visa's or GC's getting around these obstacles? How can you create a foundation for yourself in a place foreign to you, and how can you create a support network that involves people other than your spouse or fiance? I am afraid this is going to put a major strain on our relationship, as he too is very independent.

Help!

(Side note: Please refrain from telling me how every perfect couple should trust enough to become dependent on their significant other, or that we are not made to be because I am fearing this... that is not always the case)

I think moving to a completely new place -and country- will always be a challenge. However, you will be ahead of the game when compared to other beneficiaries. For one, you speak the language which is a BIG plus. Also, the differences between the culture in Canada and the US are pretty minimal when compared to the cultural change that other beneficiaries do go through. Not to say that you will not have any problems adjusting, but in the big scheme of things, you will have a much easier time adjusting than most other beneficiaries. Something that you can begin to do now to try to ease the move is to begin to talk to and befriend your fiance's friends. In this way, once you move you will not be a single person moving into a single person's world, but would rather be received by a network of friends. It is too bad that you are afraid of walking or using the public transportation system becausew this would be an easy way for you to find venues (libraries, gym, schools, volunteering places, etc.) where you could effectively use your time as you wait for your AOS and EAD to be approved. Yet, I understand that not everyone is adventurous. I think the most important things would be to talk to your fiance about these concerns and feelings before you move, so that you two can think of an action plan before you are faced with the challenge.

Best wishes!

August 23, 2010 - I-129 F package sent via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.

August 30, 2010 - Per Department of Homeland Security (DHS) e-mail, petition received and routed to California Service Center for processing. Check cashed. I-797C Notice of Action by mail (NOA 1) - Received date 08/25/2010. Notice date 08/27/2010.

After 150 days of imposed anxious patience...

January 24, 2011 - Per USCIS website, petition approved and notice mailed.

January 31, 2011 - Approval receipt notice (NOA 2) received by mail. Called NVC, given Santo Domingo case number, and informed that petition was sent same day to consulate.

Called Visa Specialist at the Department of State every day for a case update. Informed of interview date on February, 16 2011. Informed that packet was mailed to fiance on February, 15 2011.

February 21, 2011 - Fiance has not yet received packet. Called 1-877-804-5402 (Visa Information Center of the United States Embassy) to request a duplicate packet in person pick-up at the US consulate in Santo Domingo. Packet can be picked-up by fiance on 02/28.

March 1, 2011 - Medical exam completed at Consultorios de Visa in Santo Domingo.

March 9, 2011 at 6 AM - Interview, approved!

March 18, 2011 - POE together. JFK and O'Hare airports. Legal wedding: May 16, 2011.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

-Henry David Thoreau

Maybe i missed something...but why can't you drive in Cali with ur Canadian license? I have cousins who visit all the time here in VA/NC and they drive their vehicles and mine all the time! Just apply for ur CALI DL and keep driving on ur Canadian DL till you get ur CA DL! B-)

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I thought I remembered there being only a certain amount of time you can drive on your foreign license or out of state license before you have to change it to a ca one if you are now a resident. I.e. Visiting for three months you can drive on the international license the entire time, but move to live here and you can only use it for............somebody help me out here, how long was it? I want to say 10 days for some reason, but I can't remember. I have seen it posted on vj looong ago. :/

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I drove with my Canadian driver's license right up until the time I got my Washington state drivers license. I had to take the written and driving test in Washington. Luckily, because I had been driving for over 30 years, the driving tester was more interested in talking about my immigration process than actually having me do the test, so it was a piece of cake. They realize you must know what you're doing if you've been driving for over 30 years, but it's just a formality.

Good luck with your move to the U.S. You will slowly get used to your new life, although don't rush it.... I've been here for over 6 years and I still miss Canada a lot.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.