Obama 2012

House Democrats Care More About Illegal Immigrants Than American Citizens

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing to see here folks, just some vote buying.....

---------------

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/08/dream.act/index.html?hpt=T1

Washington (CNN) -- A hotly debated measure that offers a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who came to the United States as children won approval Wednesday from the U.S. House.

The 216-198 vote, mostly on partisan lines, sends the so-called DREAM Act to the Senate, where it was uncertain if supporters had the votes to overcome a certain Republican filibuster against it.

The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act -- or DREAM -- would create a path to citizenship for immigrants who entered the United States illegally as children under the age of 16 and have lived in America for at least five years, obtained a high school or General Education Development diploma and demonstrated "good moral character," according to a White House fact sheet.

Even then, only a six-year conditional status would be awarded, and before moving to the next phase, the students would need to meet additional requirements -- attending college or serving in the military for at least two years, and passing criminal background checks.

Proponents, including President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders, say the bill offers legal standing to young people brought to the United States who have bettered themselves and served their new country, while opponents claim it is a form of amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Before Wednesday's House vote, Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano joined congressional Democrats at a news conference to urge Congress to pass the bill.

"These are not the individuals that are a threat to our public safety or our security," Napolitano said. "This is an area where ... our nation's immigration laws have not kept up with our nation's needs."

The White House has touted the bill as a measure that will strengthen the nation's military and its economy.

A potential beneficiary is Cesar Vargas, a soon-to-be law school graduate with a 3.8 average who wants to serve in the U.S. military.

Under current law, Vargas won't even be able to hold a job after he graduates, much less enlist. He is in the country illegally after being brought to New York from Mexico as a child.

"All I want is the opportunity to serve my country and to give back to the country that has given me so much," Vargas said. "... We're not a problem. We're the solution."

However, Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said the bill could grant amnesty to more than 2 million illegal immigrants.

"Mass amnesty is not the only problem with the DREAM Act," said Smith, the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee. "The bill allows illegal immigrants to receive in-state tuition at public universities, placing them ahead of U.S. citizens. The bill also is a magnet for fraud."

The White House disputed that the bill will give amnesty, noting in a fact sheet that "it requires responsibility and accountability of young people who apply to adjust their status under the DREAM Act, creating a lengthy and rigorous process."

It also points out that DREAM Act beneficiaries would not be eligible for federal grants, such as Pell Grants, to attend college. "Undocumented youth adjusting to lawful permanent resident status are only eligible for federal student loans which must be paid back, and federal work-study programs where they must work for any benefit they receive," according to the White House.

"This is not some dream road, easy-picking concession of the Congress of the United States, of the government, to American citizenship," said Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Illinois, who delivered an impassioned plea on behalf of the measure. "No Pell Grant. I'd like to see you get through college without a Pell Grant. No government assistance ... no health care. Nothing. Nothing but your own faith and your own determination and your own work to get you through school. And nothing but your own work, your own determination to join the military."

Beneficiaries will receive in-state tuition in their state of residence, the same as any student, he said.

The Congressional Budget Office has said the measure would cut the federal deficit by $1.4 billion and increase government revenues by $2.3 billion over the next decade.

Young people who do not fulfill the act's requirements will lose their legal status and would be subject to deportation, according to the White House fact sheet. DREAM Act applicants would be responsible for paying the processing fees associated with their applications, and would be subject to "rigorous criminal background checks and reviews."

DREAM Act beneficiaries would not be able to petition for legal status for their family members until after they had satisfied all the requirements. They would also be subject to waiting periods.

"The bottom line is that it would take many years before parents or siblings who previously entered the country illegally could obtain a green card," the White House said.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

more selling out of america. :yes:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yea. We wouldn't want to allow people with good moral character to be U.S. citizens.

I have nothing against people who come here illegally, especially nothing against the kids.

Who the government chooses to let in legally is all based on a bunch of nonsense governed by incompetent clowns anyway.

To go on thinking we're better people simply because we were born here, or were let in by whomever happened to be manning the USCIS mailbox that day, is ridiculous.

Yea. We wouldn't want to allow people with good moral character to be U.S. citizens.

I have nothing against people who come here illegally, especially nothing against the kids.

Who the government chooses to let in legally is all based on a bunch of nonsense governed by incompetent clowns anyway.

To go on thinking we're better people simply because we were born here, or were let in by whomever happened to be manning the USCIS mailbox that day, is ridiculous.

Illegal is illegal.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I wish the focus was on people that are going the current legal route to immigration. That is people that are on this forum as well as the thousands of others that are all waiting so long.

As a US citizen, I feel like they don't care about me and my petition for my German wife. (Long story, but USCIS incompetence is at fault for the forced separation of my green card holding wife of 26 years and myself and kids.)

Fix the system first, seal the southern border so that it is just as tight as all of the other POE's in the country, lower the waiting times for all applicants in the system and man the system so that waiting times will never be as unreasonable as they are now. Then, and only then consider something like the Dream Act or the bigger goal of amensty for the ILLEGAL people in the country.

Until then, even the thought of the Dream Act is a mean insult and salt in the wounds of everyone that came here legally and people in the system suffering under the broken immigration system.

I wish the focus was on people that are going the current legal route to immigration. That is people that are on this forum as well as the thousands of others that are all waiting so long.

As a US citizen, I feel like they don't care about me and my petition for my German wife. (Long story, but USCIS incompetence is at fault for the forced separation of my green card holding wife of 26 years and myself and kids.)

Fix the system first, seal the southern border so that it is just as tight as all of the other POE's in the country, lower the waiting times for all applicants in the system and man the system so that waiting times will never be as unreasonable as they are now. Then, and only then consider something like the Dream Act or the bigger goal of amensty for the ILLEGAL people in the country.

Until then, even the thought of the Dream Act is a mean insult and salt in the wounds of everyone that came here legally and people in the system suffering under the broken immigration system.

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You really think if the Dream Act was that important the Democrats would wait nearly two years to anything about it and during a lame duck season to boot?

I'll take our clowns at USCIS over open immigration advocates who want a system that exists nowhere else on the planet. It has nothing to with thinking we're "better people".

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

The Dream Act has broad bipartisan support in Congress and is quite popular among American voters.

I would like to see a link showing that it's popular among American voters. I have yet to meet anyone that is for the "Dream Act".

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would like to see a link showing that it's popular among American voters. I have yet to meet anyone that is for the "Dream Act".

Majority Support the DREAM Act, Poll Finds

A poll commissioned by a family-advocacy group in Washington, D.C., indicates that support for the DREAM Act has increased nationally, even as tensions over immigration continue. The DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act would allow undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as young children a chance at permanent-residency status — if they meet specific requirements.

The poll, commissioned by First Focus and conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, indicates that 70 percent of people in the U.S. are in favor of the legislation, an increase from the 58 percent who supported the measure in 2004. The bill is authored by U.S. Sens. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Richard Lugar, R-Ind., and would permit students who have lived in the country for at least five years to seek residency status if they steer clear of trouble, graduate high school or earn a GED, and complete at least two years of college or military service. The poll also reflects that 69 percent of respondents favor a provision that allows state governments to determine on their own if in-state tuition should be offered to undocumented-immigrant students.

First Focus President Bruce Lesley said the bipartisan support underscores the fact that most in the U.S. are largely concerned about the economic ramifications of disallowing thousands of students to continue their education after high school.

http://www.texastrib...act-poll-finds/

Here's another poll:

Rasmussen: Voters Support Idea of DREAM Act

and another:

CNN Poll: 81% Approve Legalisation Programme

Edited by 8TBVBN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You really think if the Dream Act was that important the Democrats would wait nearly two years to anything about it and during a lame duck season to boot?

I'll take our clowns at USCIS over open immigration advocates who want a system that exists nowhere else on the planet. It has nothing to with thinking we're "better people".

I'm betting Ole gringoconmexicana has locks his house......in order to keep those he doesn't want, coming in.

Does he do that because he thinks he and his family are "Better people"?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Your polls mean absolutly nothing. The Amreican people don't have a clue about how the immigration system really works. I was one of the ignorant Americans that got caught up in the system. The more I get involved in it, the more I see how messed up the system is. I guess you could say that I learned the hard way as so many have unforutnately had to do.

Take a poll of people that have some knowledge about the system. See what their opinion is and then tell me if you think the Dream Act is fair to everyone else in the immigration process. It is not fair, just or right to the people playing by the rules.

The main stream media wants the Dream Act because it will be thousands and eventually millions of votes for their allies in the Democrat Party. That is the bottom line and anyone that thinks differently is wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm betting Ole gringoconmexicana has locks his house......in order to keep those he doesn't want, coming in.

Does he do that because he thinks he and his family are "Better people"?

What does locking my doors have to do with the Dream Act or the fact I think the USCIS is horrible?

And it's not just the USCIS, it's the whole DHS, or whoever mans the embassies that give out Visas.

Illegal immigrants, whether good or bad, come here illegally, not because they don't want to wait in line, but because they have no chance of coming here legally. If you're a rich white drug dealer from Mexico (I mention Mexico because I lived there with my wife for a few years), then the immigration officers in Guadalajara will likely give you whatever Visa you happen to be petitioning for that day. If you're brown and don't have money falling out your clothes, you aren't even going to get a Visitors Visa. You got no chance. So I have no problem with, at least in the case of Mexicans, people coming here illegally. I'd fear more the ones coming here legally on some visa that is not marriage-based.

Fix the legal immigration process so that it is fair, makes some sort of sense, and is run by somebody who is halfway accountable. Then I'll start getting upset about people coming here illegally. But, then again, nothing is going to be fixed, at least not in my lifetime.

As far as the Dream Act, if it is as it is described in the article, then I'm all for it. I didn't notice anything in there where it mentioned I'd need to stop locking my doors at night. But, then again, it won't pass. And, if it does, it won't matter. It's not like the USCIS is going to handle it well or anything.

And, yes, I'm jaded.

"House Democrats Care More About Illegal Immigrants Than American Citizens"

White guilt will make libs do the strangest things.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your polls mean absolutly nothing. The Amreican people don't have a clue about how the immigration system really works. I was one of the ignorant Americans that got caught up in the system. The more I get involved in it, the more I see how messed up the system is. I guess you could say that I learned the hard way as so many have unforutnately had to do.

Take a poll of people that have some knowledge about the system. See what their opinion is and then tell me if you think the Dream Act is fair to everyone else in the immigration process. It is not fair, just or right to the people playing by the rules.

The main stream media wants the Dream Act because it will be thousands and eventually millions of votes for their allies in the Democrat Party. That is the bottom line and anyone that thinks differently is wrong.

First, they aren't my polls. Rasmussen is notoriously known for leaning to the Right in how they conduct their polls, so the thread title is just an angry blogger's lie about the Dream Act. It's also not just popular among American voters, but enjoys broad bipartisan support in both chambers of Congress.

What's more telling though is what sources you have read about the Dream Act that have shaped your strong opinion about it - NumbersUSA? StormFront? Not every American voter reads such fringe publications that have an anti-immigration slant.

Edited by 8TBVBN