Myopia

Salma Hayek was an Illegal Alien.

15 posts in this topic

How interesting. Wonder how she legalized.

Salma

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Curious indeed. I wonder if she means she entered the US illegally, or she overstayed a visa and so became out of status illegal?

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 3 weeks later...

she overstayed a visa...

Salma Hayek

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Other Timeline

Selma H. is so dumb, she doesn't even know that she wasn't an illegal alien.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Selma H. is so dumb, she doesn't even know that she wasn't an illegal alien.

really? she was out of status, and had she not "fixed" her immigration issue promptly - she would have remained out of status. at what point in your mind - would she have become "illegal"? or would she never been illegal simply because she entered with a visa?

Filed: Other Timeline

Since you asked, let me tell you the difference of an illegal alien and someone who is out of status.

An illegal alien is someone who entered the US without permission, without a visa, without inspection (EWI) totally under the radar, so to speak. This usually happens in the trunk of a car, or by crossing the Rio Grande, or by climbing over a fence. The US government has zero information about the person, doesn't know who he or she is, and what his or her reasons are.

An alien who is out of status is someone who entered the US with permission, with a visa or VWP, with inspection. The US government knows who is is, his age, his address, everything.

An illegal alien can never adjust status to a resident; an alien who is out of status can, easily.

An illegal alien is like someone who entered your house though the back door. You don't know the introder's intentions. If you call the police they will arrest him and charge him with breaking and entry.

An alien who is out of status is like a guy you invited to a party. You opened the door to him but when the party's over, he's still hanging around. No need to call the cops, as he has not committed a crime. If you ask him to leave and he does, everything is fine. That is what the police would suggest you do when you call them.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country:
Timeline
How do you reconcile that both are deportable on their own merit?

That is irrelevant to the issue at hand (Illegal Alien vs Out of Status).

Just because both a human and a dog can be drown that doesn't make us the same things, right?

That is irrelevant to the issue at hand (Illegal Alien vs Out of Status).

Just because both a human and a dog can be drown that doesn't make us the same things, right?

The point I am trying to make is that in the eyes of USCIS - both are illegal (and thus deportable). That's what makes it relevant.

Timeline
The point I am trying to make is that in the eyes of USCIS - both are illegal (and thus deportable). That's what makes it relevant.

But even USCIS make a distinction:

Illegal Alien (Illegal Entry) can not adjust status within the US.

Unlawful Presence (Out of Status) can adjust status within the US if they are the spouse of a US Citizen.

So, yes both are deport-able but no they are not the same.

Kind of like, driving without a license is an arrest-able crime (in most places) just as murder is an arrest-able crime (in most places) but that doesn't make them equivalent.

Sine there are situations where the difference between illegal entrant and visa overstayer make a world of difference I wouldn't suggest lumping them together much like I wouldn't suggest lumping B-Visa entrant & Visa Waiver Program entrant together as the VWP entrant waives some important stuff that offers the visa holder protections a VWP entrant specifically doesn't get.

To say they're the same you have to be able to match them in every aspect, not just a few key aspects. I guess that's the point I was trying to make.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

They also lump them together as all "undocumented". So a bit of both. Regardless if they did enter with inspection - they are still referred to by USCIS as a significant portion of the undocumented immigrants in the US.

the typical way of entering the undocumented population in the United States is to arrive as a nonimmigrant and stay beyond the specified period of admission. This segment of the population, referred to here as "nonimmigrant overstays," constitutes approximately 40 percent of the undocumented immigrant population residing in the United States.

http://www.uscis.gov...3fullreport.pdf

Edited by LaL

Timeline
They also lump them together as all "undocumented". So a bit of both. Regardless if they did enter with inspection - they are still referred to by USCIS as a significant portion of the undocumented immigrants in the US.

You're right just like dogs & humans are lumped together as mammals!

Again, here in this forum when discussing immigration matters these things do make a difference and using the larger broad stroke type label does nobody any good but rather in muddies the waters.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.