keysjangle

Jobs for degree holders in the U.S.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have a degree, a BA specifically, what kind of work did you find? I'll be getting mine in a double major of English and Book & Media studies and living in HI.

I assume most people get a really basic job at first just to start getting and income, but after that, what has your experience been looking for a job that you know will fully appreciate your degree?

Or if you haven't found it yet, what are you looking for?

Personally, I want to get into printing or publishing specifically; I'm a dying breed :lol:

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have not found a job in a year and 3 months of living here. I live in Nebraska.

Degree for Veterinary Tech / Assistant.

Looked at Vet Clinics across my entire state even up to an hour drive away.

Applied to petsmart, petco and other pet stores for retail positions and nothing.

Applied to other retail stores for GENERAL RETAIL and SHELF STOCKING. Nothing again. (stores like JCP, halmark, target etc )

My resume is on 5 different websites which I constantly check and update. I have walked around handing out TONS of them, Iv called places that I handed them out to and never get returned phone calls. Havent even had ONE interview booked.

Signed up with a company to help me find a job and nothing!

I just recently re-applied at pet stores through online application as well as in person to the store and nothing yet from them ( been a week )

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Most of my coworkers hold Bachelor's degrees. I work at Pizza Hut. Maybe try to work on a Master's when you're here.. A Master's in the new Bachelor's. And I'm not even trying to be funny.

Filed: Other Timeline

A Bachelor's degree, with very few exceptions, is nothing but proof that you have a solid general education background. You are not a complete ididot, you can read and write English at an acceptable level, can compute, know a second language, and have been introduced in various fields of human knowledge. The Bachelor's is a preparation for the path of higher education. Due to the current economic situation, many people with a B.A. or B.S. work entry-level jobs and are glad that they are able to make any money at all. In order to get a decent job, a Master's or Doctorate degree is required. It's true, the Master's is the new Bachelor's and today's Bachelor's is about to become the place holder for yesterdays' High School Diploma.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I'm not sure if 'the MA is the new BA' so I can't comment on that.

The job I applied to was asking for a HSDiploma and because I had a BA, they upped my pay.Plus I really believe you need a BA to do this job anyway (medical research) but as it's funded by grants, I think it was the company's way of reducing costs.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that in bigger cities, a BA is slowly being pushed out of the picture by MAs.

I've considered going the college route in the U.S. (since college/university are different here - for me, a college offers more hands on and experience based knowledge vs. theory) but I don't think I'll be able to afford it, plus to keep my future husband and I on our feet I would want to start working asap.

I'm happy with entry level if its in a field I wish to work in. Also fine with an initial retail/barista job in the beginning, but I don't want to become complacent and let my degree go to waste.

I should probably look around online to see what sorts of opportunities are around for little ol' me :unsure:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Look for an internship?

One of the difficulties for long term retail etc jobs is that they know you will move on as soon as you can, not so much an issue for short term holiday jobs.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My advice would be not to close yourself off to jobs in your specific degree field. There are a lot of entry level positions in a number of industries that simply require a BA of any kind. Any job that helps you establish yourself professionally is a step forward, and maybe eventually you can work your way up to your dream field. I have a BA in Political Science and currently work as an Insurance Agent. It is definitely not related to my degree, but its a job I enjoy and I'm making decent money. It's definitely not where I want to be in 10 years, but at 23 I feel pretty good about what I'm doing.

My advice would be not to close yourself off to jobs in your specific degree field. There are a lot of entry level positions in a number of industries that simply require a BA of any kind. Any job that helps you establish yourself professionally is a step forward, and maybe eventually you can work your way up to your dream field. I have a BA in Political Science and currently work as an Insurance Agent. It is definitely not related to my degree, but its a job I enjoy and I'm making decent money. It's definitely not where I want to be in 10 years, but at 23 I feel pretty good about what I'm doing.

Good to hear that, like you i also have a Political Science degree and at the same time Bachelor of Laws degree so i would really like to practice my profession although i know i need to take further studies when i get there then if all things will go as planned then take the state bar, but as what you said i'm not closing my doors to any possibility for a starter, wish me luck! :) Thanks for the info. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

i am a registered nurse

K1 JOURNEY
Sent I 129 F: Mid January 2010, they received it January 20th
Interview: June 21st...K1 VISA APPROVED
POE in MCO: July 22nd 2010

AOS JOURNEY
Sent AOS, EAD, AP: November 8th 2010
Delivered: November 10th
Check cashed, NOA1s received in text and email: November 16th
Touch: November 19th
Biometrics in Orlando: December 16th
Contacted congressman's office with inquiry to expedite AP: January 12th 2011
EAD approved: January 13th
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th
AP received: January 21st
Started job hunting: February 11th
Interview: March 7th @ 2.35 pm - GC APPROVED!
Received GC in mail: March 14th
ROC: December 8th 2012

ROC JOURNEY
Sent I - 751 packet: February 4th 2013
Packet delivered: Feb 6th
Check cashed: Feb 11th
NOA1 (dated 2/7/13) received: Feb 12th
Biometric appointment: March 14th

RFE dated July 15th received

RFE reply sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center: Oct 9th

GC approved, letter dated Oct 30th

h5m17p.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How did you get into the insurance industry? I was looking into it but was a little confused. Apparently, one needs insurance-related experiences to become an agent.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It varies by State.

Usually each State has its own exams which are not that difficult.

Usually the State Farms etc of this world are always advertising. If you are an Agent rather than an employee you are self employed. More sales than technical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I work in auto/home insurance (as an actuary, which btw does not require any degree beyond a bachelors to make very good money as long as you're willing to study to pass the credentialing exams) and we are always hiring customer service representatives. Those with the motivation to do so will usually progress through the different areas of the company - sales, claims, underwriting, etc. Some will leave to work for independent agents elsewhere.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It varies by State.

Usually each State has its own exams which are not that difficult.

Usually the State Farms etc of this world are always advertising. If you are an Agent rather than an employee you are self employed. More sales than technical.

Are there book to prepare this kind of exam? What kind of subject does it cover?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.