CamIrwin

Russian out Ukrainian in

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My Russian fiancee jerked me around for 2 years, now we're out of time. And I lost the trust in her. So now I found a girl in Ukraine. Is it true we from US don't need a toutist visa to visit Ukraine? All the forms for fiancee visa is the same?

Thanks

Cam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My Russian fiancee jerked me around for 2 years, now we're out of time. And I lost the trust in her. So now I found a girl in Ukraine. Is it true we from US don't need a toutist visa to visit Ukraine? All the forms for fiancee visa is the same?

Thanks

Cam

It is true. No visa needed for US citizens to visit Ukraine. I am partial to Ukrainian girls myself. I could be biased.

Good luck. Ukrainian girls, while still possessed of a mighty "stinger" are far less quick to use it, in my experience. They are more possessive though.

K visa documents are the same. Kiev is very "family visa friendly"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is true. No visa needed for US citizens to visit Ukraine. I am partial to Ukrainian girls myself. I could be biased.

Good luck. Ukrainian girls, while still possessed of a mighty "stinger" are far less quick to use it, in my experience. They are more possessive though.

K visa documents are the same. Kiev is very "family visa friendly"

Gary, isn't your wife really of full Russian heritage? That's the impression I got from some of your past posts. Perhaps I got it wrong.

Gary, isn't your wife really of full Russian heritage? That's the impression I got from some of your past posts. Perhaps I got it wrong.

I think lots of Ukrainians have Russian relatives and ancestry. Many of the forty and above crowd there, and in Belarus, prefer to think of themselves as ethnic Russians even if they were born in Ukraine. Can't speak for Alla. Vika has Russian relatives, and is from Eastern (Russified) Ukraine, but is adamantly Ukrainian. Ditto Gary's comment about stinger and possesiveness though.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Yes, hopefully you got from my post that I was speaking tongue in cheek just a bit. :unsure: Yepper...Alla is Russian, says so on her BC and passport, her mother was born in Russia, transferred to Ukraine as an engineer. Most people in Donetsk are of Russian nationality.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I think lots of Ukrainians have Russian relatives and ancestry. Many of the forty and above crowd there, and in Belarus, prefer to think of themselves as ethnic Russians even if they were born in Ukraine. Can't speak for Alla. Vika has Russian relatives, and is from Eastern (Russified) Ukraine, but is adamantly Ukrainian. Ditto Gary's comment about stinger and possesiveness though.

If asked in Ukraine, Alla says she is Russian. If asked here, she says she is Ukrainian. Though she was shopping for flowers at Lowe's and chatting with some woman about flowers and the woman asked "Where are you from?" She said "I am from Mallets Bay" The woman said "Um...they talk like that in Mallets Bay?" Alla said "I do." :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I am also partial to Ukraine. no visa is needed. it seems Ukraine is considered an easy interview if you have all the documents in place.

good luck

Generally that is true. Don't forget that Russians can easily travel to Ukraine also and that if you have a Russian fiancee you can meet her in Kiev or Kharkov quite easily. It seems also to be cheaper to fly to Kiev than to any place in Russia (not always though, sometimes it is cheaper from Moscow) so it is a good place to meet up.

Gary And Alla

Yes, hopefully you got from my post that I was speaking tongue in cheek just a bit. :unsure: Yepper...Alla is Russian, says so on her BC and passport, her mother was born in Russia, transferred to Ukraine as an engineer. Most people in Donetsk are of Russian nationality.

That is what I meant :lol: If my parents come here from India, and I am born here, I am still American. If they immigrate to England, they (and I) are UK citizens, right? Only in the FSU does some one born in one country claim nationality in another, without any one batting an eye.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

That is what I meant :lol: If my parents come here from India, and I am born here, I am still American. If they immigrate to England, they (and I) are UK citizens, right? Only in the FSU does some one born in one country claim nationality in another, without any one batting an eye.

:lol:

Alla is Russian like I am English. But for some reason they continue this practice of stating someone's "nationality" on their passport and birth certificate.

Not to mention the obscure "nationalities" like Tartar, Gypsy, Chechen, etc. :wacko:

Alla is a 1st generation Ukrainian citizen of Russian heritage

Seriously though, in my limited experience, Ukrainians seem more "mild" in temperment and more possessive in what is "theirs" but have their own way to clearly telegraph what bothers them. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary, having lived and worked over in that area of the world, you certainly have more experience than most of us average visitors and tourists...so your observations carry more weight. I personally can't make any comparisons because I never connected with a Ukrainian lady.

With that said, I think the personalities of any "FSU" women are the result of many variables beyond just country of residence. I mean, I would think village Ukrainians would be different than city girls. That western Ukrainians would be different than eastern. That women who lived under the USSR would differ from the ones who either can't remember the USSR or never had to deal with it. That "real" Ukrainian heritage women would differ from those whose relatives immigrated there from Russia or other USSR areas.

So...I wonder what reason(s) you (or others) think makes women who live within the boundaries of Ukraine different from those who live in the confines of Russia? And is it so dramatic as being worth even mentioning?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

- So if you're born in India and move to the US and get citizenship there, do you consider yourself an Indian American?

- What if you're born in the US, to USC parents (originally from India) and get yoru Indian passport (someone told me once you can't have both, but lets pretend you can). Are you an American Indian? Indian American? Or just American? or American & Indian?

For instance, my father was born in Scotland so by descent so am I Scottish, and I have a British passport. I was born in Australia. So right now am I a Scottish Australian? Let's assume I get USC... Am I a Scottish Australian American? Scot-Austr-american? I mean obviously if asked in the US I'm American.. but if they're asking about the accent... "of Scottish Australian descent". Dang it's confusing :S

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary, having lived and worked over in that area of the world, you certainly have more experience than most of us average visitors and tourists...so your observations carry more weight. I personally can't make any comparisons because I never connected with a Ukrainian lady.

With that said, I think the personalities of any "FSU" women are the result of many variables beyond just country of residence. I mean, I would think village Ukrainians would be different than city girls. That western Ukrainians would be different than eastern. That women who lived under the USSR would differ from the ones who either can't remember the USSR or never had to deal with it. That "real" Ukrainian heritage women would differ from those whose relatives immigrated there from Russia or other USSR areas.

So...I wonder what reason(s) you (or others) think makes women who live within the boundaries of Ukraine different from those who live in the confines of Russia? And is it so dramatic as being worth even mentioning?

I agree with you here, and am also interested as I don't know many Ukrainians.

Also, re: being "Russian" vs being "Ukrainian..." remember that in Russian, there's different words for being ethnic Russian and a citizen of Russia, a distinction that the English language doesn't make. A Jew from Ukraine isn't considered Ukrainian, an ethnic Russian from Ukraine isn't considered Ukrainian, an ethnic Belarusian from Ukraine isn't. They are (x ethnicity) who happened to grow up in Ukraine.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

My experience, limited as it is, is with Russian women living in Ukraine and various Ukrainian women. Some from west Ukraine, some from villages and yes, there are many differences. There are perhaps more differences between rural and city women and also between younger and older women. Personally, and again with limited experience, I draw the "age line" at whether or not they finished their education in the Soviet Union. Seems like the women that are old enough to have truly lived and formed opinions of life in the Soviet system are far different than younger women.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I agree with you here, and am also interested as I don't know many Ukrainians.

Also, re: being "Russian" vs being "Ukrainian..." remember that in Russian, there's different words for being ethnic Russian and a citizen of Russia, a distinction that the English language doesn't make. A Jew from Ukraine isn't considered Ukrainian, an ethnic Russian from Ukraine isn't considered Ukrainian, an ethnic Belarusian from Ukraine isn't. They are (x ethnicity) who happened to grow up in Ukraine.

True and Alla can usually pick them by their names. "She is not Russian, she is Tartar" But she is a Russian citizen. "Not really Russian though"

And yes, they consider Jews to be Jews, not Russian or Ukrainian. I always considered it a religion, they consider it a nationality.

It can be confusing.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.