ibee

Do I need form I-693?

8 posts in this topic

Confused about I-693 because technically all AOS applicants need to file it, but I've lived in the US for the past 9 years. Recently graduated from college, and have records of all the vaccines, etc...

Do I still need to file it?

Context: overstayed an H4 since 7 years ago, and now marrying a USC and filing for AOS, concurrently.

Thanks!

March 2012 - Married <3

AOS Concurrent I-130, I-485, EAD
Day 0.....4/03/12 - Package mailed to Chicago via USPS Priority Mail
4/06/12 - Delivered!
Day 7.....4/10/12 - Email Acceptance Confirmation for all 3!
Day 13...4/16/12 - NOAs for I-130, I-485, EAD received in mail.
Day 16...4/19/12 - NOA for Biometrics appointment Received. Scheduled for 4/27/12.
Day 20...4/23/12 - Biometrics appointment completed, early walk-in at different location!
Day 66...6/07/12 - EAD Production!!! Lucky, 2 days before this we submitted a change of address from ND to PA
Day 70...6/11/12 - 2nd EAD Production 6/12/12 - EAD mailed! Interview scheduled for July 13th!

Day 73...6/14/12 - EAD in hand!
Day 82...6/23/12 - We mailed letter to old Office to confirm change of address and cancel our July 13th interview. Received NOA for an Interview scheduled in Philadelphia Office on July 24th!
Day 92...7/03/12 - July 24th interview was cancelled (file did not get in on time). Got NOA for interview on August 9th!
Day129..8/09/12 - INTERVIEW! Received card production email 8hrs later!
8/10/12 - Email NOAs, approved I-130 and I-485!
Day138..8/18/12 - GC DELIVERED!!! Emails received: 2nd card production email on 8/15, card mailed on 8/15, card picked up by USPS on 8/15.

12/13/12 - Filed for divorce 8/2/13 Entered Divorce Decree

ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Confused about I-693 because technically all AOS applicants need to file it, but I've lived in the US for the past 9 years. Recently graduated from college, and have records of all the vaccines, etc...

Do I still need to file it?

Context: overstayed an H4 since 7 years ago, and now marrying a USC and filing for AOS, concurrently.

Yes. You need a full medical. The exception you will see mentioned on VJ is people like me who entered on a K1 and had a medical BEFORE entering the country requiring me to only update my vaccines (if appropriate)

**Edit - it's not just vaccines. They check you for syphillis, TB, and other stuff and of course make sure your vaccines are up to date.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Yes. You need a full medical. The exception you will see mentioned on VJ is people like me who entered on a K1 and had a medical BEFORE entering the country requiring me to only update my vaccines (if appropriate)

**Edit - it's not just vaccines. They check you for syphillis, TB, and other stuff and of course make sure your vaccines are up to date.

I agree with Vanessa and Tony, the medical exam is mandatory, no matter how long you are in the country or what your status was before filing for AOS.

You need to have a current clearance from a civil surgeon and file it with your application or if you want to file the AOS down the road, make sure that the medical exam and filled out forms with it are less then 12 months old. You surely can save money if you have vaccinations already up to date and can even get a TB and syphillis blod test done at your primary doctor if you have one (and if lucky get it covered by insurance) so that the USCIS designated doctor will acknowledge these results and does his basic checks on your physical state - and hopefully charge you less.

Good luck on your AOS journey

M.

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I agree with Vanessa and Tony, the medical exam is mandatory, no matter how long you are in the country or what your status was before filing for AOS.

You need to have a current clearance from a civil surgeon and file it with your application or if you want to file the AOS down the road, make sure that the medical exam and filled out forms with it are less then 12 months old. You surely can save money if you have vaccinations already up to date and can even get a TB and syphillis blod test done at your primary doctor if you have one (and if lucky get it covered by insurance) so that the USCIS designated doctor will acknowledge these results and does his basic checks on your physical state - and hopefully charge you less.

The only correction I have is the TB test. I remember reading someone went and had it done somewhere else but the CS told them THEY had to administer the test because they were the ones signing off on the results (on the form). Syphillis is likely to be the same. Immunisations I know they accept from anywhere.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The only correction I have is the TB test. I remember reading someone went and had it done somewhere else but the CS told them THEY had to administer the test because they were the ones signing off on the results (on the form). Syphillis is likely to be the same. Immunisations I know they accept from anywhere.

My guess is you are right about the TB test, but my husband was able to do the syphilis test at our county's health dept and the CS signed off on it.

02/21/99 Hubby entered with F1 student visa D/S

May 2002 He stopped attending school because he couldn't afford it any longer.

03?/2002 USC sibling I-130 petition

02/2009 Met hubby

08/2009 Sibling petition approved but ineligible to adjust status due to overstay

07/10 Married :)

11/22/10 [day 0]- mailed AOS packet!! should be there by noon 11/23/2010

12/3/10 [day 11]- received email/text notification of acceptance from USCIS

12/3/10 hubby surprised me with a trip to Los Angeles for my birthday...no problems :)

12/6/10 [day 14]- received hard copy NOA1 in mail

12/7/10 [day 15]- checks cashed...ouch

12/15/10 [day 23]- rec'd biometrics appt set for Dec. 28th at 10 am! :)

12/28/10 [day 36]- successful biometrics appt

01/27/11 [day 66]- rec'd interview appt set for March 10th at 10 am :)

02/25/11 [day 95]- rec'd EAD

03/10/11 [day 109]- Interview, Green card approved!! :)

Next Step: Removing conditions in 2 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My guess is you are right about the TB test, but my husband was able to do the syphilis test at our county's health dept and the CS signed off on it.

I would guess that this is correct.

The tuberculin skin test is a judgment call by the doctor. They look for a reaction on the skin. If they see one then they measure it. If it's 5mm or more then the test is positive. The determination as to whether the test was positive or negative is made by the doctor. I would be surprised to see any doctor sign off on a TST that was conducted by a different doctor.

The syphilis test, on the other hand, doesn't involve any discretionary interpretation by the doctor, and it's performed in a lab. Even a civil surgeon would not actually perform this test themselves. They just draw the blood and send it off to the lab. The determination as to whether the test is positive or negative is made by the lab, not the doctor. They're just certifying the test was done by a qualified lab.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

About TB test, I had mine done about 4 months ago at the local health department, went back 2 days after and had the nurse write up the results on a small card. I brought this to the civil surgeon and he accepted it (as well as blood work for syphilis and MMR titer and booster shots).

But, I could see other civil surgeon wanting to do it themselves. Mine was free at the health department... Might have been a lot more if a private doctor was to do it.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Oh boy ...what have I done!!!?? ;) Seriously, I guess it depends on the civil surgeon if they accept the pre-test for TB or not.

I had mine administered at my primary care physician, went back within the two days, they looked at it and then had a form letter on their letter head stating the dates and millimeter results - the official exam for USCIS accepted this.... as much as it is a pain in the a...rm, in "worst case scenario" you get tested twice.

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.