웃

At what age did you come to realize that God/Devil/Heaven/Hell/Angels/Demons are all man-made fairy tales?

238 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Everyone is definitely different, but from my perspective it is much more important to believe in God (and this includes the mystery of God) than it is to believe in religion. From that stance, I do believe that each religion should be questioned...and questioned sternly.

With that said, I personally tend to be a bit cautious around any religion that would claim to know the entire truth and provide answers to all our silly intellectual questions about God. I don't personally believe that any religion should make that claim, thus diminishing the true mystery of God.

This is why I am a Catholic...because we blatantly do not claim to know everything about God (which upsets some people of religion!)...we don't believe the Bible was written only by man (we believe it is written by man, who is inspired by God) and so we don't make silly claims of a 'young earth' which was created in exactly six day...we don't make claims that God wouldn't/couldn't use evolution to lead to the creation of man, we don't claim that all humans are going to be 'raptured' at a certain point in time, we don't believe in reincarnation, and we (nowadays!) don't claim that science is bunk.

However, though Catholics do be believe that our viewpoint is 'right'...we realize it is wrong to 'damn/judge' others. Personally, when I see groups that 'judge/damn' others because their religion is not the same as their religion, I become disturbed...because God is simply HUGE :thumbs:

So, personally, I believe in God, but I've certainly drifted too (that happens, we live in a wonderful world), but my world is much more complete when I enjoy each day with God...and I could do that with/without religion. Religion is the tools which we use to help us define that which is undefineable...its our paltry attempt at focusing on that which cannot be seen but can be felt at work in one's life through Faith in that which is not seen.

Again, this is just a ramble and is only my viewpoint...so feel free to take shots...cuz it is totally subjective! :innocent:

Blessings to this thread,

BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Really? They are called theories.

Time to open some real books Bill. Scientific theories aren't random and inexplicable thoughts just plucked out if thin air. Try getting a rocket into space based on belief and see how far that gets you.

Tell me, do you believe that evolutionary theory has any basis in observable phenomena?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Everyone is definitely different, but from my perspective it is much more important to believe in God (and this includes the mystery of God) than it is to believe in religion. From that stance, I do believe that each religion should be questioned...and questioned sternly.

With that said, I personally tend to be a bit cautious around any religion that would claim to know the entire truth and provide answers to all our silly intellectual questions about God. I don't personally believe that any religion should make that claim, thus diminishing the true mystery of God.

This is why I am a Catholic...because we blatantly do not claim to know everything about God (which upsets some people of religion!)...we don't believe the Bible was written only by man (we believe it is written by man, who is inspired by God) and so we don't make silly claims of a 'young earth' which was created in exactly six day...we don't make claims that God wouldn't/couldn't use evolution to lead to the creation of man, we don't claim that all humans are going to be 'raptured' at a certain point in time, we don't believe in reincarnation, and we (nowadays!) don't claim that science is bunk.

However, though Catholics do be believe that our viewpoint is 'right'...we realize it is wrong to 'damn/judge' others. Personally, when I see groups that 'judge/damn' others because their religion is not the same as their religion, I become disturbed...because God is simply HUGE :thumbs:

So, personally, I believe in God, but I've certainly drifted too (that happens, we live in a wonderful world), but my world is much more complete when I enjoy each day with God...and I could do that with/without religion. Religion is the tools which we use to help us define that which is undefineable...its our paltry attempt at focusing on that which cannot be seen but can be felt at work in one's life through Faith in that which is not seen.

Again, this is just a ramble and is only my viewpoint...so feel free to take shots...cuz it is totally subjective! :innocent:

BishopM

If you believe that ** sapiens share common ancestry with other living things on earth - which is scientifically provable, at what point in the process of getting from primordial soup to the humans of Christianity did ** sapiens acquire a soul?

I do think that spirituality and morality have a place in modern society, I simply don't think we should base our rules in the belief in an afterlife. There are more than enough problems to be solved that we can see, hear, feel, smell and touch in the here and now that are better served by basing our rules of morality on that which we know, not on that which we do not.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline

Time to open some real books Bill. Scientific theories aren't random and inexplicable thoughts just plucked out if thin air. Try getting a rocket into space based on belief and see how far that gets you.

Tell me, do you believe that evolutionary theory has any basis in observable phenomena?

Can to try and not be insulting to those that believe differently than you? What is with your pompous attitude?

I take it you have no scientific, or engineering background. There is a lot of praying going on in Mission Control, that they got it right this time, and when things go wrong, see how many folks begin looking for Divine intervention.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you believe that ** sapiens share common ancestry with other living things on earth - which is scientifically provable, at what point in the process of getting from primordial soup to the humans of Christianity did ** sapiens acquire a soul?

I do think that spirituality and morality have a place in modern society, I simply don't think we should base our rules in the belief in an afterlife. There are more than enough problems to be solved that we can see, hear, feel, smell and touch in the here and now that are better served by basing our rules of morality on that which we know, not on that which we do not.

I personally believe that man was given a soul immediately following the Christ's resurrection, as discussed in the Book of Acts.

I also believe that religion today has placed FAR too much emphasis the eschatology of the church (end times). Personally, I find no use in focusing much time/study on the Bible's Book of Revelation simply because of the fact which you have correcty mentioned: There is MUCH that we can do TODAY to help ourselves, our neighbors, and our world. Focusing on end times and the creation of fear seem unnecessary...again, my opinion.

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

There is a lot of praying going on in Mission Control, that they got it right this time, and when things go wrong, see how many folks begin looking for Divine intervention.

Absolutely correct. :thumbs:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Can to try and not be insulting to those that believe differently than you? What is with your pompous attitude?

I take it you have no scientific, or engineering background. There is a lot of praying going on in Mission Control, that they got it right this time, and when things go wrong, see how many folks begin looking for Divine intervention.

It's only your perception that I am being pompous and insulting, you do not like the things I say and take umbrage at it rather than analising the points I raise and counterpointing with credible argument..

Take what you will as to my background but just because there was 'praying' going on in Mission Control does not mean for one minute that rocket science is a belief system, such a suggestion is entirely asinine and not worthy of discussion.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I also believe that religion today has placed FAR too much emphasis the eschatology of the church (end times). Personally, I find no use in focusing much time/study on the Bible's Book of Revelation simply because of the fact which you have correcty mentioned: There is MUCH that we can do TODAY to help ourselves, our neighbors, and our world. Focusing on end times and the creation of fear seem unnecessary...again, my opinion.

12254a885fadccc3b.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's only your perception that I am being pompous and insulting, you do not like the things I say and take umbrage at it rather than analising the points I raise and counterpointing with credible argument..

Take what you will as to my background but just because there was 'praying' going on in Mission Control does not mean for one minute that rocket science is a belief system, such a suggestion is entirely asinine and not worthy of discussion.

CatAndMouse.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is this mafia wars time, or farmville hour for charles? :lol:

i don't play farmville.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I personally believe that man was given a soul immediately following the Christ's resurrection, as discussed in the Book of Acts.

I like the idea that the soul is the Breath we share with the Divine, and the rest of Creation. That man holds a special place in Creation is a bit of vanity.

More insults.

That's a mere 2000 years, and people born before then are judged by a different set of standards than people born after that time? That seems rather arbitrary which is an entirely human quality.

As to catholics, mostly a likable bunch, especially the 'agnostic' caltholics, the ones who do not believe the pontiff is god's representative here on earth. It seems very odd to me, in this day and age to underscore the sexual act as necessarily procreational with the recreational angle being a function of its primary objective and not an objective in its own right, the same as the enjoyment of food and the arts for example. The focus on sex as such an origin of sinful behaviour and to deny protection to the less educated peoples against sexually transmitted disease on the back of this seems so churlish and discriminatory - again so very modern man rather than godlike.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

BishopM

What do you think of the direct quote in my signature?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1