웃

At what age did you come to realize that God/Devil/Heaven/Hell/Angels/Demons are all man-made fairy tales?

238 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not really. It's a fairly typical assumption made by the followers of a faith. Atheism is the rejection of the idea that there is a deity. There is no other set of rules, standards or beliefs involved. None. Atheism is merely the opposite of theism - hence the term. Religion requires the existence of a deity - Atheism has none. There's no religion w/o a deity. Hence, Atheism is not a religion.

If you look at what a religion basically is - a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of life and the universe, there is no difference between whether you believe in a Creator or you don't. When someone takes that disbelief and embraces it with a kind of certainty that becomes their religion.

I can understand Agnosticism, but I've never understood how someone can say with any amount of certainty that God doesn't exist. While the followers a particular religion will say their certainty in believing in a Creator comes from faith, where does the certainty that God doesn't exist come from then, if not faith (in oneself)?

Timeline

But many people who do believe can say it with absolute certainty. How is that different?

I think they are trying to express their faith, rather than making any kind of provable statement of certainty.

Timeline

Really? Can you expand on that?

Honestly, I can't really answer for what others might say about their belief in God, but for me, I wouldn't go around stating that I know with absolute certainty that there is a God. I have faith that there is a God, but IMO, that is different from making any provable claims.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I personally would find it interesting to hear when/why people stopped believing in anything spiritual. Most people around here know where I stand on religion, so I am not about to try to convince anyone of anything in this thread. However, I do think Lord Infamous is obsessed with this topic. Maybe hoping to "help" others believe what he does.

In my daily life, in the real world, I never talk about religion. I understand (and this goes with any debatable issue with opposing viewpoints) that my view is different than the other view. I've had discussions with my cousin who is a Christian (his father has a church and is a preacher, his brother is "ordained", etc.). It ends up going nowhere and all it does is cause arguing.

I can't even post my "religious beliefs" as Stephen calls them on Facebook as all my family are Christian Conservatives. I would hate to have an aunt or cousin find out that I don't believe in what they believe in. So the religious section on FB is left blank.

So the only time I get to unleash my thoughts are on visajourney so that is why you notice some of my posts are on the topic of religion. But if you look at my post history I would definitely say only about a tenth of my posts (probably much less) are on atheism. Guessing here, but I've only started 5 or 6 (at most) threads on atheism. I must have created hundreds of other threads on pointless news stories.

I enjoy sharing my "beliefs" although I get painted as an evil missionary of atheism trying to convert believers.

I will admit I am a little obsessed with the topic but my purpose is not to convert anyone. I know there are countless other members that do not believe in God and just curious on how and why they got to that point.

I guess you could say I get a thrill up my leg poking fun at religious people. :devil:

We atheists don't have get-togethers (like churches/mosques/temples) so the thoughts are often bottled up. I can't discuss my beliefs with friends/family because it would only end up turning into uncomfortable arguments. So it is therapeutic for me to release some of my "opinions" on religion here.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you look at what a religion basically is - a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of life and the universe, there is no difference between whether you believe in a Creator or you don't. When someone takes that disbelief and embraces it with a kind of certainty that becomes their religion.

I don't think so. There are specific criteria that make certain beliefs religions, and atheism doesn't fit. Otherwise you could call any old cult that people follow a religion.

So the religious section on FB is left blank.

My religion according to Facebook is Duke Basketball. :devil:

Timeline

I personally would find it interesting to hear when/why people stopped believing in anything spiritual. Most people around here know where I stand on religion, so I am not about to try to convince anyone of anything in this thread. However, I do think Lord Infamous is obsessed with this topic. Maybe hoping to "help" others believe what he does.

I think what started me to really think about it was meeting people of all different faiths. I started to think more about why, if we were meant to follow a specific religion or hold a certain belief in order to be "saved", would God essentially doom certain populations based on geography. I'm sure people of faith have what they see as an answer to this, but that's not the only thing, it was just one of the major obstacles to faith for me, personally.

Filed: Timeline

Nope. The mere belief in a deity does not make a religion. It takes, as you say, a set of beliefs to get from believing in a deity to actually have a religion. Otherwise, there'd be a single religion out there and we know that there are many. Atheists don't have any set of beliefs - they merely reject the idea thata deity exists. That is way short of what constitutes a religion.

Filed: Timeline

I totally have my faith...I lost it for a bit when I was 12 and lost my uncle and grandfather within 2 months of each other...both unexpected, sudden deaths. But I found my way back after God made it clear He was in my life despite my anguish.

Here's a teeny little story...not the best or clearest example to some, but I feel it shows how God answers even the smallest prayers in a roundabout way.

The man, the boy and I were at an appt. We had to borrow my mother's car because we have to register the man's car in FL and haven't done so yet. My car is a two seater. Anyways, I digress. So we borrow my mom's car for the appt. We get in the car after the appt...lo and behold, it won't start. We had a zillion things to do that day, and really didn't have time to sit and wait for AAA or to call my dad for him to come out to give us a jump. We did have cables, but no one was around.

So I'm sitting in the driver's seat, all annoyed, immensely frustrated. It was kinda hot out, and I started to worry that we'd have to go back inside so my son could be comfortable. So, I say 'God please start this car somehow, I really really need your help' and I pray some more. I then go to turn the key, full of anticipation!.........

.....and nothing happens. It's dead as a doornail. hahaha. So much for that! Oh well, worth a shot, right?

As I was trying the car, a propane service truck pulls up in this pkg lot. Guy walks up to us and says 'sounds like blah blah blah, need a jump?'

He jumps us, and then gets back into his truck and drives off. So what brought him to this pkg lot in the first place? The only thing he did was get out, jump us, and leave. We were in the middle of a huge parking lot...not over by the road, where maybe he turned off cos he saw us...the hood also wasn't up so it's not like he saw we had car problems. He just got out of his truck, walked up to us, and then brought his truck over to us, jumped the car, and left. It wasn't like he was even servicing the shopping center...his truck was for a propane tank service.

The husband turns to me and says 'well, it wasn't how you expected, but God answered your prayer!'

I'm sure some will come along and make fun of this story, or chastise me for being 'silly/gullible' enough to believe it...but feeling the need to tear down someone's faith has more to do with you, than it does with me.

Edited by Lisa C

Timeline

I'm sure some will come along and make fun of this story, or chastise me for being 'silly/gullible' enough to believe it...but feeling the need to tear down someone's faith has more to do with you, than it does with me.

This is not to make fun, but why would you conclude that this man was there because God was answering your prayer? If you'd asked him, you might have found out a perfectly reasonable explanation for why he was in the parking lot.

I think that's the biggest difference between believers and non-believers - the desire to believe.

Edited by Jenn!

In '01, I had a near death experience and I realized that an after-life exists, a third eye is for real, I learned about astral-projection (firsthand) and that Athiests don't know much after all.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Not really. It's a fairly typical assumption made by the followers of a faith. Atheism is the rejection of the idea that there is a deity. There is no other set of rules, standards or beliefs involved. None. Atheism is merely the opposite of theism - hence the term. Religion requires the existence of a deity - Atheism has none. There's no religion w/o a deity. Hence, Atheism is not a religion.

I think some are getting caught up in various definitions of "religion". Would people here refer to Buddhism as a religion? As I understand it, Buddhism is not compatible with the idea of a God. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism Buddha himself did not want to be worshiped. It's all about your state of mind, ridding yourself of afflicting desires and thoughts, and it's really all about you doing within yourself. They do believe in spiritual things, but not in a higher being known as God.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord