hudons

After the oath ceremony....

10 posts in this topic

Now, I am waaaaay ahead of myself here - I still have another 2years before I can file N400 - but I would like to know as much about the process as I can ahead of time.

I am interested to know whether there are steps to take after taking the oath and becoming a citizen. I have noticed that on some people's stories they mention filing papers with their home countries. I fully appreciate that this is on a country by country basis but since I am clearly not the only british person here, does anybody know if there are papers I must file in the UK to maintain my citizenship there, or are there parties that should be informed out side the US?

Thanks for helping out a curious Brit. Who knows? I might not even be the only one wondering this! :)

Adjusting from J1

06/15/07: Met at summer camp

06/02/08: Came back to camp, started dating

01/12/09: Returned to US for internship

05/02/09: Married in NH

10/12/09: I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/09: AOS Package received in Chicago

10/21/09: Checks for I-130 and I-485 cashed

10/23/09: Received rejection notice for I-765 (Used outdated version of form, duh)

10/24/09: Received NOAs for I-130 and I-485

10/26/09: Resent updated I-765

10/28/09: RFE for I-485

11/02/09: Received RFE letter for I-864

11/05/09: Sent RFE back and received Biometrics appointment for 11/19 (I-485)

11/09/09: Received NOA for I-765 (finally!)

11/11/09: RFE received, case resumed

11/19/09: Biometrics done for I-485 (and I-765 without appointment letter!) - both touched PM

12/03/09: EAD card production ordered

12/07/09: EAD received

12/10/09: Received an e-mail saying I-765 was approved.... a little late!

12/11/09: Received interview appointment letter: January 11th, 8:40am

01/11/10: APPROVED at interview!

01/19/10: Green card received (It's not green.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Now, I am waaaaay ahead of myself here - I still have another 2years before I can file N400 - but I would like to know as much about the process as I can ahead of time.

I am interested to know whether there are steps to take after taking the oath and becoming a citizen. I have noticed that on some people's stories they mention filing papers with their home countries. I fully appreciate that this is on a country by country basis but since I am clearly not the only british person here, does anybody know if there are papers I must file in the UK to maintain my citizenship there, or are there parties that should be informed out side the US?

Thanks for helping out a curious Brit. Who knows? I might not even be the only one wondering this! :)

I've never known anyone to mention it to their home country. I'm a UK cit and didn't need to mention to Aus when I claimed my UK passport. It's not really their business (unless it's a country that doesn't allow dual (or multi) citizenship.. which the UK and Australia do).

The only thing I've mentioned to my country so far is that I live in the US (to remove myself from electoral roll), and change my name. The rest is irrelevant to Australia and to the UK. When (and if) I naturalise I won't bother with anything then either. The UK doesn't know where I live, or that I'm married (yet.. I can't afford the new passport just yet :S)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

hudons: the UK is a lovely country and you need do nothing :-)

I've never known anyone to mention it to their home country. I'm a UK cit and didn't need to mention to Aus when I claimed my UK passport. It's not really their business (unless it's a country that doesn't allow dual (or multi) citizenship.. which the UK and Australia do). Some countries, such as Germany, do require paperwork to be filed prior to obtaining a second citizenship, if one wants to keep the original citizenship as well. They've actually imprisoned someone who visited Germany using their German passport...

The only thing I've mentioned to my country so far is that I live in the US (to remove myself from electoral roll), and change my name. The rest is irrelevant to Australia and to the UK. When (and if) I naturalise I won't bother with anything then either. The UK doesn't know where I live, or that I'm married (yet.. I can't afford the new passport just yet :S) Tsk, you're not voting in the UK any more? :P Just to say, the UK might know that you now live in America. If, since living in the US, you have entered the US with your UK passport then your residency is associated with your passport.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

hudons: the UK is a lovely country and you need do nothing :-)

Each country has its own citizenship laws and some bar the retention of their citizenship if a person becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen. Before 1948, a Briton could lose his British citizenship by becoming a naturalized citizen of another country. The British Nationality Act of 1948 eliminated restrictions on holding dual citizenship. So there is absolutely no problem.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Each country has its own citizenship laws and some bar the retention of their citizenship if a person becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen. Before 1948, a Briton could lose his British citizenship by becoming a naturalized citizen of another country. The British Nationality Act of 1948 eliminated restrictions on holding dual citizenship. So there is absolutely no problem.

Other countries won't even let you enter if they see your place of birth is that country as listed by our Department of State. You find this out the hard way when you try to enter. Venezuela, Colombia, and I believe China is this way. Have to reapply for that countries ID and get a passport from that country. Not easy to do that here as most countries only have 2 or 3 consulates in the entire USA.

Now if your place of birth was not shown, would not be a problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another thing you quickly learn after getting your US citizenship certificate, you are no longer free to travel until you get your US passport, they take away your green card. Not bad today, taking less than two weeks, but when the law was passed requiring passports for Mexico and Canada, wait was anywhere from 4-6 months.

What's next? Anticipating a passport from going from state to state, so you have to declare purchases from out of state. So your state can collect sales tax. That would really cause a major delay.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Things to do: Change your status at the Social Security Office. Tell your HR at your work (if you work) so they can change your I-9 tax status and other status they may have that determines your citizenship. Passport, register to vote and tell anyone else that may have needed your valid status. Can't think off the top of my head, but there may be a few other places you'll want to change your status to citizen for...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Things to do: Change your status at the Social Security Office. Tell your HR at your work (if you work) so they can change your I-9 tax status and other status they may have that determines your citizenship. Passport, register to vote and tell anyone else that may have needed your valid status. Can't think off the top of my head, but there may be a few other places you'll want to change your status to citizen for...

Update your Driver's License or state ID - tell them you are a citizen - they will probably want to see your certificate in person :)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Update your Driver's License or state ID - tell them you are a citizen - they will probably want to see your certificate in person :)

I would say, go for your passport first. After that you can use your passport for all other things you need to do and put the certificate in a safe place. No need to use that for anything else. Losing the certificate would cost you $400+, not worth it the trouble.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say, go for your passport first. After that you can use your passport for all other things you need to do and put the certificate in a safe place. No need to use that for anything else. Losing the certificate would cost you $400+, not worth it the trouble.

Although you could go and do your SSN right away - they just take a photocopy of the document and return the original to you - which you then would send off for your passport. I agree with getting your passport as soon as possible, though and use that as proof of citizenship instead of the certificate when you need to do so. I actually got the passport card as well as the passport and carry that with me. I know that I don't have to prove citizenship upon demand, but still, as someone who had to carry the green card all the time, I feel a sense of reassurance that I have something available to prove I am now a citizen. The passport card fits in my wallet and my passport can remain safely at home until needed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.