Waitinggent

Travel On Green Card

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I understand that a green card holder can travel to Mexico and Canada without a visa. I want to plan a vacation with my wife to the Caribbean or Latin America, and wondered if anybody knows what countries she can travel to without a visa. We have already traveled to Dominican Republic, which I know that she can do even without a green card, so we are looking for another place. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I understand that a green card holder can travel to Mexico and Canada without a visa. I want to plan a vacation with my wife to the Caribbean or Latin America, and wondered if anybody knows what countries she can travel to without a visa. We have already traveled to Dominican Republic, which I know that she can do even without a green card, so we are looking for another place. Thanks.

the visa depends on your country of origin. does your country of origin need a visa to enter these countries? you can find out on your countrie's consulate/embassy website.

the GC is to come back to the US, you'll need the GC to return.

Did a quick search and found this list...which you will need to verify. Delta has a tool you can use that can help too:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Mexico: http://www.consulmexny.org/eng/visas_fmt_inm-pr.htm

Switzerland: http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...nf/visusa.html

Bahamas: http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about...irements.aspx?

Bermuda: http://www.bermuda.com/travelcenter/...egulations.php

Cayman Islands: http://www.caymanislands.ky/getting_...uirements.aspx

Jamaica: http://www.jamaicaembassy.org/visitors.htm

Aruba: http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/a...f=AR00000398EN

The Netherland Antilles: http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/a...f=AR00000397EN

Antigua & Barbuda

Dominican Republic

------------------------------------------------------

No Visa needed for any visitors whatsoever:

Maldives: http://www.visitmaldives.com.mv/

Seychelles: http://www.seychelles.com/

Turks and Caicos: http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/ (Except for former Eastern Bloc)

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

The green card only allows someone to return to America, it does not affect traveling to other countries. You must still get visas for countries that require it. Americans can travel more that many other nationalities, but even we need visas to some countries.

You have been given some valuable tools by others, use them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The green card only allows someone to return to America, it does not affect traveling to other countries. You must still get visas for countries that require it. Americans can travel more that many other nationalities, but even we need visas to some countries.

Not true. As a green card holder there are several countries (Canada, Mexico, many of the Caribbean islands) that a Russian can travel to without a visa where they would need a visa without the green card.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

This is false information. :bonk:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

the visa depends on your country of origin. does your country of origin need a visa to enter these countries? you can find out on your countrie's consulate/embassy website.

the GC is to come back to the US, you'll need the GC to return.

This is generally true BUT not for Canada, Mexico and MOST (but not all) Carribean nations. For those a gren card ONLY is required for land travel and the green card and passport for air travel. Country of citizenship makes no difference in these countries. Alla travels to Canada very often (most recently today, we returned from a vacation today) and never needs anything but a green card.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No. We just traveled from Vermont, through Canada, back into the US, through part of the US and BACK through Canada to Vermont. Basically a Great Lakes Loop. Not to mention we go there typically more than once a week (where we live is basically a south suburb of Montreal) and Alla never needs anything but a green card.

FYI, I traveled with several guns through Canada also, in case you thought you couldn't...you can.

Gary And Alla

I traveled with several guns through Canada also, in case you thought you couldn't...you can.

Handguns, long guns? Are you permitted to CCW in Canada? How does all that work?

"Are you carrying any weapons, eh?"

"I have my M-4 in the trunk, 1100 in the back, and I'm carrying my J-frame on my hip."

"Well, here in Canada, eh, we have some more stringent rules abooot guns. You have to keep them all locked up in your trunk."

So, what are the policies and restrictions, etc.?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I will agree with the comments that a Green Card will do more than just get you back in the USA. If you go to the websites of many countries, particularly in the Carribean and Mexico someone with a Russian passport would need a visa to enter but with a Green Card they can enter without the visa.

For someone who does not have a green card they can easily go to

Jamiaca,

Domincan Republic,

Cuba (not so easy for us)

Barbados,

Grenada,

Costa Rica

With a Green Card you can add,

the Bahamas,

Mexico,

Canada,

Most anyplace in the Caribbean,

Some South American coutries are now possible without a green card and even more with one. I have not done that or researched it enough to list them however.

I think with most of Europe the Green Card would be of little help and they would still need the Schengen visa.

The Delta site mentioned above is very good.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

Handguns, long guns? Are you permitted to CCW in Canada? How does all that work?

"I have my M-4 in the trunk, 1100 in the back, and I'm carrying my J-frame on my hip."

"Well, here in Canada, eh, we have some more stringent rules abooot guns. You have to keep them all locked up in your trunk."

NO to handguns or semi-autos of any type for non-citizens or residents. 3 M12 Winchesters and a M42 (my skeet set) were no problem. You file ahead of time for a transport document, they inspect the guns at POE and seal the case.

You can also get a posession permit for permitted firearms which I have since I used to live in Montreal and I compete in skeet shooting there. The guns have to be registered (that may go away soon) and it is only valid for the guns on the permit, but I am allowed to use them for any lawful purpose. It is a 5 year permit. I show my permit, they inspect the guns and check the seril numbers and away you go.

I shot in a skeet competition in Northern Wisconsin during my trip.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

While traveling they must be unloaded and encased and out of reach (trunk). I did not bring ammunition but I have on other occasions and they never even asked about that. NO, you cannot conceal and carry.

There is an abundance of skeet clubs around Montreal, more than you would find in a typical American city of the same size...much more really. Many Canadians shoot at my club here in Vermont. They carry their firearms home with them back and forth over the border. Many Americans shoot at the clubs in Canada, and Canada is (of course) a well known hunting destination for Americans. They DO bring guns with them.

Canadians are gun nuts as much as Americans, actually. All that BS from citified Canadians notwithstanding. Their failed registration program (which most people ignore and may be ended soon) illustrates that the per capita ownership of firearms in Canada is as high as in the USA. The .303 British has been for many years the number 1 popular cartidge there, for the same reason the .30-06 is popular here...it is the former military cartridge for decades and it works to kill every species of animal that wanders Canada.

(FYI, it is Canadians that CLUB to death helpless baby seals, it is not because they don't have guns, it is a more efficient way to kill an animal for fur)

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I will agree with the comments that a Green Card will do more than just get you back in the USA. If you go to the websites of many countries, particularly in the Carribean and Mexico someone with a Russian passport would need a visa to enter but with a Green Card they can enter without the visa.

For someone who does not have a green card they can easily go to

Jamiaca,

Domincan Republic,

Cuba (not so easy for us)

Barbados,

Grenada,

Costa Rica

With a Green Card you can add,

the Bahamas,

Mexico,

Canada,

Most anyplace in the Caribbean,

Some South American coutries are now possible without a green card and even more with one. I have not done that or researched it enough to list them however.

I think with most of Europe the Green Card would be of little help and they would still need the Schengen visa.

The Delta site mentioned above is very good.

FYI there are flights every day from Montreal (and Toronto) to Havana and the Cubans will put your passport stamp on a separate card and put it in your passport. Tickets to Montreal and Toronto are EASY for us to get.

For Eurpoe the Green card is a HUGE help, but yes they still need a visa. You can usually get them while you wait at an EU consulate. Check with consulate's hours and rules. They will issue one to your FSU wife with her green card and the minimal requirements they have for all countries that require a visa. You should have no trouble getting one if you want it.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Anybody been to Turks and Caicos on a Green Card? I have found a couple of good websites, which make clear many Caribbean countries, but my preference is to go to Turks and Caicos which seems unclear. There seems to be no visa required except for citizens of the former Eastern Block. It isn't very specific whether a Green Card will get an eastern european into Turks and Caicos.

NO to handguns or semi-autos of any type for non-citizens or residents.

Sporting purposes only, eh?

Canadians are gun nuts as much as Americans, actually. All that BS from citified Canadians notwithstanding.

Most of the Canucks I've talked to have assured me of this, city folks aside, and have even related their ownership to freedom much in the same way our 2A works here. "We have guns too. That's why we're free. There are a lot more guns in Canada than the government knows aboooot."

The .303 British has been for many years the number 1 popular cartidge there, for the same reason the .30-06 is popular here...it is the former military cartridge for decades and it works to kill every species of animal that wanders Canada.

I'd argue the reasoning. Sure it's popular for sporting purposes.... but it's also their "freedom" cartridge. Notice how they've never let that one go?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.