Jamie and Skye

How do I let my country know I'm married

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a little confused...again, I entered the U.S on a K-1 visa from Australia and we got married a week ago, I'm waiting on the marriage cert, so we can begin the Change of Statue, (which looks a little over confusing but I'm still reading though the forms)

My Question is do I need to and how do I let Australia know I'm married, I'm guessing I would need a new passport as it doesn't make sense to have my maiden name on the passport and my Green Card (once approved) in my Married name.

I'm only assuming my married name will be on the Green Card?

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a little confused...again, I entered the U.S on a K-1 visa from Australia and we got married a week ago, I'm waiting on the marriage cert, so we can begin the Change of Statue, (which looks a little over confusing but I'm still reading though the forms)

My Question is do I need to and how do I let Australia know I'm married, I'm guessing I would need a new passport as it doesn't make sense to have my maiden name on the passport and my Green Card (once approved) in my Married name.

Check with your Embassy they will know the answer

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

G'day G'day,

I went through the same thing. I had to wait to get our marriage certificate and then you need to change your name with Births, Deaths & Marriages in your state, mine was the ACT. If I remember right it didn't take too long, and they send back your marriage certificate along with your name change document. You'll be using this document for most of your USCIS filing so hang on to it.

Next time I went home I changed my name on my passport and my ACT drivers license and medicare, and the bank etc. All required that name change document from BD&M.

Good luck and welcome to the US :-)

Bec

Hi,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Skye I have a thread just for you :) Here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/248400-australian-passport-name-change-process/

Here's the AOS thread too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

These should make your life a LOT easier :)

First DO NOT try and change your details in Aus until you have filed AOS, OR you will have to wait to file AOS till you get the docs back. You will need to send off your original birth certificate (depends on your state) and you might need it for AOS so best to wait. AOS does NOT require you to change your name in your home country before filing. I only just completed my name change in the last two months and I filed AOS back in April.

You also DO NOT have to report your name change if you don't want to, but I did :) Hope my threads helps you :D

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "Regional - Australia" as this isn't an AOS qn **

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Skye I have a thread just for you :) Here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/248400-australian-passport-name-change-process/

Here's the AOS thread too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

These should make your life a LOT easier :)

First DO NOT try and change your details in Aus until you have filed AOS, OR you will have to wait to file AOS till you get the docs back. You will need to send off your original birth certificate (depends on your state) and you might need it for AOS so best to wait. AOS does NOT require you to change your name in your home country before filing. I only just completed my name change in the last two months and I filed AOS back in April.

You also DO NOT have to report your name change if you don't want to, but I did :) Hope my threads helps you :D

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "Regional - Australia" as this isn't an AOS qn **

Thank you Vanessa, you always have the answers I'm looking for, I don't know what I would do with out you (research myself but that might end in tears) and I love the amount of info you give, thanks :)

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you Vanessa, you always have the answers I'm looking for, I don't know what I would do with out you (research myself but that might end in tears) and I love the amount of info you give, thanks :)

I also want to do this I am from NSW and rang Embassy in Atlanta and he said if I want the free one to wait 12 months then passport is free. But if needed urgently then yes change of name has to be done through BDM back home and apply now. AM going to wait as wont be going back home for a while.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Hey....I got married just over a week ago too....Congrats and Cheers...

I was thinking the same thing and asked an official here who said 'just make sure you carry a copy of your wedding certificate with your maiden name passport and make sure your ticket is in your maiden name (name on passport) if you travel anywhere'. Yes cos your visa will be in your married name stuck in your maiden name passport...but THATS OK....not even questioned they told me....but if it is you need to carry your wedding cert and show them so they can see the link.....

my SSN is in my new married name too....

I had to prove who I was the other day and just showed my aussie drivers licence and wedding cert and all was fine....

Oh, by the way, Aussie Births Deaths and Marriages say that its easier to change your name by the old depoll way than to go through the right process of providing heaps of proof......I did that to go back to my maiden name from a previous marriage....i think it was going to work out quicker as it only took a week rather than the 21 days or something like that..to receive a new Birth Cert....so....when you go to do the name change thing....check that way out too....my sister in law did that too after her and my brother married in PNG....something about not recognising the celebant or some crazy rubbish....

ummmmm.....FREE???? wots this???? no pay for passport next year???? hows this work?

I also want to do this I am from NSW and rang Embassy in Atlanta and he said if I want the free one to wait 12 months then passport is free. But if needed urgently then yes change of name has to be done through BDM back home and apply now. AM going to wait as wont be going back home for a while.

Barb,

wots this? something is free???? please explain????

lyndal

Timeline

Hey....I got married just over a week ago too....Congrats and Cheers...

I was thinking the same thing and asked an official here who said 'just make sure you carry a copy of your wedding certificate with your maiden name passport and make sure your ticket is in your maiden name (name on passport) if you travel anywhere'. Yes cos your visa will be in your married name stuck in your maiden name passport...but THATS OK....not even questioned they told me....but if it is you need to carry your wedding cert and show them so they can see the link.....

my SSN is in my new married name too....

I had to prove who I was the other day and just showed my aussie drivers licence and wedding cert and all was fine....

Oh, by the way, Aussie Births Deaths and Marriages say that its easier to change your name by the old depoll way than to go through the right process of providing heaps of proof......I did that to go back to my maiden name from a previous marriage....i think it was going to work out quicker as it only took a week rather than the 21 days or something like that..to receive a new Birth Cert....so....when you go to do the name change thing....check that way out too....my sister in law did that too after her and my brother married in PNG....something about not recognising the celebant or some crazy rubbish....

ummmmm.....FREE???? wots this???? no pay for passport next year???? hows this work?

Barb,

wots this? something is free???? please explain????

lyndal

Yeah Lyndal I rang OZ embassy and asked about changing name and he asked me when my passport expired and I said 2016 and he said cool and if I wait a year to get my passport with my married name on it is is free. Going to save my cash like I haven't spent enough already lol

Edited by barbarajlw

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

I haven't changed my name yet, because I want to get the whole visa process out of the way first and they want the original birth certificate - which I need for the visa process. After I'm situated in the US next year, I'll be applying for a name change with NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. I don't plan to get a new passport until my current one is 12 months from expiration, which doesn't happen till mid 2015. Gotta save those pennies.

You'll have to verify this, because this is second hand knowledge, but I believe that if you apply for a new passport within 12 months of getting married, you can get it for free (with your new name) of course this only works if you've changed your name with the Registry of Births etc. in your state if married in the US and not in AUstralia. However, the big caveat is that they'll only issue it to the expiry date of your current passport... eg. if your current passport expires in 2015 like mine, they will only replace it with another passport that expires in 2015, not later. I believe that's how it works? Anyone care to second that or dispute?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.