rodceasar

US Embassy Nairobi Interview Experience

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello All,

I just want to say thank you all for your support through this process and my wife has been granted her visa and is in the Washington, DC Metro Area with me now! We are very grateful to have made it through. My wife's interview experience was frustrating to say the least. Here it goes:

Interview was scheduled for Oct. 5th at 7:30 am. Apparently, the Embassy has interviewees come on the assigned date to submit any necessary paperwork, documents, ID etc. and rescheduleds you to return the following day for the actual interview. I was at the embassy from 6 am until about 3:30 pm on the 5th.

We returned to the Emabassy of Oct. 6th for the interview about 5:30 am and were about # 20 in line. After alot of waiting interviews began about 10 am. After awhile, my wife was called to the window. The guards there were nice and allowed me to enter the Embassy for her interview. I think my US Govt work badge helped in getting in to attend. I accompanied my wife to the window and the CO just looked at me. My wife stated that this is my husband and she replied "I don't need him.. Sit down". So, I sat back down. She asked my wife a few questions about me. She then asked my wife, how much money do I earn. My wife gave the correct figure and the CO told her she was wrong. My wife again indicated that it is indeed correct and the CO again said, it was not. Finally after going back and forth on this a few more times, the CO said, OK, you were right. Go figure.

Next, she asked my wife why I don't pay taxes. Of course, my wife had no idea what she was talking about but stated that my husband pays all of his bills including a mortgage and supports his son. She then told my wife "You don't know what you are talking about". The CO then told my wife to get me. I approached the window a bit surprised since she told me to sit down previously. She said "You don't pay taxes"! I said, Ma'am, I work as a US govt contractor, possess a Secret Security Clearance which is hard to obtain and I pay my taxes. I sent NVC 6 months of pay stubs showing taxes being taken out so was wondering why would she ask this and where is this info coming from. She should know that as you CANNOT get cleared with debt of any kind, especially to the IRS. I think that pissed her off as well since she has to have known this already. She then asked, why didn't you pay taxes in 1997, I believe. I said that I worked as an independent contractor at this time and was in grad school. I filed taxes, owed money and paid it off over the course of a couple of years. This really threw a monkey wrench in my game for I was wondering why she would ask me this line of questions, especially regarding resolved debt from 13 years ago which was resolved 11 years ago when I was 23 yrs old.

The CO seemed very annoyed and told me us to sit down. So, we sat and we sat and we sat. I then began over hearing some of the comments made to others being interviewed by many of the CO's and was a bit appauled. One CO asked a guy, "So you came ot the US to have sex". He said, "No, I didn't". The CO said, yes you did. This went on for some time. I am not sure whether he was granted the visa but probably was sent back for additional evidence a smany had. This is really disheartening since this Embassy services (14) countires and many have traveled extremely far.

There were numerous stories that I can tell but it would take too long. It hit about 11:30 am and my wife was called to a different window and given a blue slip that have a "F" written on it and was told to come back at 2pm now. Noone else was given this and others we talked to were approved without incident in less than 10 minutes. The women who told us to come back did ask, how she would like to get her visa, mail or pick up, if approved. That was a good and bad sign all around.

Now, my wife and I are both really concerned. I was still offended by the question especially about not paying taxes since I feel that I contribute to the health, welfare and life of 1/4 of America due to my income which is very good and that most are unemployed and receiving federal and state assistance just to survive. Also, we were never asked for any evidence of any sort. We both felt abused and unfairly treated.

Now, it's nearing 1 pm and I am about to go postal due to the experience and was about to ask to speak with a supervisor for the mistreatment in addition to the cots I've incurred for everything including the medical and flying there to attend the interview and taking time off unpaid from my work.

At 3 pm, My wife was again called to the window. I approached along side her. Another CO, seemed to be a Kenyan American indicated that he was going to interview my wife then he would interview me after. We were happier now because we had so much to say and I had alot on my chest to let out. She was in the closed in room for about an hour. I thought that she would come out crying due to the interrogation. However, she did not.

The CO called me to the window as my wife walked out of the room and took her seat. He asked me many of the questions she was asked and compared my responses to what she had stated. I also presented my govt babdge and he photocopied it. He then stated that we are all set and she will get her visa. I know that, if i were not present for her interview, it would have definitely been denied!

While waiting, I asked my wife, what happended. My wife is one smart and brave cookie for she layed it all out systematically from beginning to end to the CO. We had a bag full of evidence so we were never worried there. The CO asked her for all of her evidence and systematically went through every communication, pictures, Skype chat/call logs, email, Facebook pictures, wedding pic's, misc pic's from my visits, Western Union receipts sent from March of 2009 to present on a bi-weekly basis, my old passport with (4) visa stamps to Uganda and (1) to Thailand where I mailed her gifts, gifts such as clothes and jewelry and much more.

After her interview, he mentioned that he could see that this was a bonafide relationship and marriage to her. This CO was a blessing for he was NOTHING like the rude lady we intially experienced. He appeared to be higher up than she was. As they were preparing the visa, that mean CO lady came to the window and said that we're lucky because most visa's are not approved the first time around which is probably true but so what? What does that have to do with me and my case? I was happy to get the visa and took her comment with a grain of salt due to the insults thrown our way earlier. She then says that there is one problem. The police certificate is now expried and she would have to get a new one. I said, that's incredible. My wife has already left Uganda for the 1st time in her life to travel for a day to Nairobi for this and now you want to send us back there and there's no way i can stay any longer due to work and her awating the PC. It's been sitting at NVC forever and now this? After looking again, she says, ok, you still have 28 days on it since it's not 6 months yet. Again, I was happy but pissed since it appeared that she wanted to sabotage our chances of walking out with the visa, by all means necessary.

I am sure that my wife can add another (20 pages of our experience dealing wiht the Embassy, however we are happy and grateful to be together at last and I have moved on from that experience and now trying get my mind right from this ordeal and the distance away from my wife for a year plus. It took some time before I was even able to read VJ responses or comment for i know everyone's experience can be different due to the consulate office.

This experience has been a textbook "critical incident", however being a student of psychology I know that experiences like these help to create bonds for life and we love each other more and more everyday....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

WOW......The nerve of that CO I believe that the system needs to be re-evaluated I cant believe they are treating people like "nothing" and asking such horrible irrelevant questions...But needless to say you made it through and congrats for that!!!! :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congrats. :thumbs: She is here that is all that matters

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Timeline

Wow!! That's crazy - I wonder what got under her skin! Sorry about the experience, but congrats on getting the visa! :)

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Oh my! That is really scary! I'm still waiting for my K-1 petition to be processed. I have a nasty temper and don't know what I would say if I got such a rude person conducting the interview. I pray that I will not get such a "monster" and hope all will go well for me. Congratulations to both of you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
Interview was scheduled for Oct. 5th at 7:30 am. Apparently, the Embassy has interviewees come on the assigned date to submit any necessary paperwork, documents, ID etc. and rescheduleds you to return the following day for the actual interview. I was at the embassy from 6 am until about 3:30 pm on the 5th.

Hmmm, so ours was not the only application that got some kind of run-around from them on the 5th! :) If you saw a 5-foot-nothing Ugandan that looks like the one in our profile picture... :) There was one lady who was being mean and asking questions that aren't even supposed to be factors for them to consider, but the other CO told her to stick to the script. ;) Glad to hear you got the approval!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you all for the love and am happy to be on the other side of life w/ my wife and soulmate! I'm about to make a t-shirt stating "We Survived the U.S. Embassy Nairobi"...

funny about the t-shirt

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hello All,

I just want to say thank you all for your support through this process and my wife has been granted her visa and is in the Washington, DC Metro Area with me now! We are very grateful to have made it through. My wife's interview experience was frustrating to say the least. Here it goes:

We returned to the Emabassy of Oct. 6th for the interview about 5:30 am and were about # 20 in line. After alot of waiting interviews began about 10 am. After awhile, my wife was called to the window. The guards there were nice and allowed me to enter the Embassy for her interview. I think my US Govt work badge helped in getting in to attend. I accompanied my wife to the window and the CO just looked at me. My wife stated that this is my husband and she replied "I don't need him.. Sit down". So, I sat back down. She asked my wife a few questions about me. She then asked my wife, how much money do I earn. My wife gave the correct figure and the CO told her she was wrong. My wife again indicated that it is indeed correct and the CO again said, it was not. Finally after going back and forth on this a few more times, the CO said, OK, you were right. Go figure.

Next, she asked my wife why I don't pay taxes. Of course, my wife had no idea what she was talking about but stated that my husband pays all of his bills including a mortgage and supports his son. She then told my wife "You don't know what you are talking about". The CO then told my wife to get me. I approached the window a bit surprised since she told me to sit down previously. She said "You don't pay taxes"! I said, Ma'am, I work as a US govt contractor, possess a Secret Security Clearance which is hard to obtain and I pay my taxes. I sent NVC 6 months of pay stubs showing taxes being taken out so was wondering why would she ask this and where is this info coming from. She should know that as you CANNOT get cleared with debt of any kind, especially to the IRS. I think that pissed her off as well since she has to have known this already. She then asked, why didn't you pay taxes in 1997, I believe. I said that I worked as an independent contractor at this time and was in grad school. I filed taxes, owed money and paid it off over the course of a couple of years. This really threw a monkey wrench in my game for I was wondering why she would ask me this line of questions, especially regarding resolved debt from 13 years ago which was resolved 11 years ago when I was 23 yrs old.

The CO seemed very annoyed and told me us to sit down. So, we sat and we sat and we sat. I then began over hearing some of the comments made to others being interviewed by many of the CO's and was a bit appauled. One CO asked a guy, "So you came ot the US to have sex". He said, "No, I didn't". The CO said, yes you did. This went on for some time. I am not sure whether he was granted the visa but probably was sent back for additional evidence a smany had. This is really disheartening since this Embassy services (14) countires and many have traveled extremely far.

There were numerous stories that I can tell but it would take too long. It hit about 11:30 am and my wife was called to a different window and given a blue slip that have a "F" written on it and was told to come back at 2pm now. Noone else was given this and others we talked to were approved without incident in less than 10 minutes. The women who told us to come back did ask, how she would like to get her visa, mail or pick up, if approved. That was a good and bad sign all around.

Now, my wife and I are both really concerned. I was still offended by the question especially about not paying taxes since I feel that I contribute to the health, welfare and life of 1/4 of America due to my income which is very good and that most are unemployed and receiving federal and state assistance just to survive. Also, we were never asked for any evidence of any sort. We both felt abused and unfairly treated.

Now, it's nearing 1 pm and I am about to go postal due to the experience and was about to ask to speak with a supervisor for the mistreatment in addition to the cots I've incurred for everything including the medical and flying there to attend the interview and taking time off unpaid from my work.

At 3 pm, My wife was again called to the window. I approached along side her. Another CO, seemed to be a Kenyan American indicated that he was going to interview my wife then he would interview me after. We were happier now because we had so much to say and I had alot on my chest to let out. She was in the closed in room for about an hour. I thought that she would come out crying due to the interrogation. However, she did not.

The CO called me to the window as my wife walked out of the room and took her seat. He asked me many of the questions she was asked and compared my responses to what she had stated. I also presented my govt babdge and he photocopied it. He then stated that we are all set and she will get her visa. I know that, if i were not present for her interview, it would have definitely been denied!

While waiting, I asked my wife, what happended. My wife is one smart and brave cookie for she layed it all out systematically from beginning to end to the CO. We had a bag full of evidence so we were never worried there. The CO asked her for all of her evidence and systematically went through every communication, pictures, Skype chat/call logs, email, Facebook pictures, wedding pic's, misc pic's from my visits, Western Union receipts sent from March of 2009 to present on a bi-weekly basis, my old passport with (4) visa stamps to Uganda and (1) to Thailand where I mailed her gifts, gifts such as clothes and jewelry and much more.

After her interview, he mentioned that he could see that this was a bonafide relationship and marriage to her. This CO was a blessing for he was NOTHING like the rude lady we intially experienced. He appeared to be higher up than she was. As they were preparing the visa, that mean CO lady came to the window and said that we're lucky because most visa's are not approved the first time around which is probably true but so what? What does that have to do with me and my case? I was happy to get the visa and took her comment with a grain of salt due to the insults thrown our way earlier. She then says that there is one problem. The police certificate is now expried and she would have to get a new one. I said, that's incredible. My wife has already left Uganda for the 1st time in her life to travel for a day to Nairobi for this and now you want to send us back there and there's no way i can stay any longer due to work and her awating the PC. It's been sitting at NVC forever and now this? After looking again, she says, ok, you still have 28 days on it since it's not 6 months yet. Again, I was happy but pissed since it appeared that she wanted to sabotage our chances of walking out with the visa, by all means necessary.

I am sure that my wife can add another (20 pages of our experience dealing wiht the Embassy, however we are happy and grateful to be together at last and I have moved on from that experience and now trying get my mind right from this ordeal and the distance away from my wife for a year plus. It took some time before I was even able to read VJ responses or comment for i know everyone's experience can be different due to the consulate office.

This experience has been a textbook "critical incident", however being a student of psychology I know that experiences like these help to create bonds for life and we love each other more and more everyday....

WOW!! I just read this as my husband will go through the interview in Cameroon and was looking for information on what to expect. thanks for sharing your experiences.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

My wife is Kenyan and she will have to face these rude, crude, CO's at the Nairobi embassy. I am horrified at the treatment after reading these posts.

Can anyone share recent experiences at the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi?

Check out our other thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/160251-nairobi-embassy-thread/

Everyone's experience varies. Our CO was nice as could be and my (now) husband's visa was approved 5 minutes after the interview began.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

My wife is Kenyan and she will have to face these rude, crude, CO's at the Nairobi embassy. I am horrified at the treatment after reading these posts.

Can anyone share recent experiences at the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi?

I had my interview at the U.S. Embassy Nairobi in August 2010.

Not all the CO's are bad, the one who interviewed me was really nice.

Your wife should be confident and have evidence to support her case. Sometimes we think the CO's are rude coz they are harsh. They want to be sure and see the confident in someone.

Wish you the best.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

My wife had her interview this week, she's waiting for her passport. We filed her CR 1 I-130 in March this year. It's been lot's of 'hurry-up-and-wait' kind of a process. From filing to Chicago lockbox and the case being transferred to Potomac. To trying to expedite the case and the request being denied. It's been a roller coaster of emotions but we are happy it's over. The only issue she had was they asked her for my IRS Transcripts. The Kenyan who looks over documents before the interview did but the American was able to override on the issue.

Filed I-130 : 11 Mar 2016

I-130 Priority date : 15 Mar 2016

Approved: 03 Jun 2016

Case Complete: 24 Aug 2016

Interview date assigned: 29 Sep 2016

Interview: Nov 2016

https://guriixusjourney.wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.