DEDixon

Going to buy another house soon and looking

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

for a white Realtor, anything wrong with it?

No. Just make sure you also have a white mortgage broker, a white lawyer, a white title company agent, and most importantly that the seller of your new home is white.

MICHAEL-JACKSON-WHITE-POWER.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

looking for a house got me thinking about this lately. when i worked in SF i noticed my gay manager had a yellow pages directory on his desk that had businesses which were owned by gay people advertising. i also know the spanish speaking community has a yellow pages though the one i saw wasn't in spanish, but again, it was filled with businesses that were owned by central and south americans. my wife is filipino and i see a lot of the same mentality.

naturally, when thinking about a Realtor, i had to ask myself if i should support my own community.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

No. Just make sure you also have a white mortgage broker, a white lawyer, a white title company agent, and most importantly that the seller of your new home is white.

whatever the seller of my new house is wouldn't matter to me. not sure why this would be most important since i have no control over this part of buying a house.

looking for a house got me thinking about this lately. when i worked in SF i noticed my gay manager had a yellow pages directory on his desk that had businesses which were owned by gay people advertising. i also know the spanish speaking community has a yellow pages though the one i saw wasn't in spanish, but again, it was filled with businesses that were owned by central and south americans. my wife is filipino and i see a lot of the same mentality.

naturally, when thinking about a Realtor, i had to ask myself if i should support my own community.

The difference is that white realtors are the majority (I'm...guessing) and so this wouldn't really help you narrow down the selection. It might make sense to have a realtor who shared something of a similar background with you, or understood your culture, or understood your family situation. (So, if you were disabled, you might want a realtor who was disabled or had disabled family so they would already have some knowledge of what you might require in a house to make it accessible.) An immigrant might benefit from an immigrant realtor because the realtor would be less likely to assume the buyer knew certain things about mortgages, credit, etc.

As far as supporting your community goes...sometimes (often?) it goes too far. But if it was supporting newer businesses or poorer businesses, then it would make sense. Humans do tend to be wary of new/different things, so it would maybe make sense if those without that reaction were the first to try out a new business.

Timeline

If you believe that a white realtor is better than any other ethnic group realtor then ...yes

If you believe all other ethnic group realtors are inferior ...yes

This is baiting.

I agree

They are supporting their own minority groups not their community and will often opt for someone with less experience or poor practices to support groups why would you do the same.

While I might agree to some degree that supporting your own ethnic group is ok it is not ok to do so with the mind set that any other ethnic group is of inferior skill or expertise due to their belonginh to another ethnic group.

Timeline
If you believe that a white realtor is better than any other ethnic group realtor then ...yes

If you believe all other ethnic group realtors are inferior ...yes

They are supporting their own minority groups not their community and will often opt for someone with less experience or poor practices to support groups why would you do the same.

While I might agree to some degree that supporting your own ethnic group is ok it is not ok to do so with the mind set that any other ethnic group is of inferior skill or expertise due to their belonginh to another ethnic group.

you surely are running wild with this one. i never implied that a minority had inferior skills. why would you bring something into this thread that isn't part of it? on this one, the SHAME is on YOU!!!! again, i NEVER said or implied anything about inferior skills!!!!

amazing, then you go on with this BS. SHAME ON YOU!!!! just so you know, i don't think minority realtors are any less skilled that white realtors. competent Realtors are among all ethnicity groups. my question was purely a question about support.

Filed: Timeline

Not knowing what kind of person you are, it's hard to say. You should pick a realtor who "gets" you. There may very well be a lot of overlap between the universe of available realtors who "get" you and the universe of available realtors who are white. If that is the case, sure - go for it.

For me, personally - my last realtor (when I bought my current home in 2003) was Vietnamese immigrant who used to work IT at AT&T and got laid off and ended up doing a career change. He "got" me. I wasted some time before finding him with a white female realtor who had spent the last few decades of her life at home raising her kids. She was a nice lady and we still say hi when we run into each other at the Pathmark, but she didn't really "get" me.

In other words, it depends on who you are, what you value and who is available in your area.

Timeline

The difference is that white realtors are the majority (I'm...guessing) and so this wouldn't really help you narrow down the selection. It might make sense to have a realtor who shared something of a similar background with you, or understood your culture, or understood your family situation. (So, if you were disabled, you might want a realtor who was disabled or had disabled family so they would already have some knowledge of what you might require in a house to make it accessible.) An immigrant might benefit from an immigrant realtor because the realtor would be less likely to assume the buyer knew certain things about mortgages, credit, etc.

As far as supporting your community goes...sometimes (often?) it goes too far. But if it was supporting newer businesses or poorer businesses, then it would make sense. Humans do tend to be wary of new/different things, so it would maybe make sense if those without that reaction were the first to try out a new business.

i can see why a recent immigrant might aim for someone familiar.

i can also understand a handicapped buyer seeking a handicapped realtor, because there is a chance a handicapped realtor would know more about accessibility.

i can't see why someone who isn't white and who was born in the US would seek to narrow business to their own ethnicity. i see them doing it (even gay people) so i wondered aloud, should i? lately i've seen blatant in your face "support me, i'm the same as you" type of promotion so i got to thinking.

Timeline

Not knowing what kind of person you are, it's hard to say. You should pick a realtor who "gets" you. There may very well be a lot of overlap between the universe of available realtors who "get" you and the universe of available realtors who are white. If that is the case, sure - go for it.

For me, personally - my last realtor (when I bought my current home in 2003) was Vietnamese immigrant who used to work IT at AT&T and got laid off and ended up doing a career change. He "got" me. I wasted some time before finding him with a white female realtor who had spent the last few decades of her life at home raising her kids. She was a nice lady and we still say hi when we run into each other at the Pathmark, but she didn't really "get" me.

In other words, it depends on who you are, what you value and who is available in your area.

this makes sense to me. i'm actually looking for someone who isn't talking to me like they are promoting themselves.

my 2 last realtors, 1 was filipina and the other brizilian. both were female. 1 was hot and the other one not so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The only thing wrong with it is that you might be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of expertise. I don't judge on sex, race or whatever, I judge on my feelings of their competence, and their experience etc.

Our realtor sucked... he has awful English skills (yes this matters and he was Anglo), he would email important people that he didn't know on a personal level (like our appraiser and investor) Youtube videos he found funny, he would alter our offer even after being told EXPLICITLY what we wanted, and once the sale was complete, he emailed ME because he forgot to photocopy the earnest cheque and he wouldn't get paid unless he showed that copy. This is just a small intro to his... moronic escapades. He was a lovely guy, but completely useless. The ONLY reason we used him is because the people we were buying the house from signed an exclusivity deal... we will be speaking to his bosses and the company he sold for. He definitely shouldn't be a realtor, he slowed us down a great deal.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony