cguytx

update and conversation with officer from USCIS by phone today

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been one of the people unable to track our K3 spousal visa since receiving the NOA1 in July so I have been calling and enduring the hold times to get a status updates from an immigration officer every week. Most of the time the officer just finds my case and assures me that it is processing but today I spoke with a very helpful officer who has been through the process himself and he gave a lot more information and insight into what is going on.

The office I spoke with today says my file was last worked July 24 and that everything looked fine and that I should see an approval soon. I asked him about the IMBRA and RFE's. He advised that although that was still at the descretion of the officer processing the petition that the new forms were cutting a lot of those out and that he is starting to see the petitions a lot sooner now. He said unless an officer found an error he said I should see an approval soon. He also mentioned that the regular K1 fiance petitions are more closely monitored for fraud than if the petition is used for spouses already married as long as documentation is provided because the USCIS defers the security checks to the embassy level where the petition lands after the NVC.

The officer told me when I call for status updates, to always tell the customer rep that answers that you want to talk to an immigration officer, he said and officer has access to more information and your case and is in a better position to help you with information.

He was very familiar with the embassy in Manila and told me his own wife immigrated from there. He also advised me that as long as I follow the instructions through the rest of the process that is was reasonable to expect to have the wife here for Christmas.

He was explaining that several years ago, before President Bush signed legislation into law it had taken some petitioners up to 7 years to process their visas and that the process has been streamlined in recent years. Anyone else heard of this?

When I asked why I am unable to track the petition online or via the automated system on phone he said it must be a data entry error to get the receipt into the system but that it would in no way hold up the process, that the petition is moving forward as it should. At least I have my first touch date ha...July 24th

I know a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part but it does give me a bit of hope that the process is moving forward for us. I just wanted to share my conversation with this officer with you all and get your feedback on it.

I say a small prayer when I check my mail everyday ha.

04/25/2006 l married Cebu Philippines

11/28/2006 l Interview US Embassy Manila

12/15/2006 l Received k3 VISA

12/27/2006 l POE Detroit USA - Home!!!

AOS - Dallas DORA

07/17/2007 l AOS Interview - accepted into DORA 90 day program

09/06/2007 l Biometrics Appointment Dallas Texas

10/15/2007 l AOS Approved - received "Welcome to the United States" Letter

10/23/2007 l Received Greencard "Permanent Resident Card"

next: lift greencard 2yr condition June/2009 / goal: US Citizenship - 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck for some news soon.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HI CYBERNUTGUY

Thanks for sharing your talk with the immigrating officer it really eased our heart. I just want to ask u that it is easy access to talk with the immigration officer becoz when last time i called the automated machine speaks and it tells the same message as displayed on online status pls response with ur reply thanks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey thanks for the detailed description of your phone conversation, it encouraged me this morning!

I also have my wife in the Philippines and at time I miss her so much I feel like I cant take it anymore.

Your thoughts and experience with the phone call reminded me that there are alot more things going on in the background that we don't know are happeneding than are refelcted on the web site.

My status hasn't changed on the web site since July 3rd, and I must have checked it a thousand times since then.

The part about the immigration officer saying that you will have your finace here by Christmans was also an encouragement because I am hoping to be able to spend Christmas with my Melinda. It will be very hard to go through the Holidays without her.

Anyway, it was to hear from someone else who is struggling with the wait, thanks for the post.

Rob and Melinda

I-129F

Filed New I-129F form with IMBRA June 19, 2006

NOA 1 June 26, 2006

Touched July 3, 2006

I-129F Approved by E mail August 21, 2006, Just 63 Days

NOA 2 for I-129F Received in the Mail August 26th, 2006

I-129F at NVC

Case Number assigned at NVC August 29, 2006 MNL2006XXXXXXXXX

NVC sends the I-129F to the Manila Embassy August 29th, 2006

Embassy in Manila Receives I-129F August 31st, 2006

Packet 4 Received by Melinda from Manila Embassy October 1, 2006

Interview at Us Embassy Manila, October 18, 2006

Visa Approved! Interview Completed.

Visa Delivered by DELBROS October 28th, 2006

October 30, 2006 Arrived back in LAX with Melinda, were going to Disneyland!!!

November 6th, 2006, Melinda and I are back home in Winslow Arizona loving Life!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi faal,

I have a homemade script I follow when calling I have it about memorized but my average hold times are anywhere from 30minutes to an hour.

US DEPT of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services

PO BOX 7218

427 S. Lasalle 3rd Floor

Chicago IL, 60680-7218

Customer Service Telephone: 1-800-375-5283

*call early in the day / they recommend Wed,Thur & Fridays

when you get automated system

1 – for English

3- for other info and to talk to a rep

Talk to rep / answer a few standard questions and ask to speak to immigrations officer

endure the USCIS on hold music - I sometimes put it on speaker phone and take a shower. ;-)

This is just my process for checking my status since I am unable to get my status using my MSC receipt number through the automated system and online access.

good luck!

HI CYBERNUTGUY

Thanks for sharing your talk with the immigrating officer it really eased our heart. I just want to ask u that it is easy access to talk with the immigration officer becoz when last time i called the automated machine speaks and it tells the same message as displayed on online status pls response with ur reply thanks

Rob, I know exactly how you feel, the waiting is not fun and very hard on the both of us.

hang in there, we will get there eventually!

Hey thanks for the detailed description of your phone conversation, it encouraged me this morning!

I also have my wife in the Philippines and at time I miss her so much I feel like I cant take it anymore.

Your thoughts and experience with the phone call reminded me that there are alot more things going on in the background that we don't know are happeneding than are refelcted on the web site.

My status hasn't changed on the web site since July 3rd, and I must have checked it a thousand times since then.

The part about the immigration officer saying that you will have your finace here by Christmans was also an encouragement because I am hoping to be able to spend Christmas with my Melinda. It will be very hard to go through the Holidays without her.

Anyway, it was to hear from someone else who is struggling with the wait, thanks for the post.

Rob and Melinda

04/25/2006 l married Cebu Philippines

11/28/2006 l Interview US Embassy Manila

12/15/2006 l Received k3 VISA

12/27/2006 l POE Detroit USA - Home!!!

AOS - Dallas DORA

07/17/2007 l AOS Interview - accepted into DORA 90 day program

09/06/2007 l Biometrics Appointment Dallas Texas

10/15/2007 l AOS Approved - received "Welcome to the United States" Letter

10/23/2007 l Received Greencard "Permanent Resident Card"

next: lift greencard 2yr condition June/2009 / goal: US Citizenship - 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I have a homemade script I follow when calling I have it about memorized but my average hold times are anywhere from 30minutes to an hour.

This is just my process for checking my status since I am unable to get my status using my MSC receipt number through the automated system and online access.

This is the sort of post that makes my day. Tips, tips, tips! Your current script is now the basis for my future one.

Ha! Maybe I'll even use your shower idea, to help make it a bit more relaxing ... better than the stress-eating I would have probably opted for on my own!

:clock::pop::clock::pop::clock::pop::clock::pop::clock::pop::dead:

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

08.17.06 - I-130 mailed to TSC

08.29.06 - NOA-1 generated

09.04.06 - NOA-1 received in the mail from CSC

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

11.01.06 - APPROVED!! [76 days]

NVC

11.20.06 - Case number assigned

11.21.06 - E-mailed Choice of Agent and mailed AOS Bill using James' Shortcuts

11.28.06 - Choice of Agent in NVC system

12.04.06 - IV Bill and I-864 Packet generated

12.06.06 - I-864 mailed using James' Shortcuts

12.12.06 - IV Bill rec'd via USPS and payment sent back to NVC same day

12.21.06 - I-864 in NVC system

12.26.06 - DS-230 generated

12.29.06 - DS-230 mailed using James' Shortcuts

01.08.07 - All paperwork in NVC system.

02.07.07 - Case complete [80 days]. NVC reports our file has left for London

*** Saved total of 29 days using James' Shortcuts***

London Embassy

03.06.07 - Packet arrives with interview date & instructions

04.03.07 - Medical in London - went smoothly

04.12.07 - 10.30 AM Interview at London Embassy - in and out in half an hour!

04.13.07 - Visa arrives at Hubby's home in York, 1.30 PM. WOW!

04.29.07 - Husband arrives in US via Newark. :)

Filed: Timeline

cybernutguy,

I don't know what legislation the immigration officer may have been referring to, but I can tell you that overall things are moving faster these days, start to finish (petition to LPR status) and each step in between, then they were a decade ago despite increased volume and all of the 'overhead' that has been added post 9/11.

Something a lot of people these days don't appreciate.

Yodrak

He was explaining that several years ago, before President Bush signed legislation into law it had taken some petitioners up to 7 years to process their visas and that the process has been streamlined in recent years. Anyone else heard of this?

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you very much for that hopeful news.

Thanks a lot.

I-130 Timeline

08/15/06 - Mailed I-130 to VSC.

08/24/06 - NOA1

08/29/06 - Touched.

12/04/06 - NOA2.

12/05/06 - Touched.

K-3 Timeline

08/30/06 - Mailed I-129f to Chicago.

09/08/06 - NOA1

09/11/06 - Touched.

09/13/06 - Touched.

09/20/06 - Touched.

10/24/06 - Transferred to VSC.

11/01/06 - VSC recieved.

11/03/06 - Touched.

11/04/06 - Touched.

12/15/06 - NOA2

12/20/06 - NVC recieves.

12/21/06 - NVC assigns case number.

12/22/06 - Left NVC for consulate.

12/26/06 - Consulate recieved it.

02/20/07 - Interview Approved.

03/02/07 - POE JFK.

AOS Timeline

03/13/07 - AOS/EAD Filed

03/22/07 - NOA 1

03/26/07 - Biometrics appointment scheduled.

04/05/07 - Biometrics appointment.

06/17/07 - Green Card

Remove Conditional Residence

March 09 - I-751 Filed

May 09 - Biometrics done.

I have been one of the people unable to track our K3 spousal visa since receiving the NOA1 in July so I have been calling and enduring the hold times to get a status updates from an immigration officer every week. Most of the time the officer just finds my case and assures me that it is processing but today I spoke with a very helpful officer who has been through the process himself and he gave a lot more information and insight into what is going on.

The office I spoke with today says my file was last worked July 24 and that everything looked fine and that I should see an approval soon. I asked him about the IMBRA and RFE's. He advised that although that was still at the descretion of the officer processing the petition that the new forms were cutting a lot of those out and that he is starting to see the petitions a lot sooner now. He said unless an officer found an error he said I should see an approval soon. He also mentioned that the regular K1 fiance petitions are more closely monitored for fraud than if the petition is used for spouses already married as long as documentation is provided because the USCIS defers the security checks to the embassy level where the petition lands after the NVC.

The officer told me when I call for status updates, to always tell the customer rep that answers that you want to talk to an immigration officer, he said and officer has access to more information and your case and is in a better position to help you with information.

He was very familiar with the embassy in Manila and told me his own wife immigrated from there. He also advised me that as long as I follow the instructions through the rest of the process that is was reasonable to expect to have the wife here for Christmas.

When I asked why I am unable to track the petition online or via the automated system on phone he said it must be a data entry error to get the receipt into the system but that it would in no way hold up the process, that the petition is moving forward as it should. At least I have my first touch date ha...July 24th

I know a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part but it does give me a bit of hope that the process is moving forward for us. I just wanted to share my conversation with this officer with you all and get your feedback on it.

I don't have a k3, but I have AOS, EAD, and AP that was sent to the Chicago lock box and I can't check my status online either...

(sigh)

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Cybernutguy...

Thank you VERY much for the inspiring information! I also cannot check my information online and would like to be able to know where I am at! Sometimes the wealth of information on here is more than one can filter, so it is nice to get your script.

I printed it out and will try it myself tomorrow morning! I'll post the results and comments I receive...

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Cybernutguy...

Thank you VERY much for the inspiring information! I also cannot check my information online and would like to be able to know where I am at! Sometimes the wealth of information on here is more than one can filter, so it is nice to get your script.

I printed it out and will try it myself tomorrow morning! I'll post the results and comments I receive...

So far I have tried this option and I got nothing but a snotty rep who said it is not possible to speak with an Immigration Officcer. I was REALLL nice and REALLL friendly and she immediately told me she had no information on my application. I asked to speak with an Immigration Officer and she got as snooty as hell, saying there was none available there and she has to transfer me to a higher level of Customer Service!

I dont know how, but I am GOING to find out where I am at and why I can view my status online today!

Edited by bradyvicky

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: Timeline

I think you should keep trying till you get a customer service rep that does help and does put your call to an IO. Thats what I had to do. When you give them your receipt number and they are unable to pull it up they should foward you to an IO so they can find out whats going on since they are unable to track it themselves. I can no longer use this tip as the number has started showing up for me online so every time I try to talk to an IO regarding other questions they wont put me through, but before when it was not showing up for weeks it did work. Just keep trying. I know its a long wait but its a peace of mind when you are able to talk to some one. Also you might want to try the bilingual customer serivce. One time I eded up in the bilingual spanish customer service. I dont know how but Im glad I did. The IOs that I have talked to there have been whole lot nicer and helpful.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I dont know how, but I am GOING to find out where I am at and why I can view my status online today!

Brad,

Where you're at is: an I-130 waiting processing in Texas, and an I-129f waiting its turn in Missouri. :)

Your files are still in line waiting their turn on someone's delk--there is no individual information that anyone can give you about your files, particularly since you are not only not over the posted processing date, you're not even close. If your case were available online, there would be *no* information about it.

I'm super jealous of your upcoming trip, btw. I loved Providencia, and San Andres has it's own charm once you get out of the city. Have a great time, but don't try to drink the water! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

That is about the most awesome bit of information I've ever heard ever! Come to think of it, maybe I should try to talk to an immi officer and see what's up...I haven't had a touch since they got my IMBRA RFE Jul 18!!!!

just to add to your first post, you mentioned that it used to take 7 years before they streamlined. Just an example, my cousin went through her K-1 last year...from the time her then fiance filed the petition to when they got NOA2, it took them one (1) month! then about 5 more months to apply for her visa and step foot on US soil. So a total of about 6 months is what it took her to get here. Now it's my turn, filed in March...and still haven't gotten an NOA2! even if I get it this week..that's still another 5 months we have to wait...at least! I just wanna scream bloody hell! Anyhow, I'm gonna try to talk to that immi occifer.

??Jul 2005 - we met online

28 Jul 2005 - our relationship "officially" started (we chatted almost every single night!)

4 Feb 2006 - I flew over to see her for her birthday and Valentine's Day

7 Mar 2006 - I-129F sent

9 Mar 2006 - petition received

14 Mar 2006 - petition opened

16 Mar 2006 - NOA1 sent (nothing heard since)

23 Jun 2006 - IMBRA RFE sent

6 Jul 2006 - IMBRA RFE reply sent

18 Jul 2006 - RFE reply recieved

19 Jul 2006 - touched

24 Aug 2006 - finally got bloody touched!!! (they responded to my RFE)

31 Aug 2006 - touched

1 Sep 2006 - NOA2! nuf said!!! (178 days)

5 Sep 2006 - touched? after already getting NOA2?

7 Sep 2006 - touched yet again...must be the mailing process

22 Sep 2006 - Case left NVC

26 Sep 2006 - Case arrived in Manila Embassy

7 Dec 2006 - Appointment letter sent

13 Dec 2006 - received Appt letter

21 Dec 2006 - St Luke's Medical appointment

28 Dec 2006 - Visa interview appointment (APPROVED!!!)

11 Jan 2007 - VISA ON HAND!!!! YEA YEA!!!!

17 Mar 2007 - First step into US soil (SFO)

28 Mar 2007 - Civil wedding at SF City Hall!

Adjustment of Status

16 May 2007 - finally mailed off AOS/EAD package

18 May 2007 - AOS/EAD received

22 May 2007 - AOS/EAD notice sent

25 May 2007 - status update on USCIS website

19 Jun 2007 - Biometrics Appointment in Sacramento

20 Jun 2007 - touched

26 Jun 2007 - touched

25 Jul 2007 - AOS touched

1 Aug 2007 - EAD approved. USCIS ordered production of new card

13 Aug 2007 - AOS interview (APPROVED!!!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.