Sebas&Lily

What happends if we abandon AOS process?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

What will happend? My wife is having a really hard time here adjusting and giving up an engineering career back home which can set you up pretty good when it comes to retirement. I mean we are already married, it's not like they will take our Certificate away and her SSN is in the mail.

If we give up on the AOS process, I understand in order for her to enter the US again she will need a whole new Visa from the embassy and I will most likely file for I-130 next time around (if there is a next time, by that I mean if we decide to come back to the US) since we will be married in Romania also. Will the SSN stay intact or do they revoke it?

I mean I want to know where we stand if we DO come back to the US. Since I will bring her here on I-130 and we will already have this marriage here, how will that work?

I'm so confused and depressed...I really thought she will adjust here but she can't and I have the strong feeling that she doesn't want to...there's nothing here she likes, paperwork takes forever so she sits at home and just cooks and cleans, that's it, SSN people tell you 4 weeks and you wait patiently, then after 4 and half weeks you take time off work (me) to go to the SSN office and have them tell you another 2 weeks; her mom gets really sick and needs to go hospital yet the US govt doesn't think it's important enough reason to expedite AP, well not for them since I've noticed family is not very valued here; once you get GC you cannot be gone for more than 6mos even though you are now LEGAL ALIEN in this country...why do they make things so hard on people here? Then you wonder why people are stressed here 24/7 and have dementia by 50. I am beginning to feel guilty for bringing her here because I see how she suffers from being away from family in a place she doesn't like. Even though life might be easier here, I think I will stick with family this time and leave behind 15 years of work and experiences and friends.

Edited by Sebas&Lily

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Yes, you've got it right. You guys can leave and stay as long as you want and when you come back, you go through the visa process again - this time for a spousal visa. Coming back the next time will be easier because she would have the green card as soon as she entered, so no waiting for stuff to come in the mail and be processed etc.

Sorry things aren't going so well for you guys, I hope you two find a better life together in her country if that's what you decide.

The SSN, when assigned is hers for life no matter her residency status.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

What will happend? My wife is having a really hard time here adjusting and giving up an engineering career back home which can set you up pretty good when it comes to retirement. I mean we are already married, it's not like they will take our Certificate away and her SSN is in the mail.

If we give up on the AOS process, I understand in order for her to enter the US again she will need a whole new Visa from the embassy and I will most likely file for I-130 next time around (if there is a next time, by that I mean if we decide to come back to the US) since we will be married in Romania also. Will the SSN stay intact or do they revoke it?

I mean I want to know where we stand if we DO come back to the US. Since I will bring her here on I-130 and we will already have this marriage here, how will that work?

I'm so confused and depressed...I really thought she will adjust here but she can't and I have the strong feeling that she doesn't want to...there's nothing here she likes, paperwork takes forever so she sits at home and just cooks and cleans, that's it, SSN people tell you 4 weeks and you wait patiently, then after 4 and half weeks you take time off work (me) to go to the SSN office and have them tell you another 2 weeks; her mom gets really sick and needs to go hospital yet the US govt doesn't think it's important enough reason to expedite AP, well not for them since I've noticed family is not very valued here; once you get GC you cannot be gone for more than 6mos even though you are now LEGAL ALIEN in this country...why do they make things so hard on people here? Then you wonder why people are stressed here 24/7 and have dementia by 50. I am beginning to feel guilty for bringing her here because I see how she suffers from being away from family in a place she doesn't like. Even though life might be easier here, I think I will stick with family this time and leave behind 15 years of work and experiences and friends.

You can abandon the application by sending a letter to USCIS to withdraw the application. You will not get your money back however.

If you do decide to return in the future, you would either proceed with the DCF process or IR-1 process. Both of those will give your wife a greencard upon entry (no AOS).

I don't think the SSN is revoked, but it really wont do anything. She will keep the same alien number should she apply again in the future.

keTiiDCjGVo

I am also sorry you are having a hard time. I just want to add that you can leave for up to a year without doing anything, and if you want to leave for up to two years, there is a reentry permit that you can get. The SSN is her number for life.

Good luck whatever you do.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Hey guys, I'm sorry to read she's having a hard time adjusting there. I don't know when you guys applied for AOS, but I was wondering if there isn't any way you could wait till she receives the GC so that in case you do want to come back to the US in the future you won't have to start all over again? Once she has the GC she can leave for one year, but for over ayear she will need a re-entry permit.

Anyway, I wish you all the happiness in the world, whether in the US or Romania!

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Timeline

Thank you for all the kind words, we applied for AOS in August, she won't get her GC until January 2011 most likely. So why won't there be a waiting/processing time next time around? Is it because she was already approved once through the I129F process and she is now married to me, a US citizen?

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Thank you for all the kind words, we applied for AOS in August, she won't get her GC until January 2011 most likely. So why won't there be a waiting/processing time next time around? Is it because she was already approved once through the I129F process and she is now married to me, a US citizen?

If you are living with her in Romania and then you decide to come back, you just apply for her immigrant spousal visa through the embassy there ~6 months or so before you move, and then you don't have to spend any time apart. It won't be like it was this time. Then, when she enters on the spousal immigrant visa, the day she enters, she is a US permanent resident, and they stamp her passport with an I-551 stamp when she comes in, which is equal to a green card, so there's no waiting for AOS to go through. She could start her life from day 1.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Many people have a difficult time adjusting to life in America. From your time line, she has only been here a very short time. Why not give it a little more time and let the AOS process move forward. She may have the same difficulty adjusting if you want to return some day and the process for bringing your wife can be very long and possibly even more costly as the USCIS continues to raise fees all the time.

If you get the green card, then you can come and go as you like until the two year time period to file for permanent status. That process is much quicker than the initial AOS and then you will have a 10 year interval.

You have been patient during the K-1 process, try it a little longer for the AOS process. :)

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm inclined to agree with 1HappyGuy and his reasonings. But I think Nik+Heather's suggestion is also good. I hope you guys make the right and best decision for your relationship! :)

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

K-1 is technically a non-immigrant (with immigration intent) visa. Which is why AOS must be filled in order to get a green card. Since you are already married, if you were to return you would do so with an immigrant visa.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

so there IS light at the end of the tunnel! :P Thank you again, you guys have been more than helpful, I cannot thank you enough. I have learned a great deal of info since I have joined this site and I will always be a member and referr people here.

I wish she can hang on for longer to get adjusted to life here but especially at the moment, she can't. We just found out this morning that her mom has hernia again and needs surgery (2nd time in 3 years) so she HAS to be there with her and care for her and talk to the doctors. Also there is a test for her engineering career that she CANNOT miss.. starting next year they are changing some law about her engineering level and if she doesn't take this test to upgrade then she will lose everything she has worked for and gone to school for in the past 8 years or so. If it wasn't such bad timing, we would be waiting patiently for paperwork. Hey if life wasn't this difficult, we wouldn't call it life, we would call it floating through the clouds :P

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

so GREAT NEWS last night! I received an email that our request to expedite the I131 (AP) has been approved, the actual I131 is approved is what the letter says (email) and that they are mailing us the actual NOA :D I and my wife are REALLY excited because once she is done with her mom's surgery she can come back and spend the Holidays together! YAY! :D

Oh maybe I should mention how we got this done :) We had the original InfoPass appointment a few weeks back and we were denied since in the letter from the doctor he didn't mention specifically that my wife, Liliana, has to be present for this operation. We said ok, we'll get you the right paperwork. So after another week and a lot of running around by my brother-in-law (he's only 21) to get the right paperwork from the doctor (2 doctors), get it legalized and translated (quite a bit of money), we finally got the paper stack in our hands so I made another InfoPass appointment to present our case.

This time around we got to talk to a really nice and helpful lady (the first time it was an asian lady and she was full of attitude and not helpful at all, I felt it before even talking to her that she won't approve it). This other lady we went to this time actually explained to us that the only time they give out emergency AP on the spot is if someone in the family is dying or just died. She said that she CAN scan our documents and send them to the Service Center and ask them for us to expedite them. I said OF COURSE, THANK YOU :D

So she did that and 2 days later we got the approval email. I cannot be thankful enough to that lady (and USCIS or the Service Center), she was extremely helpful and actually took time to listen to our case and care about the situation. She even said "I'm sorry about your mom and good luck" when we left.

Anyway, so here we are, AP should arrive soon :)

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.