6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

After alot of discussion with my husband, we have decided that we will be moving back to my home country as we are finding it really hard to manage our lives here, as in the pay isnt so great, everything is expensive and we cant seem to be getting anywhere,i was wondering if anyone else has been considering the same thing, my temp greencard is going to run out in april 2012 but we really wanted to stay until the end of may so our child would finish out the school year, what kinda of problems would we have by my being here 1 month longer than allowed??

K1

see my timeline for K1

Applied for SSN : 2009-05-07

Received SSN : 2009-05-11 (maiden Name)

Marriage : 2009-06-27

AOS

Filed: 2009-07-20

Delivered : 2009-07-22 Signed by - R MERCADO.

NOA's dated : 2009-07-27

received NOA's : 2009-07-31

touched : 2009-07-30 for EAD, I-485 and AP

Bio Appointment : 2009-08-21

touched: AOS case moved to California 2009-09-09

EAD Card Ordered : 2009-09-17

AP Approved: 2009-09-17

AP Received: 2009-09-24

EAD Card Received: 2009-09-24

Case transfered again, back to the NBC we go 2009-10-13

Woohooo got my drivers license today 2009-10-13

2009-11-05 Went to change my SSN to my married name but was told it wasnt in the system yet i receive mail from USCIS in my married name

April 15th 2010, received email that my green card is on its way woohooo!!!

April 23rd 2010 received my greencard today

ezub3hz.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
After alot of discussion with my husband, we have decided that we will be moving back to my home country as we are finding it really hard to manage our lives here, as in the pay isnt so great, everything is expensive and we cant seem to be getting anywhere,i was wondering if anyone else has been considering the same thing, my temp greencard is going to run out in april 2012 but we really wanted to stay until the end of may so our child would finish out the school year, what kinda of problems would we have by my being here 1 month longer than allowed??

You might have some problems because i'm pretty sure you get sent a letter for removal proceedings if you don't file ROC before your deadline... best not to risk that. I think your options are:

1. Apply for ROC and wait for that to come through then apply for a re-entry permit so you can stay out of the US for up to 2 years (in case you change your mind)

2. You leave BEFORE it expires and hand over your greencard (you should look into that) and "prepare" for your families arrival in Australia. Get an apartment, start work, get your medicare cards in order, health care card if applicable. etc etc.

This stuff you probably already know but just in case you haven't though of it, here's some other advice -----

Your spouse will need a visa to enter Australia. I don't know how long the processing time are there. Your child will need to make sure she has her US passport and her Aussie passport before she leaves. US passport because it's easier to get (in my opinion) when you're in the country that issues it. Her Aussie one, I'm not sure what sort of proof you need in order to get her Aussie citizenship stuff in order. Maybe you already know but I don't.

On the school front, your child may finish out the school year in the US, but she will be missing the START of the school year in Australia, which I personally think is more important. Looking at it from her point of view, she will be there to start with everyone else BEFORE friendship groups are fully formed. She would feel (or be treated like) an invader if she comes in a few months "late". She might feel behind in the school work. She will have time to meet kids at the park, or in the street, or through friends before school starts so she doesn't feel like "a freak". Any time someone with an accent starts school they're treated like a novelty or a freak... forward planning will help her fit in a bit better and hopefully not miss her "old" friends too much. You will need to find out what grade in school she will be going into because I know American school is behind Australian schooling (or was with many people that went on exchange) so how would she normally be assessed for her "level"? At the school you pick is she tested before starting? Or is she just put in her age group? What about her school uniform (sometimes they run out, I know they did run out of my school's jumpers for a while there... COLD!!), and getting the book and stationary list together. What about enrolling her in school, depending on your state (in Australia), is there a deadline for that?

If you don't put her in school straight away she will be further behind. Maybe you can move back to Australia about a month before school starts so she can meet with family, and your friends and stuff before starting school. She can start to feel like she fits in. Then maybe you can take her on a tour of the school before she starts there so she knows what to expect..

Depending on her age, that month being in Australia might help her lose her accent just enough that people don't notice right away because she WILL get stared at (I'm sure you know from when you got here) and kids aren't exactly subtle! It'll give her a chance to settle into her new house, her new room, the new food... before the stress of starting school...

Unsolicited advice I know, but I also know lots of people who've changed schools and countries and it's always been hard on them coming in the middle of the school year. Sometimes they might have been treated so "special" their school work lags behind, some are treated poorly so they miss their "old country".

-----

On the greencard front, yes, I think you will encounter issues if you don't plan to ROC. You may get removal proceedings started and that doesn't look good. I think you should leave BEFORE your GC expires to get your ducks in a row before your family comes... or just you all leave before your card expires for the many reasons listed above.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's probably not an easy one when you made "the big move" to the US but I don't blame you. The income here was a BIG shock to me :S Though I've had no issues with expensive, I've noticed everythings pretty cheap compared to Australia.. but when you factor in the shitty income I suppose it does look expensive... actually the growing old here part scares me most, at least we have pensions and government assistance in Australia, not to mention the medical system!!

Timeline

You might have some problems because i'm pretty sure you get sent a letter for removal proceedings if you don't file ROC before your deadline... best not to risk that. I think your options are:

1. Apply for ROC and wait for that to come through then apply for a re-entry permit so you can stay out of the US for up to 2 years (in case you change your mind)

2. You leave BEFORE it expires and hand over your greencard (you should look into that) and "prepare" for your families arrival in Australia. Get an apartment, start work, get your medicare cards in order, health care card if applicable. etc etc.

This stuff you probably already know but just in case you haven't though of it, here's some other advice -----

Your spouse will need a visa to enter Australia. I don't know how long the processing time are there. Your child will need to make sure she has her US passport and her Aussie passport before she leaves. US passport because it's easier to get (in my opinion) when you're in the country that issues it. Her Aussie one, I'm not sure what sort of proof you need in order to get her Aussie citizenship stuff in order. Maybe you already know but I don't.

On the school front, your child may finish out the school year in the US, but she will be missing the START of the school year in Australia, which I personally think is more important. Looking at it from her point of view, she will be there to start with everyone else BEFORE friendship groups are fully formed. She would feel (or be treated like) an invader if she comes in a few months "late". She might feel behind in the school work. She will have time to meet kids at the park, or in the street, or through friends before school starts so she doesn't feel like "a freak". Any time someone with an accent starts school they're treated like a novelty or a freak... forward planning will help her fit in a bit better and hopefully not miss her "old" friends too much. You will need to find out what grade in school she will be going into because I know American school is behind Australian schooling (or was with many people that went on exchange) so how would she normally be assessed for her "level"? At the school you pick is she tested before starting? Or is she just put in her age group? What about her school uniform (sometimes they run out, I know they did run out of my school's jumpers for a while there... COLD!!), and getting the book and stationary list together. What about enrolling her in school, depending on your state (in Australia), is there a deadline for that?

If you don't put her in school straight away she will be further behind. Maybe you can move back to Australia about a month before school starts so she can meet with family, and your friends and stuff before starting school. She can start to feel like she fits in. Then maybe you can take her on a tour of the school before she starts there so she knows what to expect..

Depending on her age, that month being in Australia might help her lose her accent just enough that people don't notice right away because she WILL get stared at (I'm sure you know from when you got here) and kids aren't exactly subtle! It'll give her a chance to settle into her new house, her new room, the new food... before the stress of starting school...

Unsolicited advice I know, but I also know lots of people who've changed schools and countries and it's always been hard on them coming in the middle of the school year. Sometimes they might have been treated so "special" their school work lags behind, some are treated poorly so they miss their "old country".

-----

On the greencard front, yes, I think you will encounter issues if you don't plan to ROC. You may get removal proceedings started and that doesn't look good. I think you should leave BEFORE your GC expires to get your ducks in a row before your family comes... or just you all leave before your card expires for the many reasons listed above.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's probably not an easy one when you made "the big move" to the US but I don't blame you. The income here was a BIG shock to me :S Though I've had no issues with expensive, I've noticed everythings pretty cheap compared to Australia.. but when you factor in the shitty income I suppose it does look expensive... actually the growing old here part scares me most, at least we have pensions and government assistance in Australia, not to mention the medical system!!

Hi Thanks for your response, my daughter is Australian but one of his is American, we will need to stay here until our taxes are filed, as for being an outcast it wont be a problem because my daughter has stayed in touch with her Australian friends and they also know her American sister, the only real problem i have with not going before the greencard expires is the cost of the ROC which in my case would be an additonal $1000 and we have no desire to return to the USA, although that being said we might need our 2012 taxes to help us with air fares cost, as we want to bring our 3 dogs with us too, ( i know this will be expensive) we have looked into my husband getting a visa and we understand he needs one, we have also seen that if we wait until we have been married for 2 years he can get a permanent visa. as i said before money is really tight here, esp with me not working at the moment( i am looking for work )i was working for at least 6 months until recently, when we first appilied for my visa money wasnt such a problem but now having 3 teenagers living with us (one nearly 18 and not wanting to move to Australia) things have changed dramatically! is there a way i could get my 2 year green card extended or should i just waste $1000 on getting the ROC??

K1

see my timeline for K1

Applied for SSN : 2009-05-07

Received SSN : 2009-05-11 (maiden Name)

Marriage : 2009-06-27

AOS

Filed: 2009-07-20

Delivered : 2009-07-22 Signed by - R MERCADO.

NOA's dated : 2009-07-27

received NOA's : 2009-07-31

touched : 2009-07-30 for EAD, I-485 and AP

Bio Appointment : 2009-08-21

touched: AOS case moved to California 2009-09-09

EAD Card Ordered : 2009-09-17

AP Approved: 2009-09-17

AP Received: 2009-09-24

EAD Card Received: 2009-09-24

Case transfered again, back to the NBC we go 2009-10-13

Woohooo got my drivers license today 2009-10-13

2009-11-05 Went to change my SSN to my married name but was told it wasnt in the system yet i receive mail from USCIS in my married name

April 15th 2010, received email that my green card is on its way woohooo!!!

April 23rd 2010 received my greencard today

ezub3hz.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I think it might be a good idea to get the ROC. This way you still have the option of coming back to the US. Things change and I would not want to be on the bad side of US Immigration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi Thanks for your response, my daughter is Australian but one of his is American, we will need to stay here until our taxes are filed, as for being an outcast it wont be a problem because my daughter has stayed in touch with her Australian friends and they also know her American sister, the only real problem i have with not going before the greencard expires is the cost of the ROC which in my case would be an additonal $1000 and we have no desire to return to the USA, although that being said we might need our 2012 taxes to help us with air fares cost, as we want to bring our 3 dogs with us too, ( i know this will be expensive) we have looked into my husband getting a visa and we understand he needs one, we have also seen that if we wait until we have been married for 2 years he can get a permanent visa. as i said before money is really tight here, esp with me not working at the moment( i am looking for work )i was working for at least 6 months until recently, when we first appilied for my visa money wasnt such a problem but now having 3 teenagers living with us (one nearly 18 and not wanting to move to Australia) things have changed dramatically! is there a way i could get my 2 year green card extended or should i just waste $1000 on getting the ROC??

I'm pretty sure there's not a way to extend it, no sorry :( An option MIGHT be to hand over the GC and then come back in on the VWP to file taxes (couldn't work and earn money though). Though I'm not sure if they'd let you in... they should but who knows really... But that actually reminds me, once your GC has passed it's expiry date, your need to stop working anyway. That's a month staying there without your income.

Can't you file taxes from Australia? Maybe file electronically? Or is there something you can sign ahead of time? Or can he get the taxes done, mail them to you to sign?

Your dogs... have your read up on what's involved there? I read up on it a while ago to bring my puppy. Here's the link: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs just enter the US in the drop down box and explains the quarantine period, and what shots need to be up to date etc... That should help you get a head start on all of that. What abotu the 22 hour flight or whatever it is. Can you get drugs that last that long to put them "drowzy" for the flight?

Can you leave early to get a job and start working to save money to help with bringing everyone over? Getting a job in the new year should be pretty easy (I was told Feb's a good time... before Xmas is hard :S) Then you could give up the GC early, prepare the home in Australia and then save money for everyone else to come over... the dogs are not gunna be cheap :S Flights back to Australia are really good right now, $1200 if you wanted to leave right now :P (I'm only saying that 'cause I've been looking) so perhaps you could look at airfares and when they're cheapest to save a bit of money there too? Saving money in Aus should be a LOT easier, especially if you stay with family or friends or something while working, which is easier when it's just you.

Timeline

Just thought I would mention something that I read recently.

Apparently psychs are suggesting kids start their new school in the middle of the terms as it quickly gets them back into the routine of the new school etc...Its a requirement that kids in Australia go to school until 16...and thats when you will strike issues....State school admins here in qld will not admit a child once he is 16 if asking discussion with that child he/she shows signs of negative approaches to their school studies....I think its a recent trend and part of this ever excessive 'once your 16 in australia you can do what you like'....I have spoken with many police/lawyers/medical/school teachers/principles etc...and until the law is changed they expect things to get worse. So my advice is to just consider that bit and get prepared!

importing the dogs...

Well my cats fying out with us Monday to LA but going back the other way is a lot harder...for me the cost for the cat vet check tick bath etc $1200 oh that includes the flight & cage too. Qantas just put their pet transport fares up and vaustralia require you purchase bigger cages. There are a heap of agents in australia who can handle the lot....vaustralia web page will help you with that...i hope you dont get too much of a shock with the price of it all.

I was tryng to get my future husband a visa to live here rather than me live there....app fee started at $2500.00 and no definate it would be approved... a girlfriend from work said it took her 2 years and a couple of flights to and from brazil before the residency was granted...she had been married to her aussie bloke in brazil and she said at the end of it all it cost them thousands more than the 2500 app fee. I was told by immigration that the process takes a minimum of 10 mths....my advice is throw away your passports and id - youll get in free and quicker hehehe (no Im only joking)

As we are having an election here on 21 august the migration laws my change as its been a hot topic of debate....should a new government be elected or not...

Good luck with your decision....apparently there are heaps of jobs going in the mines qld WA...fifo would be good....big money...starting pay is 90k

cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.