Libersolis

Learning to drive on the right side of the road

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

My wife is South African and thus drives on the left hand side.. For those who have made the switch over to the right can you describe how you learned and how difficult it was>

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-16-06-I-129F Arrived in Chicago

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

12-14-06-Arrived at Consulate

01-04-07-Packet 3 Received

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

01-10-07-Medical Examination

02-13-07-Interview in Johannesburg

I can't drive... but according to my Gypsy I will be taking driving lessons once I get there... and have no clue how to deal with the shift from the left hand side to the right hand side even in my head... I had learnt how to drive many years ago but a near accident put me off it for a life-time... now I will have no option it seems coz Houston does not have a decent public transport system... and the idea of driving scares me sh!tless :blink:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

you get used to it as long as you remember to go to the correct side of the car when you get in.

I remember in places like London....stepping off a curb and looking at the wrong direction for traffic and almost get killed.

Always bumping into someone as we walk to the right.

Try someplace like Jamaica where they drive American cars but drive to the left...I cant even figure out how to get into the car.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

My wife is South African and thus drives on the left hand side.. For those who have made the switch over to the right can you describe how you learned and how difficult it was>

I learnt to drive on the right side of the road. Then I moved to Ireland and had to learn to drive on the wron... I mean, left side of the road ;). I found it to be fairly easy. At the very beginning one tends to open the window instead of shifing gears, that's all :)

I also have no problem with driving on the right side of the road - my own position in the car serves as a constant reminder. If I sit in the left seat I drive on the right side of the road and vice versa.

Bartek

I didn't find learning to drive on the wrong side of the road difficult :no: Got a bit weirded out with being able to turn right on a red light, got over that one pretty quick. People drive real slow here, Ive given myself a full manicure whilst waiting for oncoming traffic to pass whilst I'm waiting to pull out !! :lol: Also the concept of a traffic jam is a bit different from London, well in north Idaho at least. The 1st time I came over hubbub was driving me somewhere , he says " dammit ...theres a traffic jam ". I'm looking right ..left ahead ..behind thinking ..where is it...where the hell are we going..and there it was..a four car gridlock !! :lol: I thought bloody hell...you are just going to lurve the m25 :whistle:

Kim

21/12/2005 arrive in time for Christmas with my baby !!

18/02/2006 We are married in Coeur D'Alene !!

16/05/2006 AOS and EAD sent off to the windy city. ( day 1)

27/05/2006 NOA's received...woo hoo !! ( day 12 )

09/06/2006 Appointment letter for biometrics arrives ( day 25 )

30/06/2006 Biometrics 11am at Spokane ( day 46 )

22/07/2006 Appointment letter for AOS interview arrives (day 68 )

04/08/2006 Without any warning.....EAD card arrives in the post !! ( day 81 )

24/08/2006 AOS interview at 7.30 am ( day 101 )

24/08/2006 APPROVED !!!

28/08/2006 Welcome to America letter arrives...gee thanks guys !! ( day 105 )

02/09/2006 Green card arrives ...woo hoo !! ( day 110 ) We can relax until 2008 :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has not driven in Europe?

The gear stick is the hardest bit, everything else comes very quickly.

Riding a bike is another thing, nothing to remind you.

Would be much easier if the US switched to the correct side.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Would be much easier if the US switched to the correct side.

:yes::thumbs: Im having enough trouble walking through the right side of automatic doors to supermarkets as I always go left. :blink:

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I didn't find learning to drive on the wrong side of the road difficult :no: Got a bit weirded out with being able to turn right on a red light, got over that one pretty quick. People drive real slow here, Ive given myself a full manicure whilst waiting for oncoming traffic to pass whilst I'm waiting to pull out !! :lol: Also the concept of a traffic jam is a bit different from London, well in north Idaho at least. The 1st time I came over hubbub was driving me somewhere , he says " dammit ...theres a traffic jam ". I'm looking right ..left ahead ..behind thinking ..where is it...where the hell are we going..and there it was..a four car gridlock !! :lol: I thought bloody hell...you are just going to lurve the m25 :whistle:

Kim

I had gone to a place in Western Australia called Geraldton... a traffic jam was about a four car gridlock too!!! But what really freaked me was "this beach is packed full of people" - and I could see maybe 5 at most on the beach... :lol::lol::lol:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Timeline

I learnt on the left and switched to the right in Canada. I was 16 at the time and found the adjustment to be quite simple. Periodically, I switch again and have no problems with two exceptions:

1. I can't drive down a dirt road on the right. I associate them too much with where I learnt originally and find myself veering left. Living the the centre of a large city, this rarely comes up.

2. The turn signal and wipers swap sides. I end-up spraying the windshield and turning-on the wipers for the first few days after a switch.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I drove around our apartment complex a few times first to get used to the gears, indicators etc.

If you've a stick shift, she'll probably hit the door a few times looking to change gears, but after a few times it's easy.

Roads are much bigger which is good and bad...more room, but lots of times you've got tractor trailers on either side of you!

Roundabouts are easier driving on the right-hand side I thought.

THINK before turning out of a gas station!! I almost...but didn't thanks to my hubby!...turned into oncoming traffic!!

All in all, it's a pretty easy transition and being able to drive in the U.S. makes a world of a difference to how fast/slow you settle in. Even if I never went anywhere during the day, knowing I had the car outside gave me a huge feeling of independence :yes:

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
you get used to it as long as you remember to go to the correct side of the car when you get in.

I remember in places like London....stepping off a curb and looking at the wrong direction for traffic and almost get killed.

Always bumping into someone as we walk to the right.

Try someplace like Jamaica where they drive American cars but drive to the left...I cant even figure out how to get into the car.

at home we typically drive on the left in left-hand drive cars, but in the last few years, there has been an influx of imported cars from japan & korea where the wheel is on the right... so its becoming an interesting mix...

everytime i get into my mom's toyota, i'm on the wrong side either for driving or for riding :wacko:

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

2. The turn signal and wipers swap sides. I end-up spraying the windshield and turning-on the wipers for the first few days after a switch.

That's what I find slightly annoying about driving in Ireland. There is no rule ! It is different in every car :huh:

I second the comment about dirt roads, especially when riding a bicycle/motorbike. The law of primacy takes over and I tend to turn right when anybody approaches head-on...

And while I do not consider driving on the right side of the road to be "natural" anymore, I think that the world as a whole would be better off if we all switched to it. For those of you who are afraid of the change, let's make it gradual. For the first week only trucks will drive on the right side ;)

Bartek

I had my first experience of driving over here yesterday. Driving on the right side of the road is like me writing with my left hand, it feels a bit weird the writings a bit ropey but with practice you can manage it!!!

Personally I found it weird checking my mirrors as I'm used to looking up to the left, but we've got plenty more practice to come! Gotta get my licence before the Wisconsin winter kicks in :unsure:

-10/02/06 The beginning of the rest of our lives together!!!

-11/03/06 Our wedding day!!!

AOS Timeline

-03/05/06 NOA 1 For AOS, EAD & AP

-13/05/06 All applications touched

-05/06/06 Letter recieved from USCIS Appointment date set for Biometrics

-21/06/06 Biometrics apptointment

-24/06/06 EAD and AOS Touched

-29/06/06 AP e-mail approval

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-03/07/06 EAD e-mail approval (61 days)

-08/07/06 Recived AP doccuments

-10/07/06 EAD Arrives!!! Hooray

-15/07/06 USCIS letter recieved for AOS interview date

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-22/08/06 AOS Approved at interview (111 days)

-22/08/06 E-mails from USCIS Confirming AOS approval

-02/09/06 Condtional green card recieved in the mail!!!

-28/05/08 Mailed I-175 Petition to remove conditions

-02/06/08 Application recieved at CA!

-27/06/08 Biometrics

-15/08/08 Green Card recieved, good till 2018!!!

Note: Dates are in UK format because I'm (still) stubborn!!!

First of all, a little anecdote....my mother is Australian and married a US citizen while living in Bermuda, where they also drive on the left side of the road. When dad moved her to his hometown in Arkansas, mom was forced to start driving because they lived out in the country. So she started practicing on the dirt roads near their home. One day while practicing she came across her husband's elderly uncles approaching from the opposite direction in their vintage truck. Seeing that they were on the "wrong" side of the road, Mom stayed in her lane, trusting that they would move over. But the two old codgers were in fact driving on the right side of the road and knew she was in the wrong, so they proceeded, waiting for her to move over. This game of chicken finally ended when, as my great uncle put it, "Foot, I took to the ditch!" Mom was mortified and begged him not to tell anyone, but the story soon became family folklore, and my great uncle used to tell the story every time we went back to Arkansas for a visit!

My experiences with driving on the left side of the road in Australia:

1) Tendency to drive too close to the curb on the left.

2) Turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal because they are on opposite sides of the steering column from what I am used to.

3) I turned right at an intersection and ended up on the right side of the road...once. It was scary, but luckily easily corrected because I was on a quiet residential street with no median.

4) Those %^&$ roundabouts -- I'm not used to them and had to hesitate before jumping in, which made the drivers behind me really impatient. (This was in the Melbourne area; seemed like drivers in the countryside and also in Canberra were a lot more tolerant of confused tourists!)

I also drove on the left in the Solomon Islands while visiting my then fiance. Traffic there is laid back compared to Australia; but there were no traffic signals or signs whatsoever, just more &^%* roundabouts and lots of potholes when you get off the main road. But the fun part was I had a car with a manual transmission, which I am used too, but it felt really weird to be shifting on the left.

Advice for your wife -- practice in quiet residential areas or on country roads outside the city, because dealing with heavy traffic and driving on the other side of the road can be a daunting combination. Also when I was learning to drive, my dad used to take me to the mall parking lot on Sundays when they were closed. An empty (or near empty) parking lot might also be a good place for her to get comfortable with the controls on the car and practice making turns.

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:D It was always peculiar for me too. But then I moved from stick-shift to automatic, and it was easier after that. Aside from flashing oncoming traffic when my intention was to wash my windshield and vice versa, I usually tell myself that "the oncoming traffic is on the driver's side". I did end up on the wrong side of a highway once :wacko: but was lucky. I'm going on a visit to Jamaica in a bit, so some more re-adjusting is on the way ;) .

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg