Catracho

WIFE FAILED 1ST INTERVIEW

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

So, they didn't give my wife her CR-1 on her first interview. My father went all the way down there and took off work because I am in school, the return tickets were bought, and they said that they need my original birth certificate and divorce decree. #######? On the NVC packet 3 document, it says that it is not needed for this application. Did the embassy mess up? Or do they really need my original birth certificate and divorce decree? I'm absolutely at a loss for words. No wonder people come here illegally.

Edited by Catracho

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is that all they asked for? No other additional evidence of marriage or anything. Was she issued a blue or green sheet?

Go to the county records clerk and get a certified copy of your BC.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Timeline

Apparently, she already took the oath and signed everything too. Isn't this a little ridiculous to deny the whole thing based on a form that could easily be given over here or sent in later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Apparently, she already took the oath and signed everything too. Isn't this a little ridiculous to deny the whole thing based on a form that could easily be given over here or sent in later.

Did they keep her passport or give her any other information? If there were no other issues think of it as a delayed approval rather than a denial. Hopefully once they receive the required documents the visa will be issued. Good luck!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Did they keep her passport or give her any other information? If there were no other issues think of it as a delayed approval rather than a denial. Hopefully once they receive the required documents the visa will be issued. Good luck!

No, they didn't keep her passport. Yes, apparently once they get the documents they will call her and tell her to come back, yeah like the embassy is just a 5 minutes car ride away from her house... *sarcasm off*. This whole process is just absolutely ridiculous. You think this would have been spelled out (or even mentioned) in the NVC letter that they sent once they closed the case. So now, I have to spend another $600-$700 on a plane ticket to go down there and do this, and not to mention the other costs associated with bringing my wife from her village to the capitol, which over 8 hours away. There is just no common sense with the government. It's almost as if they do this just to see how much people want to be together, as if we have been faking it all along.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

So, they didn't give my wife her CR-1 on her first interview. My father went all the way down there and took off work because I am in school, the return tickets were bought, and they said that they need my original birth certificate and divorce decree. #######? On the NVC packet 3 document, it says that it is not needed for this application. Did the embassy mess up? Or do they really need my original birth certificate and divorce decree? I'm absolutely at a loss for words. No wonder people come here illegally.

The instructions say original birth certificate or notarized copy, same apply for the divorce decree.

Original Document Requirements

The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity).

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the alien, based upon the original registration of birth.

The certificate must contain the:

Person’s date of birth

Person’s place of birth

Names of both parents, and

Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records

Marriage Termination Documentation

Applicants who have been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of EACH prior marriage. Evidence must be in the form of original documents issued by a competent authority, or certified copies bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority, such as:

FINAL divorce decree

Death certificate

Annulment papers

Timeline

I was under the impression that I am not the applicant. I am the petitioner, and she is the applicant. The applicant is the one who fills out the DS-230 and signs it. Also, I was not accompanying her to the US anyways, as I am here, sooooo what exactly happened here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm under the impression that 'certified copies' of divorce decree on the USC, are to be presented on interview day, from reading the I-130 instructions.

Of course, it's a toss up on the USC birth certificate, though. No where does it say 'original or certified copy' to be presented on interview day.

Hey - it is what it is, they asked for it, you gotta provide it.

So - get it down there, asap. If she's allowed to 'hand it in' in person - that's a plus.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm under the impression that 'certified copies' of divorce decree on the USC, are to be presented on interview day, from reading the I-130 instructions.

Of course, it's a toss up on the USC birth certificate, though. No where does it say 'original or certified copy' to be presented on interview day.

Hey - it is what it is, they asked for it, you gotta provide it.

So - get it down there, asap. If she's allowed to 'hand it in' in person - that's a plus.

^Agree.

We had to provide a certified copy of my husband's (USC) divorce certificate to NVC and had an additional copy at the interview just in case.

Not sure what the deal is with the birth certificate.

The process is frustrating for sure, more so when you run into these problems. However, as Darnell posted, they want it, you have to provide it regardless of the inconvenience and cost to you. Unfortunately there is no alternative. Best of luck!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

No, they didn't keep her passport. Yes, apparently once they get the documents they will call her and tell her to come back, yeah like the embassy is just a 5 minutes car ride away from her house... *sarcasm off*. This whole process is just absolutely ridiculous. You think this would have been spelled out (or even mentioned) in the NVC letter that they sent once they closed the case. So now, I have to spend another $600-$700 on a plane ticket to go down there and do this, and not to mention the other costs associated with bringing my wife from her village to the capitol, which over 8 hours away. There is just no common sense with the government. It's almost as if they do this just to see how much people want to be together, as if we have been faking it all along.

Why do you have to go down there to give her the documents? Can't you mail them?

You mentioned in your first post that you already bought the return tickets; was that for her? VJ recommends that you do NOT buy plane tickets until the foreign beneficiary has the visa in hand because too many things can go array.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Lol at your last sentence. I hope everything works out for you man

Timeline

It's not that I have to go down there to give them the documents, I actually will be mailing them.However, it is VERY far from my wife's house to the capitol city. We have a 4month old son together, and that's why she needs me to accompany her back to the embassy. It's not safe for her to go alone all the way to the embassy. As far as the plane tickets, I bought them on a gamble knowing this could happen. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And it's not like that part is a big deal anyways. You can use a plane ticket for like up to a year after it is purchased. That is the least of my concerns right now.

Why do you have to go down there to give her the documents? Can't you mail them?

You mentioned in your first post that you already bought the return tickets; was that for her? VJ recommends that you do NOT buy plane tickets until the foreign beneficiary has the visa in hand because too many things can go array.

Just give what they ask then everything will be fine ...it happend to my interview they ask stuff that they didnt mention on our letter of appointment and it screwed up the ticket of 3 of us and cost us another $1,700...they are really happy to give people a hard time....

Edited by wilgrace

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.