laurenzi

airport processing times

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I too have had it take 25 to 30 minutes to clear the plane and then stood in line for baggage another 30 to 40 minutes. I have flown domestically through almost every major airport in the US at one point or another and have to say that just for a domestic flight change, give yourself at least 2 hours. International that is the minimum, so when you add in the potential of having 1 to 2 hours to clear immigration...... just something to consider.

.oO - Jake & Kathe - Oo.

the significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them - Einstein

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
thanks meauxna... i took your advice! ;)

Lucky damn baaastad you are, too! :crying:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

People need to remember that your luggage goes through Customs Inspection between the time it is offloaded from the Plane to the time that it goes on the carrosel. If there's a lot of luggage, more than one international flight at the same time, or something else that is holding up the customs check it may take longer to get your luggage. If you think the first time CBP takes a good look at your luggage is when you're walking through the checkpoints.. well I've got swampland to sell you in Florida.

You luggage is put through X-rays and other devices and sometimes even hand checked to see if you're smuggling things that are not permitted in the US before it ever his the conveyor in the terminal.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
People need to remember that your luggage goes through Customs Inspection between the time it is offloaded from the Plane to the time that it goes on the carrosel. If there's a lot of luggage, more than one international flight at the same time, or something else that is holding up the customs check it may take longer to get your luggage. If you think the first time CBP takes a good look at your luggage is when you're walking through the checkpoints.. well I've got swampland to sell you in Florida.

You luggage is put through X-rays and other devices and sometimes even hand checked to see if you're smuggling things that are not permitted in the US before it ever his the conveyor in the terminal.

d'oh!

I did not know that/consider it! (no swampland, please.. I'm doing the dry landscaping thing)

Warning: I do know that at some airports, luggage will be searched *after* you clear Customs and have re-checked to your connecting flight.

I bought a couple of those TSA approved padlocks for our last trip---they worked out well. Supposedly a little sensor will change color if the locks were opened by TSA, but ours showed no change through this trip. At $7-10 each, they were a good investment!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you're coming through LAX, you need to allow at least twice as much time as you think you'll need - they stack up the incoming planes so there are three or four different loads of people coming through customs at the same time, and even though there are about a dozen different immigration officials working, you can expect to spend at LEAST an hour standing in the line before you get to the front... (not to mention the 30 minutes of walking it takes to get to the immigration center from the gate your plane arrives at)

Last time I came through there were a bunch of people trying to get a connecting flight to the West coast some place, and the airport people came through and gathered them up and took them to the front of the line because otherwise they'd never have made their flight. They came through a few times calling people out for different flights, so they're at least partially aware of who has to go where...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

For some reason my luggage seems to invite inspection. I get love letters from TSA quite frequently letting me know they hand searched my bags.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
For some reason my luggage seems to invite inspection. I get love letters from TSA quite frequently letting me know they hand searched my bags.

LOL :lol:

I've gotten those before!

The only time I had problems with customs, was one trip back from Thailand I didn't list anyting on the customs declaration form. They did everything short of strip searching me!!! Always be sure to list something on the customs form, even if its just a T-shirt or some other clothes. Tends to raise less suspicion.

I go through LAX all the time, but luckily only on domestic flights. Sounds like their international flights suck. I'll keep that in mind now that I'm having to move back to the mailand.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just my 2 cents.

Since December 2005

5 trips to St Petersburg (1 on time)

2 to Paris (1 on time)

1 to Punta Cana (on time)

6 round trip domestic flights from/ to PHL 1 on time

All bets are off into philly

my last 3 flights to St Petersburg (2 x May,1 x June)from Philly were delayed 1.5~2.5 hours.

Arriving 1~2 hrs late

1 thru frankfort (lufthansa) 2 thru Paris (Air France missed connections)

JUST made my connection in Frankfort.

Pilots all tried to make up the time jet stream and all.

Last flight to Paris (April) 1.5 hrs late. (1 before right on time)

ALL Paris to PHL flights were late up two 2 hours.

Usually wait time thru IMS 20-30 min.

Luggage - Up to 25 min

Customs - walk thru hand card

Remember SO has to get processed

How good is SO english?

My SO speaks pretty good english/french/spanish and I would still meet her at POE

Imagine no language skills, new country, at least 10 hours flying and making a connection?

Or a missed connection.

Am I not feeling the love?

Edited by John and Anna

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have flown back into the US about 13 times in the last 4 years. My times:

Get off plane 5-15 minutes. (It often seems like forever if you're in the back of a 747. Try to be on a smaller plane like an A330 if time matters to you.)

Passport check (not immigrating) - extremely variable - 5 to 45 min.

Luggage - If a long immigration line, then there when I get there. If immigration is fast, then usually no more than 15-20 minutes.

To this point - ususally about an hour.

Customs - never more than 3 minutes. (Maybe I just look honest? I've never been checked.)

Recheck luggage (at International terminal) - extremely variable, depending on the airport. Chicago used to be bad, but is now MUCH better. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland (Oregon) all under 10 minutes.

International to Domestic - Chicago - fast, frequent monorail; Portland - no delay at all! Los Angeles can be bad because of different terminals. But if you're going from International (about terminal 4) to a higher numbered terminal, you can get on any of the car rental shuttles, and just get off at the right terminal. Backtracking to terminals 1-3 is 10 minutes max. if you walk fast.

Domestic check in - you should not have to do this. Get your domestic boarding pass when you check in for your international flight.

Domestic security line - use the following web site to check the security time for your terminal based on time of day, day of week. Then add 10-15 minutes, just in case. With people checking more bags these days, it may go even faster.

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/stateResolver?...p;submit=SUBMIT

Bottom line: I may allow a 2.5-3.0 hour connect time. But I usually make it in under 1.5 hours, and sometimes get on an earlier flight if there is frequent service.

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
I have flown back into the US about 13 times in the last 4 years. My times:

Get off plane 5-15 minutes. (It often seems like forever if you're in the back of a 747. Try to be on a smaller plane like an A330 if time matters to you.)

Passport check (not immigrating) - extremely variable - 5 to 45 min.

Luggage - If a long immigration line, then there when I get there. If immigration is fast, then usually no more than 15-20 minutes.

To this point - ususally about an hour.

Customs - never more than 3 minutes. (Maybe I just look honest? I've never been checked.)

Recheck luggage (at International terminal) - extremely variable, depending on the airport. Chicago used to be bad, but is now MUCH better. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland (Oregon) all under 10 minutes.

International to Domestic - Chicago - fast, frequent monorail; Portland - no delay at all! Los Angeles can be bad because of different terminals. But if you're going from International (about terminal 4) to a higher numbered terminal, you can get on any of the car rental shuttles, and just get off at the right terminal. Backtracking to terminals 1-3 is 10 minutes max. if you walk fast.

Domestic check in - you should not have to do this. Get your domestic boarding pass when you check in for your international flight.

Domestic security line - use the following web site to check the security time for your terminal based on time of day, day of week. Then add 10-15 minutes, just in case. With people checking more bags these days, it may go even faster.

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/stateResolver?...p;submit=SUBMIT

Bottom line: I may allow a 2.5-3.0 hour connect time. But I usually make it in under 1.5 hours, and sometimes get on an earlier flight if there is frequent service.

Great web site!!

I will add one on flight delays

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

We will need another genius to add up the times.

Time to go to the beach, roi. :)

:yes: time to do some laundry brother... :thumbs:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Has anybody been through JFK on a Saturday afternoon? I have 3 hours between my flights, do you think this is enough?

I-129F SENT TO CSC 01/31/2006

I-129F NOA1 RECEIVED 02/02/2006

touched 04/25/2006

NOA2 04/25/2006

touched 04/26/2006

NVC received case 05/11/2006

Left NVC 05/12/2006

medical 06/06/2006

Packet 3 received 05/30/2006

returned packet 3 05/31/2006

Interview date 07/18/2006

Approved...yeahhhh

07/21/2006 Received visa...WOOOOHOOOO

09/24/2006 marrying my baby yeahhhhhhhh

.png

115194159098768.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.