Ban Hammer

Drowning looks different than you think

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Think drowning involves screaming, gasping, and flailing? Think it’s easy to notice someone drowning? Well, you’re wrong. Drowning is a silent killer. There’s no splashing, waving, or calling for help of any kind. It's not like what you see on TV. Many people would not even notice another person drowning at just 30 yards away. Read on for tips on how to keep yourself and those you love safe from this silent killer whether at the beach or in your backyard pool.

The Facts About this Silent Killer

The Instinctive Drowning Response, a term coined by Francesco A. Pia, Ph.D., is what people instinctively do to avoid suffocation when drowning. The responses to drowning are undramatic and surprisingly quiet. Drownings are the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4. Even scarier is that in a small but significant percentage of kids' drownings, an adult will have watched the whole process, not having a clue what was happening (Source:CDC).

Drowning Doesn't Look Like What You'd Expect

Dr. Pia, in an article entitled "It Doesn't Look Like They're Drowning" featured in the Coast Guard’s On Scene Magazine (Fall 06), describes the typical drowning response as follows: "Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. The respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled before speech occurs. Drowning people’s mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouth of a drowning person is not above the surface of the water long enough to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning person’s mouth is above the surface, she exhales and inhales quickly as her mouth starts to sink below the surface of the water. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water’s surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people’s bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs."

Signs of Drowning

Watch for these signs the next time you’re swimming with your kids or others:

* Head low in the water, mouth at water level

* Head tilted back with open mouth

* Hair over forehead or eyes

* Eyes glassy, empty and unable to focus

* Eyes closed

* Hyperventilating or gasping

* Not using legs

* Body is vertical and upright

* Trying to swim in a certain direction but not making progress

* Trying to roll over on the back

Stay Aware to Save a Life

Keep your eyes open for any oddities because even when things seem ok, they may not be. A good way to be sure is to ask your kid or the person you’re swimming with if he or she is all right. If they are rather still, do not answer or have a blank stare, then you may have less than 30 seconds to get to them! As any parent knows, kids make noise in the water. If they are not making noise, find out why and get them out of the water ASAP.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The worst part is someone can drown next to you and you may not know it until it's too late.

You wouldn't leave a gun a on table for a kid to find but people don't always secure their swimming pools and kids die that way.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

I plan to do with my kids what my parents did to me and my brothers. We all learned how to swim at age 2, and had swimming lessons till we were about 10. We were taught how to deal with the beach and waves from an early age, and we all love water. That way my parents were always at ease with us and swimming pools or the beach.

My husband can't swim and it's one point we argue about since I think he should learn at all costs and he simply says he's too old to learn now.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I don't know how often it results in drowning, but kids seem to enjoy ducking each other/holding onto each other around the neck etc - I never allow it when I am watching them, but they all try to do it.

Oh, and yes, totally agree, swimming lessons from a young age, both for pool swimming and open water. :thumbs:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

I plan to do with my kids what my parents did to me and my brothers. We all learned how to swim at age 2, and had swimming lessons till we were about 10. We were taught how to deal with the beach and waves from an early age, and we all love water. That way my parents were always at ease with us and swimming pools or the beach.

My husband can't swim and it's one point we argue about since I think he should learn at all costs and he simply says he's too old to learn now.

i agree he should learn. it's a good thing to know.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

i agree he should learn. it's a good thing to know.

His mother is the alarmist type and instilled her fear of water onto him since he was a little kid. She never gave him or his sisters the chance to learn, so now none of them do.

Edited by Ladylethal

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

His mother is the alarmist type and instilled her fear of water onto him since he was a little kid. She never gave him or his sisters the chance to learn, so now none of them do.

point out to him that when you have kids, it's his job to teach them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

LOL, knowing my husband he'll say that job is mine, as I'm the one good with water between us.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

The worst part is someone can drown next to you and you may not know it until it's too late.

You wouldn't leave a gun a on table for a kid to find but people don't always secure their swimming pools and kids die that way.

Yet nobody wants to ban swimming pools....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is huge. Mr. Owl and I lived in Mexico for some months at a very dangerous beach, and it was a constant struggle to understand who was in trouble and who wasn't. The volunteer Mexican lifeguard force was really really good--the rest of us would have no idea what they were going after until we saw them dragging a limp body to shore.

It's illusive and elusive. People just fade away. So many times, I'd be tending bar and a guy would roll up from the sand all shaken and exhausted and say, "I almost didn't make it." None of us would have any idea what he was talking about, even though we had the same view of the ocean as everyone else. You just don't see it.

Also, people told me stories of having people tug them down or wrestle with them when they were trying to rescue--drowning people also need to know How to Be Saved. Don't fight it, for one.

There were four drownings in the week prior to our arrival.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Timeline

Also, people told me stories of having people tug them down or wrestle with them when they were trying to rescue--drowning people also need to know How to Be Saved. Don't fight it, for one.

They aren't "fighting" anything. It's an instinct they can't control. Imminent death and no air tends to trump reason.

Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.
Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They aren't "fighting" anything. It's an instinct they can't control. Imminent death and no air tends to trump reason.

Mm, no. It's an instinct but if there's a little education prior, it's not uncontrollable. You can teach yourself to respond to lifesaving maneuvers rather than resist them.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Timeline

Mm, no. It's an instinct but if there's a little education prior, it's not uncontrollable. You can teach yourself to respond to lifesaving maneuvers rather than resist them.

If they were trained they wouldn't be drowning would they?

If you're drowning how do you know someone is going to rescue you in the nick of time?

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif