charity masters

I-134 Questions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

ok, so we are using a co-sponsor.....and i understand that i need to fill out my own I-134.

but....i have no proof (taxes, etc.) of bringing in income for the past 3 years or so.... as i have been working under the table,and being supported by my parents, and not making that much at all.

i am wondering if i have to show any kind of proof of income/not having any?

or simply filling out the form, and stating that i have been supported by my parents.....?

thanks for the help everyone!

Timeline

ok, so we are using a co-sponsor.....and i understand that i need to fill out my own I-134.

but....i have no proof (taxes, etc.) of bringing in income for the past 3 years or so.... as i have been working under the table,and being supported by my parents, and not making that much at all.

or simply filling out the form, and stating that i have been supported by my parents.....?

From what I have understood so far, here is my plan:

Claim $0 income on my I-134 (I can't have made any income if I didn't file taxes)

Write a letter explaining how I have made no taxable income in these last years but rather have lived on savings and such in order to show why I didn't have to file taxes.

We'll see how it works! Hopefully it's not a crime to have enjoyed yourself in Peru for a couple of years without ever having a real job!

Claim $0 income on my I-134 (I can't have made any income if I didn't file taxes)

Write a letter explaining how I have made no taxable income in these last years but rather have lived on savings and such in order to show why I didn't have to file taxes.

We'll see how it works! Hopefully it's not a crime to have enjoyed yourself in Peru for a couple of years without ever having a real job!

You might want to reconsider this, unless you have something to back it up. In the instructions for the I134, they ask for a letter from your bank listing among other things the amount of money that you have deposited in the past year.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You are entering in an area of possibly making misrepresentations to the DoS at the Embassy/Consulate. This is a serious crime if determined to be material misrepresentations. It is against the Terms of Service for this web site to allow any member to suggest or endorse doing something like some of your suggestions.

This should not be done.

Normally I write Good luck. But NOT in this case.

The only proper thing to do is to go back and file taxes on your income and make a proper accounting of yourself.

Good luck.

Edited by Audy_Rob

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

You might want to reconsider this, unless you have something to back it up. In the instructions for the I134, they ask for a letter from your bank listing among other things the amount of money that you have deposited in the past year.

Hmmm. Now you're suggesting that one should back up the fact that he hasn't made money some sort of document? What kind of letter would I need for that? Perhaps the letters that I am already including which show that I have been studying in different places of these last couple of years? Also, no surprise--I live in Peru, and all my important bank accounts are in Peru, but they won't be considered by the I-134. My US bank account will have less than $50 (if not $0) when I get to the interview date.

Timeline

You are entering in an area of possibly making misrepresentations to the DoS at the Embassy/Consulate. This is a serious crime if determined to be material misrepresentations. It is against the Terms of Service for this web site to allow any member to suggest or endorse doing something like some of your suggestions.

This should not be done.

Normally I write Good luck. But NOT in this case.

The only proper thing to do is to go back and file taxes on your income and make a proper accounting of yourself.

Good luck.

Try not to jump to conclusions. First you say "possibly making misrepresentations" and then you say "this should not be done." Somewhere in the middle, did you draw your conclusion. The only thing that I can see which could possibly be considered as misrepresentation is what the OP called "under the table" income. Have you ever been outside of the

US? Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Then you should know that not all things work the way they do in the US. On the one hand, you don't get W-2s here. On the other hand, the income is probably so neglible that the plane ticket itself (travel expenses) would set off the entire difference making the income tax deductible, and hence, no taxable income and $0 on the I-134. Tourism and studying are not illegal activities. It's not illegal for one to be supported by his/her parents. Please don't jump to conclusions. It is outrageous, in my opinion, for you to suggest that someone has not given a proper accounting of himself when you know so very little about his situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello, I just want to let you know my experience which is quite similar to yours and i could bring my fiance to the US. First I am a graduate student and I recently had a baby so for the past two years i haven not work and I just been going to college and taking care of my child. Therefore, when I did the I-134 I put there that I had $0 income. I included my school transcripts and loans information to proof I am a student and I do not work. They I had to find a co-sponsor with a good income that would cover my fiance, my daughter, and myself, the sponsor, and whoever that depends on the co-sponsor... in other words it can be done you just need to have a co-sponsor who can show that they intent to support for fiancee when moving to the US. It is not illegal for you not working you just need to do things right and show proof...I hope this help and good luck!

Timeline

Hello, I just want to let you know my experience which is quite similar to yours and i could bring my fiance to the US. First I am a graduate student and I recently had a baby so for the past two years i haven not work and I just been going to college and taking care of my child. Therefore, when I did the I-134 I put there that I had $0 income. I included my school transcripts and loans information to proof I am a student and I do not work. They I had to find a co-sponsor with a good income that would cover my fiance, my daughter, and myself, the sponsor, and whoever that depends on the co-sponsor... in other words it can be done you just need to have a co-sponsor who can show that they intent to support for fiancee when moving to the US. It is not illegal for you not working you just need to do things right and show proof...I hope this help and good luck!

Thank you so much for this info. Did you get asked any specific questions about your cosponsor? Mine is my brother and he has sent me the appropriate paperwork, but no explanation about specifically wanting to sponsor my fiancee. Is such a letter necessary, or is it the I-134 that is most important?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you so much for this info. Did you get asked any specific questions about your cosponsor? Mine is my brother and he has sent me the appropriate paperwork, but no explanation about specifically wanting to sponsor my fiancee. Is such a letter necessary, or is it the I-134 that is most important?

No no letter required, only a letter verification where your brother works that shows he works there and salary ect... his income tax of the last 3 years and his check stubs and bank accounts. Yes the I-134 is the most important document that your fiancee needs to provide in her interview.... Good luck again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Try not to jump to conclusions. First you say "possibly making misrepresentations" and then you say "this should not be done." Somewhere in the middle, did you draw your conclusion. The only thing that I can see which could possibly be considered as misrepresentation is what the OP called "under the table" income. Have you ever been outside of the

US? Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Then you should know that not all things work the way they do in the US. On the one hand, you don't get W-2s here. On the other hand, the income is probably so neglible that the plane ticket itself (travel expenses) would set off the entire difference making the income tax deductible, and hence, no taxable income and $0 on the I-134. Tourism and studying are not illegal activities. It's not illegal for one to be supported by his/her parents. Please don't jump to conclusions. It is outrageous, in my opinion, for you to suggest that someone has not given a proper accounting of himself when you know so very little about his situation.

I was replying to the original OP, not you.

It is possibly going to be a misrep if they/you follow through on the claim.

If they/you have worked outside of the US, they/you are still required to file the US tax forms. The income may all be non-taxable but that does not mean you are free from filing taxes. I do not jump to conclusions. You have laid it all quite plainly, " (I can't have made any income if I didn't file taxes)."

Al Capone said something similar as he was sent to prison for tax evasion.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Take a look at the law. A single person who is not a dependent can earn as much as $9,350 and still NOT be required to taxes. Perhaps you don't JUMP to conclusions, but a quick read on the IRS website will show you that you make WRONG conclusions.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

I know that you were talking to the original poster. I made no mention to myself or my scenario in the post that you quoted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Take a look at the law. A single person who is not a dependent can earn as much as $9,350 and still NOT be required to taxes. Perhaps you don't JUMP to conclusions, but a quick read on the IRS website will show you that you make WRONG conclusions.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

I know that you were talking to the original poster. I made no mention to myself or my scenario in the post that you quoted.

I think he was talking about the "working under the table" comment, which is usually a euphemism for working without reporting the income. The OP did say they were "not making that much", but never specifically said it wasn't enough to require filing a tax return. Regardless, unless they were specifically excluded they would still be required to pay Social Security taxes, and possibly other taxes, depending on where they lived. Even if they were self-employed or working as a consultant, and receiving only cash payments, they would still be required to keep records of their income, possibly to file a quarterly tax return, and in many places they'd be required to obtain a business license. The term "working under the table" implies none of this was done.

Seriously, people do this all the time. In most cases, there's no real harm done. A buddy gives you $50 for helping him pack and move his stuff to a new apartment. A friend gives you $20 for babysitting their kid for the evening. Strictly speaking, if someone buys you lunch for helping him with his yard work then you've been paid. Does anyone really expect this income to be reported and taxes paid on it? Of course not. By the same token, you wouldn't try to make this income appear legitimate for some other purpose (obtaining a loan, or signing an affidavit of support) unless you ALSO report it and pay any taxes owed.

The answer to the OP's question is that they need to consider how much money they made, and whether it would be subject to any taxes. If so, then they should file the appropriate returns, pay any taxes owed, and declare it on the affidavit of support. If not, write a statement explaining why no tax returns were filed and submit the statement with the I-134.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

to clear things up for all of you, I have not filed taxes for the past 2 years because I have not reached the income level that i need to attain before i need to file federal income taxes. My income was not sufficient to require that I file a return.

For the Past 2 years I have been living off of savings and have had help financially from my parents and family. the "under the table" that was mentioned was...yes....little bits here and there. definitely not enought to file for taxes.

here is a copy of the letter that i will be attaching to my I-134, let me know what you think it needs etc.

I-134 SUPPLEMENT / EXPLENATION:

I Charity Masters am not able to take on the Full responsibility of Providing 100% of the financial support that Jimmy-Elvis Guevara Tananata needs at this time, so I am having "name of co-sponsor"

be the Joint/Co- sponsor for this I-134 affidavit of support.

I Charity Masters have not filed taxes for the past 2 years because I have not reached the income level that i need to attain before i need to file federal income taxes. My income was not sufficient to require that I file a return.

For the Past 2 years I have been living off of savings and have had help financially from my parents and family.

I am currently working on starting my own Aromatherapy and Herb-ology Store, And if all goes well I believe MY income will improve substantially in the foreseeable future. We understand that marriage is a big step and brings many responsibilities with it!

We appreciate your review of this paper and we await your approval.

Sincerely,

Charity Masters

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.