narzel

filing adjustment of status for wife and child

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

about to file adjustment of status for my wife and stepdaughter when i send in the payment do i send in 2 separate checks or 1 check for both ...also when filing the advanced parole if we dont have a scheduled date to go back and visit how do we proceed with the filing do we just put any date in ???? and change it later?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! You can issue one check for the processing. I would think if they haven't updated the fees, it would be about $1610 - $1010 for your wife and $600 for your stepchild.

For the advanced parole, I indicated an estimate of about 4 months from the date of filing our projected departure date. We don't have any definite date to go to the Philippines but this is simply a good estimate for us.

Hope this helps.

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

about to file adjustment of status for my wife and stepdaughter when i send in the payment do i send in 2 separate checks or 1 check for both ...also when filing the advanced parole if we dont have a scheduled date to go back and visit how do we proceed with the filing do we just put any date in ???? and change it later?

SEND ONE CHECK!

Ok, you're allowed to pay with two checks, but there's a solid reason for sending only one in some cases. If there's a problem with an AOS petition then they'll send it back to you. If you sent multiple petitions, and if you include a separate check for each one, then they'll only send back the petition that has the problem, along with the check for that petition. However, if you paid for all of the petitions with a single check, then they'll send ALL of the petitions back, along with the one check. Most of the time, when a petition is returned before being accepted by USCIS, it's usually for something simple, like an incomplete form, a missing document, or a missed signature. It's easy enough to correct.

Now, the AOS fee for a child under 14 is only $600, but ONLY if the child's petition is submitted concurrently with the parent's petition. If they aren't submitted concurrently then the fee for the child is $1010, just like the parent's.

Let's look at what happens if you pay with two checks. If the parent's petition is returned, and the child is deriving status from the parent, then the child's petition will also be returned - the child can't adjust status without the parent. If the child's petition is returned, but there are no problems with the parent's petition, then only the child's petition will be returned - the parent's petition will be accepted and the check for that petition will be cashed. You can fix whatever is wrong with the child's petition and send it back, BUT the fee will now be $1010 because the petition is no longer being submitted concurrently with the parent's petition. In this case, it might be better to have gotten both petitions back so that both could be resubmitted at the same time. Paying with one check will ensure that the petitions are either both accepted or both returned.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I sent one check and they cashed it no problem.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
...also when filing the advanced parole if we dont have a scheduled date to go back and visit how do we proceed with the filing do we just put any date in ???? and change it later?

Do NOT LIE on an official document. people listing "guess" dates, or putting dates when there are no set plans are LYING on their forms.

Put "unknown" in each field. it is not a problem. They know it's supposed to be an emergency document for most people anyway so there's no point in putting a date unless you actually HAVE a known date. I put unknown and haven't had any issues so far **knock on wood** and neither has anyone else I know who wrote unknown.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.