brucester

Cannot Locate Criminal History Record!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My fiancee and her daughter arrived just fine, fiancee and I got married, all is well. In the course of assembling documents which I am getting ready to submit, we realized that she either left her copy of her official criminal history in processing at Houston International Airport, or perhaps did not have one. I have tried in vain contacting USCIS to find out about getting a copy of the document and its transalation from them. Talk to walls, more satisfying. We are out of time on July 7, 2010.

Any thoughts? I am tempted to submit all other docments and just state the criminal history record is on file and the copy was left at IAH in the interview room.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee and her daughter arrived just fine, fiancee and I got married, all is well. In the course of assembling documents which I am getting ready to submit, we realized that she either left her copy of her official criminal history in processing at Houston International Airport, or perhaps did not have one. I have tried in vain contacting USCIS to find out about getting a copy of the document and its transalation from them. Talk to walls, more satisfying. We are out of time on July 7, 2010.

Any thoughts? I am tempted to submit all other docments and just state the criminal history record is on file and the copy was left at IAH in the interview room.

not required for the I-485 submission for adjustment from K-1

moving to AOS forum

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Are you wanting to file I-485, adjusting status from K-1 visa ?

official criminal history - not required, already gathered up in the 'casefile handover' at the POE.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Are you wanting to file I-485, adjusting status from K-1 visa ?

official criminal history - not required, already gathered up in the 'casefile handover' at the POE.

Thanks, I hope you are correct. That is exactly what I need to do - file 485 etc. What you say is true, instructions and personnel that chatter away say otherwise. though. I am going to quote "submitted during casefile handover at POE" should questions arise. I appreciate it!

Edited by brucester

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, I hope you are correct. That is exactly what I need to do - file 485 etc. What you say is true, instructions and personnel that chatter away say otherwise. though. I am going to quote "submitted during casefile handover at POE" should questions arise. I appreciate it!

What are you reading in the I-485 instructions lead you to believe you might need it?

Considering I prepared my wife and child's I-485... I am quite certain that the police clearance is not needed because I did not include it...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Personnel say otherwise ? REALLY ? Post name and phone # here, Happy to call to set them straight.

Many VJ members follow this guide, instead --> http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

If you are seeing specific instructions , on gov printed forms - check the expiration date and form number - you may be, actually, looking at the wrong thing for your case. Maybe.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

AOS K1 Visa running out of time

and

We are out of time on July 7, 2010.

Uhmmmm. No. You are not.

There is regulation to marry, coming in on a K-1 visa, within 90 days of POE date.

THERE IS NO REGULATION to file AOS within 90 days of POE date.

THERE IS NO REGULATION to file AOS prior to K-1 visa expiration date, either.

THERE IS NO REGULATION to file AOS prior to I-94 expiration date, either.

USCIS will tell you - 'file it as soon as possible'. and that's it.

MANY ppl do not file immediately after marriage, and file at the 6 month mark, without any issues. I think you might be freaking out, thinking that she's OUT OF STATUS after 7 July.

You should relax, have an easy Sunday afternoon, stop fretting this stuff.

Seriously.

Edited by Darnell

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Please read the I-485 instructions again. A criminal history is ONLY required if you HAVE a criminal record (and then it's court details).

PLease read the AOS thread mentioned in my signature which should set you on the right path.

Also, as stated, there is no "filing for AOS deadline". It's better to do it BEFORE the I-94 expires, but it is not necessary. (please check my timeline which will show MY I-94 expired Dec 11, 2009 and I sent AOS April 14th, 2010)

Timeline

Please read the I-485 instructions again. A criminal history is ONLY required if you HAVE a criminal record (and then it's court details).

PLease read the AOS thread mentioned in my signature which should set you on the right path.

Also, as stated, there is no "filing for AOS deadline". It's better to do it BEFORE the I-94 expires, but it is not necessary. (please check my timeline which will show MY I-94 expired Dec 11, 2009 and I sent AOS April 14th, 2010)

Thanks to Vanessa and Tony and to all who have replied. Starting to relax a bit. I am getting ready to file the adjustment of status for K1 and K2 child, work permit for my fiancee (now wife), etc. I probably saw the advice that the criminal record(copy) was required somewhere in some form, or on one of the guides here. I tend to take things too literally and am a bit of a by the book guy.

I stress out way too easily. A USCIS guy told me I sure needed it, and whoa Nellie! Anyway, the government is the department of redundancy department, I know that, but common sense should be found somewhere. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.