Milva

Vacation during Citizenship Process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

We would like to start the process for my husband to become a citizen (we have been married over 3 years) in June and it is our understanding that the processing time for our area is about 6 months.... We are planning to go to Argentina in January or February of next year.... should we wait until we come back or can we travel at the time the process is on going? What happends if the process is delayed? innocent.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We would like to start the process for my husband to become a citizen (we have been married over 3 years) in June and it is our understanding that the processing time for our area is about 6 months.... We are planning to go to Argentina in January or February of next year.... should we wait until we come back or can we travel at the time the process is on going? What happends if the process is delayed? innocent.gif

you can travel, you just update the USCIS with the new dates at the interview

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can travel, just keep your dates open though in case you get called in for the interview or oath during your trip. Might be better just to wait till when you get back, but if you can be flexible with your flights and trip then might not hurt to apply now and hope that maybe you can get it done before you leave. If not, just be prepared to switch dates of your trip with short notice so you can be present for the interview and/or oath...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You can travel, just keep your dates open though in case you get called in for the interview or oath during your trip. Might be better just to wait till when you get back, but if you can be flexible with your flights and trip then might not hurt to apply now and hope that maybe you can get it done before you leave. If not, just be prepared to switch dates of your trip with short notice so you can be present for the interview and/or oath...

I was in the same situation last year, so I decided to go on vacation to Italy (my native country)last March/April and a month later I was back from my trip, I started the N-400 process, I did want to enjoy my vacation without constantly thinking about what was going on with my process, or whatever.I hope my personal experience can help u in way to decide what to do!!!!

Good luck , whatever u decide!!!!:-)))

I was in the same situation last year, so I decided to go on vacation to Italy (my native country)last March/April and a month later I was back from my trip, I started the N-400 process, I did want to enjoy my vacation without constantly thinking about what was going on with my process, or whatever.I hope my personal experience can help u in way to decide what to do!!!!

Good luck , whatever u decide!!!!:-)))

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Wait until you are back from your trip so that you won't have to worry about the interview appointment. Oh . . . and now that he's all grown up, let him do his own N-400. It's his naturalization, not yours. He's the petitioner, not you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.