tk94110

Can I travel abroad during naturalization process?

9 posts in this topic

After I apply for naturalization and before it is approved, is there any period in which I must stay in the U.S.?

You can travel, but it is not recommended.

First, you have to disclose "new" travel record to interview officer, and oath ceremony officer.

So it should not break your residency requirement for interview and/or oath ceremony.

Second, you may have received notice from USCIS while traveling.

In that case, if you can not make your appointment scheduled, it may delay significant amount of time for your whole naturalization process and headache to go through USCIS communication.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
After I apply for naturalization and before it is approved, is there any period in which I must stay in the U.S.?

As long as you maintain the residency requirements/days out of the country etc & have someone monitering your mail for correspondence from the USCIS while you are away, there is no reason not to travel after submitting your N-400.

Since submitting my N-400 I have traveled internationally three times, also travel & work commitments even made it necessary for me to request my interview rescheduled. It has been a year since I submitted my N-400 - I refused to put my life on hold while my paperwork sat in a pile somewhere.

The only time you cannot travel during this process is, ironically, immediately after your oath ceremony. At that point, you become the same as any American citizen without a passport. So, for the two/three weeks or however long it takes to process your passport application, you will be unable to travel internationally.

So, enjoy your trip!

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So, enjoy your trip!

When was the last time you heard that after checking in at the airport? Especially since they have added all those people to make your trip as miserable as possible.

My latest means of compensation is not to eat or drink anything 24 hours in advance at arriving at the airport. On the theory that if nothing goes in, nothing will come out, you don't even have that privilege anymore when nature calls.

When I finally do board the plane, swear each time the distance between the seats has been closed another couple of inches. But anyway, enjoy your trip.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Just wanted to clarify this.

So if you have your oath ceremony and then need to fly internationally, you cant do so until you have your US passport.?

So you would not be able to come back in to the US on your ( in my case) UK passport ? Is that because the greencard is taken away from you at the Oath?

Just wondering as this could cause me serious problems around Christmas time.

If this is the case, how long does it normally take to get passport, and is there any way to speed up the process perhaps?

thanks

Jelly

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So if you have your oath ceremony and then need to fly internationally, you cant do so until you have your US passport.?

So you would not be able to come back in to the US on your ( in my case) UK passport ? Is that because the greencard is taken away from you at the Oath?

If this is the case, how long does it normally take to get passport, and is there any way to speed up the process perhaps?

thanks

Jelly

US Law requires US Citizens to have a US passport upon their leaving and entering the US. So yes, you would not be permitted to enter the US on your UK Passport.

If you need to leave, you can apply for expidited passport processing (takes 2 weeks) or you can go to a Passport Agency (10 cities around the US) and get a US passport the same day with proof of travel within 14 days. There are agencies that will go to the Passport Agency for you for a fee.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

thanks

Jelly

Yes you are correct after the oath you don't have the greencard anymore and you have to exit/enter the US on a US passport since you will be a citizenship. You can get a passport within days. You usually have to travel to the nearest true passport office though for that. And they will need proof that you need it expidiated. Like your ticket. But there are also firms out there that promise to do it in 3 days or less. You have to pay a little extra though.

AusCal-

Agree with your philosophy, luckily the process time has been quick for us though. I was worried our interview would land over the christmas holidays when we are back in SA. But there was no way I was going to postpone a trip just on the off chance of a conflict. But just curious, how long does it take them to get back to you with a new interview date. I have only heard from people saying that it will take forever, no one with actual experience.

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
AusCal-

Agree with your philosophy, luckily the process time has been quick for us though. I was worried our interview would land over the christmas holidays when we are back in SA. But there was no way I was going to postpone a trip just on the off chance of a conflict. But just curious, how long does it take them to get back to you with a new interview date. I have only heard from people saying that it will take forever, no one with actual experience.

Err - I don't know how long it takes for them to get back with an interview date - my interview was scheduled for 8th Sept, 2008. I wrote in early August requesting it to be rescheduled, and with my reasons. I know my letter has been received (due to USPS DC), but, have not heard back - considering my priority date was early Sept, 2007, and my field office is LA - who knows how long it will take - I'll keep you updated :-)

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.