Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

The pregnant lady is annoyed today. This is likely my last week at work, and the things I need to have wrapped up before I go out are not going to plan (by no fault of mine), so there's going to be tons of loose ends left that I cannot control. I'll probably be getting called and asked questions while I'm out.

My parents have decided if I'm not dilated at my appt tomorrow (I am to call them immediately after the appt!), they're going to ####### off on a 3-4 day vacation. :lol: I'm 38 weeks, but hey, do whatever you want. I'll just have to find hubby alternate arrangements to the hospital (we only have one car so if I go while I'm at work...!). I'm quite sure they didn't do this when my sister was pg both times. What was wrong with last week - or two weeks ago?? Makes me feel about *this* important.

I'm still PETRIFIED of the idea of labor (drugs or no - I still have to suffer for several hours before we can go to the hospital), but yet, I feel so fat, tired, inflated, immobile, swollen and miserable that I'm ready not to be pg anymore. I literally look like I have an over inflated beach ball under my shirt at this point.

Wah! LOL

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Aw, Tracy. It'll be over soon. Sadly, nothing you can do about the 'rents. Just have to let them do what they want to do, despite the fact that it hurts you. May as well get used to it now, as in my experience once you have kids, parents, but moms in particular, have this way of really making you feel *this* big pretty much all the time. Hopefully, that won't be the case for you. I just find that my mom undermines pretty much everything I do as a parent. Its really frustrating for me.

However, I can be totally positive in talking about labor and delivery!!! I had 3 miserable pregancies. Hated being pregnant!!! So much, I always look back and try to figure out why I went on to have 2 more after the fisrt!! :blink: Selective amnesia, I've decided. :lol:

Like you, I felt sick and crappy pretty much the whole time for a 3 kids, but man, labor & delivery was not too bad! REALLY! And I basically threw out all that huffy, puffy breathing advice they taught in birthing classes. I found that trying to keep my breathing calm and steady really helped me from freaking out. Also, rather than using something external to focus on, I pretty much kept my eyes closed and focused "internally" to block out what was happening around me. I just found these methods really helped to keep me calm and better able to cope with labor. Once you get to the pushing phase, it rerally is true that your body instinctively knows what to do. And the pushing phase of labor really isn't terrible at all! Just think - you are that much closer to meeting your baby and the end of pregancy!! Woohooo all the way around!!!

You can totally do this! Seriously, do what feels best for you. Don't let others influence whether or not you want drugs or whatever to get you through. This is your body and your baby we're talking about, so YOU get to make the decisions.

No I know you're right about the 'rents. I just can't help but compare how they were with my sister's pregnancies and now mine. Totally different ballgame. I guess it's the novelty of the first grandchildren that I am not lucky enough to have had. It's pretty much old hat to them at this point. At least Chas' mum is EXCITED but she is 4000 miles away.

I guess I just thought at 38 weeks, I'd be happy and a little more settled about everything - not scared and just frazzled beyond belief. This week of work may nearly kill me. It's stressing me out and I'm tired on top of it so it's probably just magnifying everything. I swear any PG lady I see from here on out, I'm going to tell them to stop working at 37 weeks if they possibly can. Its just not worth it. I can hardly focus and I NEED to focus.

It would HAVE to be selective amnesia to want to do this again. Chas is all keen to have another and me? Not so much. The fact that I will be over 40 when we would be trying to conceive doesn't thrill me much. I know I have not had it as bad as some, but it's worn me out more than I thought it would to be pg. A year or two older and doing it? I'm not so sure.

Oh I WILL be having drugs, LOL. My body and pain don't get along too well - I am a major wuss. Funny though - I didn't take the childbirth classes (we needed that couple hundred $ for MULTIPLE things) and I sort of envisioned dealing with the pain the way you described - closing my eyes and sort of focusing inward with deep breaths. I think focusing on something else would just make my attention wander.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Awwww, Tracy, (L) s to you. I'm sure your parents think they can get back with time to spare. If they were my parents, I'd be praying that I deliver early and they miss it, just so they feel bad :lol:

I'm going to be taking off work before 37 weeks just for the reason you mentioned btw. Hopefully, this week isn't too bad for you!

As far as the relaxation techniques during delvery, have you thought about an ipod? Like put some relaxing music on there, maybe even one of those subliminal 'stay calm' jobbers. Might be worth it!

As update from me: Baby is fine, kicking like crazy. GD seems to be under control which is great. Going for my 28 week bloodwork this week! Yay for third trimester (tomorrow!).

I too feel a lot of stress right now with a lot of other factors in my life...I said it in a post here somewhere but I dunno where...the man is still in school. He's getting his Master's, and will be finished in Sept. He moved here from Seattle for this school, and got one of those one-bedroom jobbers near campus. It's SMALL. lol. I live there half the week, because I lwork in this town about 40 miles away, near my parents. Anyways, Lease is up Aug 15th, but school's not done til end Sept. I deliver Sept 15-16. So, the initial plan was, stay in this small (but nice) place until he graduates, then, assuming he gets his job locally, buy a house here. It's been making me crazy because 1- there's no room for a baby, lol 2- I hate feeling unsettled, 3- htf do we move with a less-than-one-month-old? 4- paying 'month-to-mnth' rent kills me even more than regular rent cos his place would hike it up like nuts. 5- I really didn't relish the thought of moving out of state for his job with a one month old, I want family around and a support system for at least the first year. Anyhoo, we talked about it and an oppty fell into our lap where we have leased a house around the corner from my family! Was a friend of my parents' homes he had built for his 95 year old mother, who just passed (not in the house, lolz). I haggled a GREAT price (because I hate wasting money on rent), and he's willing to keep it vacant until mid Aug. It's a pristine 3 bedroom block home with a nice yard and trussed in screened in porch too. And our own laundry room and 2cg. LOL.

So, the benefits are infinite! My parents are .5 mile away, I don't have to worry about my mom and I being 40 miles apart. We don't need to be in each other's pockets, but with this being my first baby, and their first grandchild, I'll take all the help I can get. And I can call my mom to come watch the baby if I have to run out to show property, so I can get back to work earlier (She retired at 30, my dad at 50, so they're both young with all day to spare, heheh). And I can put my Mercedes in a garage where the sun's not gonna kill it, or I have to worry about the freakin parking lot. And I don't have to lug laundry to their house, cos who wants to use a community laundry room? And NO STAIRS! Cos we lived on the second floor. Oh, and now, we can actually BUY baby furniture, not have to worry about just having the crade, let alone setting up a nursery! w00t!

The only downside is, the man will ahve to commute to school for a month and a half, but we don't see it as all that bad. And he'll have to take a job in Orlando for the first year. And when he gets a job (already being scouted by Orlando-metro companies), he'll have to commute. So we'll probs need another car, because since I have a 2 seater, I'm taking his Camry, but I don't want the wear and tear of an 80 mile day 5 days a week on an 8-cyl car. Would probs be cheaper for us to buy a third car for him to bang around in.

Anyways, I'm v excited. I feel like a 2 ton weight is off my back, because at least I know where we'll be for a year. Then the baby will be old enough that we can put down roots with a hosue purchase depending on where his job takes us.

Soooooo stoked!!!

Edited by Happy Bunny

Yeah I know - I kind of think it would be funny to not be dilated at my appt this afternoon, have them get to their destination and have to call them a day or so later. :lol: I'm mean - but geez, come on. They didn't do this around my sister's two pregnancies - why I have to be treated differently, I'm sure I don't know. They've had a rough couple of months with my dad having to have a kidney removed in May so I think they deserve to go blow off a little steam. But I still think they could have timed this better. What was wrong with even last week?

No Ipod but I'll have my laptop at delivery so I can put Rush on. That soothes the savage pg lady beast, so I'm sure it will help me during labor too. :)

SMART of you to not work past week 37. I guess my thinking at the time was I would be going stir crazy, just sitting around waiting to 'go' - and that I'd want to keep focused on something else. I still do see some logic in that, but I don't think I was expecting to feel quite as overwhelmed as I feel, you know? I just could have used this time to finish organizing the nursery (it's basically ready, just not to my standards) instead of waiting until my 39th week before I'm off. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did. LOL

That's AWESOME about the new place!!!!!!!!! I'm sure having that all squared away will make any other stress factors seem way less in the grand scheme. I hate feeling unsettled anyway, let alone being pg. Glad, too, that the GD is under control with diet. A lot of women aren't able to do that!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Yeah, well, I'm actually contemplating stopping working in the next two weeks. Not really stopping per se, because I am self employed, but basically just managing my listings from home. If I have any potential buyers, I am looking to get a temporary partner that I can have him/her run around showing the property, while I handle the negotiations and paperwork from home. That's the plan, anyways. hehehe.

It's just too hot here in FL for me to be schlepping all over the damn place bein all fat and preggo. I wasn't nearly as lucky as you to have only gained 11 pounds (biotch! heheh) It's too hot, my feet are swollen, and I dress too professionally. LOL You all know those realtors who show prop in jeans and sneakers? That's NOT me. So I can't be bothered to put on a suit or a nice, but tight outfit with heels on just to show a few houses. Ugh, no way.

Oh, and the house is SUCH a weight off my back. I feel clarity already :lol:

Re: the laptop, I'd suggest getting great headphones so you can drown everyone else out and get 'transported somewhere else with the music.

Your parents sound like they have the veteran mentality. heh. I'm sure in their heads, they will be back in plenty of time to share this wonderful event with you.

If you can do it, I say go for it. Esp. given the conditions you describe - the hot, humid weather down there and having to dress up - I can't imagine having to shove my swollen feet and ankles in heels right now. We are 'business casual' here at the office, and I've been able to get away with my maternity pants and even socks and Sketchers shoes. Basically as long as I don't wear big white tennis shoes, no one says anything.

But I really, REALLY did not expect to feel so overwhelmed with everything at this stage. And even though your accomodations are being sorted :) I promise you that you'll still hit a point where you're like 'OMG I don't have anything organized!' At least you will if you work more than you really have to. So I say do what you have to do to give yourself the time you're going to want to get things up to your standards.

Actually, 9 1/2 pounds gained so far :P (we'll find out this afternoon if that's increased). And I have the headphones too - I use them here in cubicle land a LOT because people insist on having loud #### conversations RIGHT behind your desk. So I have to have something to drown them out so I can concentrate. :whistle:

Yeah you're probably right - in their heads. Its no biggie to them but it's my first baby and I'm a little freaked out. But hey, whatever. At least I can always count on my husband and best friend.

SA4userbar.jpg

SIGH appointment revealed still no dilation or effacing, She did say my cervix is 'soft' though so it's not completely unprepared - and she can quite readily feel the head. Just no real progress. So, my parents are off on their vacation, LOL. Good for them but I just feel anxious and behind where I should be.

She did say they'd probably give me about a week past my due date before they'd consider inducing me, which would be July 12th. Frankly I'm not sure I'm prepared to wait that long, but what can ya do?

Oh and Lisa - she said I lost the 1/2 lb I gained last week, so 9 lbs total. :P

SA4userbar.jpg

SIGH appointment revealed still no dilation or effacing, She did say my cervix is 'soft' though so it's not completely unprepared - and she can quite readily feel the head. Just no real progress. So, my parents are off on their vacation, LOL. Good for them but I just feel anxious and behind where I should be.

She did say they'd probably give me about a week past my due date before they'd consider inducing me, which would be July 12th. Frankly I'm not sure I'm prepared to wait that long, but what can ya do?

Oh and Lisa - she said I lost the 1/2 lb I gained last week, so 9 lbs total. :P

I officially hate you, lolz.

Sounds like the timing is going great for everyone but you...lolz. Bet you're ready to get that baby into this world and outta your belleh! ;)

Edited by Happy Bunny

Hee hee I figured as much. ;)

You're right about that. I'm just tired of being PG - this 98 degree TN heat isn't helping matters either. Honestly I expected to go closer to my due date so I'm on track I'm sure - but it would be nice to have some 'movement' so when labor actually starts, I don't have quite as far to dilate as I apparently will now.

SA4userbar.jpg

Oh, see I go over to baby center and drop off VJ for the last nine months and a baby topic gets started here! We just had our little girl last week! I am SO glad to be over and done with the whole pregnancy/labor thing. Tracy, I was just like you, soooooo ready to be done as soon as 37 weeks hit. Made it to 40 and 2 of course. Hope you go earlier!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.