haagen_dazs

Should i apply for AOS to green card if i am leaving USA for studies in 60days>

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

oh man

what should i do?

how do i find out when exactly did i go out of status?

how do i know if i over stay? does it happen when I leave the USA and they take the I94 card back to process?

Your H1b status ended sometime shortly after you terminated your employment

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since H1B visas are employer specific, then when you lost your job you also lost your status. If you leave the US now, you may be subject to a ban.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You get a 3 year ban if you overstay by more than 180 days; you are still within that timeline if you lost your job in April.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

When you lose a job and your employer holds your H1B, they generally put in a request to USCIS to terminate your visa. I believe USCIS waits about 30 days for a visa transfer or renewal request to come through before it terminates the visa (You can get a quick consult with an H1B lawyer to confirm or check online). This should help you calculate whether or not you overstayed and by how many days.

AOS timeline:

1st March 2010 - AOS packet received at Chicago (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)
9th March 2010 - Checks cashed
12th March 2010 - All 4 NOA's received
19th March 2010 - Applications touched biggrin.png
19th March 2010 - Received Biometrics letter for 2nd April
2nd April 2010 - Biometrics done
19th April 2010 - Received interview letter for May 21st biggrin.png
6th May 2010 - All applications touched. Status of I-765 changed to document production, status of I-131 changed to post decision activity.
10th May 2010 - Received approved AP in mail
21st May 2010 - AOS Interview, IO said he will approve the case... waiting for Green card smile.png
27th May 2010 - Received EAD card
17th June 2010 - Approval notice for I-130 received. Also received "Welcome to USA" letter biggrin.png
28th June 2010 - Finally received my GC.... Praise be to God smile.png

16th March 2012 - Sent ROC package
21st March 2012 - NOA1 date
20th April 2012 - Received Biometrics letter for 16th May

December 2012 - Received 10 year GC

01 Nov 2013 - Sent naturalization package

18 Feb 2014 - Oath ceremony done, naturalization complete!!

Filed: Timeline

When you lose a job and your employer holds your H1B, they generally put in a request to USCIS to terminate your visa. I believe USCIS waits about 30 days for a visa transfer or renewal request to come through before it terminates the visa (You can get a quick consult with an H1B lawyer to confirm or check online). This should help you calculate whether or not you overstayed and by how many days.

someone said here 0-180 days over stay = 3 yr ban or is it >180days = 3 year ban?

i am confused

i kind of need some advice on what i should do now now now......

=(

i cannot leave the USA now and come back as a visitor visa because i have my ceremonial wedding in less than a month (we did the civil marriage last month). on top of that, we are both leaving the USA in 60 days to go to b-school (both of us). we might work overseas for a while and maybe come back to the USA later..

argh.

Filed: Other Timeline

A denied entry and having a ban in place that makes one ineligible to receive a visa is a very different thing

You are correct. But you'll have to admit that this destinction is of academic nature when the O.P. is at the POE and the CBP officers sends him back home.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

Since your overstay is less than 180 days, there's no automatic ban, so you should not be too worried about being denied at the Point of Entry (POE) because of this.

My question is: do you have a valid B2 in your pass right now? If not, it might not be easy to get one in your situation, as your wife is a US citizen, you lived in the US for years, and now you want to return for a "vacation."

If you do have a valid B2, yes, then you can leave the country and should be able to come back in a while. Now, however, that if you leave now with an expired H1 and come back just a few days (or a week or two) later with a B2, that's a red flag.

If you have not submitted your AOS yet, meaning they haven't gotten your money yet, it might be smarter not to file now, but instead to file a DCF about 6 months before you intend to return to the US. If you happen to be married for 2 years by then, you immediately get your (unrestricted) 10-year Green Card (GC). This way you don't have to file for Removal of Conditions (ROC). It would make life much easier for you.

Before we dig deeper, please answer whether or not you have a B2.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You are correct. But you'll have to admit that this destinction is of academic nature when the O.P. is at the POE and the CBP officers sends him back home.

this is what makes things more uncertain in life.

were you out of status from 1994 to 2006 (when you were married) ?? wow

Since your overstay is less than 180 days, there's no automatic ban, so you should not be too worried about being denied at the Point of Entry (POE) because of this.

My question is: do you have a valid B2 in your pass right now? If not, it might not be easy to get one in your situation, as your wife is a US citizen, you lived in the US for years, and now you want to return for a "vacation."

If you do have a valid B2, yes, then you can leave the country and should be able to come back in a while. Now, however, that if you leave now with an expired H1 and come back just a few days (or a week or two) later with a B2, that's a red flag.

If you have not submitted your AOS yet, meaning they haven't gotten your money yet, it might be smarter not to file now, but instead to file a DCF about 6 months before you intend to return to the US. If you happen to be married for 2 years by then, you immediately get your (unrestricted) 10-year Green Card (GC). This way you don't have to file for Removal of Conditions (ROC). It would make life much easier for you.

Before we dig deeper, please answer whether or not you have a B2.

So I spoke to a lawyer and have a couple of options laid out for me.

I guess I have to choose the best of the worse options.

Assuming my H1B was stopped in end April, I am now overstaying and will continue to do so till Aug 1.

That is about 3 months.

1)

If I want to be technically legal and safe, I can leave USA tomorrow. But that would mean I would forfeit my entire cermonial marriage which is in 3 weeks time. (Note : this is ceremonial ie church + cocktail + reception party but we are already civilly married).

This is quite ridiculous and most likely out of the question (not to mention i will be $40k poorer and leaving a bad taste with all my guests)

2)

I could leave USA and immediately come back into USA as a tourist (my country, Singapore does not need a visa to enter USA).

However the lawyer said this will raise red flags and there is high risk of denied entry.

So I don't think I can leave and come back for my wedding ceremony. right?

3)

I was told I could apply for the AOS and leave after 1+month but there may be issues when I have to come back for the interview later on right?

At the POE, I will have to explain myself as to why I am out?

Is it at this point that I have to apply for the AP to come back into the USA for the interview?

Are interview dates flexible or fixed?

After I get the temp. 2 year green card, I will still be out of the USA. Will I have problem coming back in later without the green card?

Can one fedex the green card to me while I am in another country so that I can use it to get back into USA later?

I am not sure

4)

Assuming after B school, we continue to work in ASIA,

I could file for a AOS outside of USA after 2 years of marriage. I understand that would be easier.

However I was caution that I had to plan ahead of time since the wait time can be long when filing outside of USA

Am I right on this?

5)

I was also told that if we were to work for a long time outside of USA ( 5 to 10 years) and decide to come back, I might not be able to file for a AOS through my wife because she will lose her domiciliary status. Then the ONLY way to come back with my wife is to get a H1B then (again!?!?) and come back to the USA.

Can people comment on the options?

Are there any other options?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Comments

1. 3 months will not result in a ban which would need a waiver to overcome and override your tourist visa/VWP

2. Yes it would raised big giant red flags.

3. If you file for AOS and leave the country prior to obtaining AP you are considered to have abandoned your application. It is very risky to live outside the US for any extended length of time as an LPR since you are supposed to be a US RESIDENT, which means you reside in the US.It would be possible that upon re-entry the CPB would question why you, a new LPR, almost immediately left the country for months. If you remain out for more than 6 months it is a very good idea to apply for a re-entry permit.

4. Your spouse can petition for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa when you are ready to return to the US. Not too long of a wait, average around 6-8 months so if you plan ahead this would be a good thing.

5. Your wife must have a domicile in the US to file for a spousal visa. This could be an apartment, her parent's home, etc. There should be no problem with her establishing one prior to filing the petition for the application if you plan ahead.

To summarize.

Stay here and enjoy your party, leave prior to accumulating 180 days overstay, about 10 months prior to returning to the US have your wife establish a domicile and file a petition for a spousal visa.

thanks so much

in hind sigh, i wonder if i could have done things differently about 1+ mth ago

but at that time, i did not know if i was going to b school

would applying for AOS 1 mth ago make my situation now more complicated?

should i have applied for the special tourist visa (B??) then?

• 3 weeks later...

thanks so much

in hind sigh, i wonder if i could have done things differently about 1+ mth ago

but at that time, i did not know if i was going to b school

would applying for AOS 1 mth ago make my situation now more complicated?

should i have applied for the special tourist visa (B??) then?

You also have an other option; I think is the best

While you are in Asia with your spouse and she lives/studies there you might be eligible for Direct Consular Filing; that is the same procedure as AOS but the spouses are outside US

(see this page) http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

check also the forum section for Direct Consular Filing http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/82-direct-consular-filing-dcf-general-discussion/ )

Good Luck and happy marriage

Patience is the greatest virtue. We all need it while dealing with USCIS (hahaha)

Entered US (B1/B2 visa): Sept 19, 2008

I94 expiry: March 19, 2009

Married: Nov 28th, 2008

Mailed: AOS, I-130, I-131, I-785: March 2nd, 2009

Check cashed: March 12th, 2009

NOAs received: March 13th, 2009 (Issued: March 11th, 2009)

Biometrics Appoint. Received: March 16th, 2009 (Issued: March 13th, 2009)

Biometrics Scheduled: March 27, 2009

Biometrics done: March 18th, 2009

Received Advance Parole: May 4th, 2009

EAD: May 7th, 2009

Interview invitation received: June 5th, 2009

Interview date: July 13th, 2009

Green card approved & passport stamped at the interview: July 13th, 2009

Welcome letter received: July 21st, 2009

Green card received: July 27th, 2009

Condition removal mailed: April, 18th, 2011

Condition removal approved: July 21st, 2011

10 years green card received: July 27th, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.