slider100

Wait for Social security card????

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered the US on a K-1 visa in the end of April and I will be getting married next month. I went to the Social security office (Texas) and they told me that I have to wait to get my EAD in order to get a SS card.

Is that true? I thought I can apply for one before I get my EAD approved as that card would say: "Not valid to work without DHS authorization".

I would really appreciate some answers on this! Thank you for your answers in advance.

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I entered the US on a K-1 visa in the end of April and I will be getting married next month. I went to the Social security office (Texas) and they told me that I have to wait to get my EAD in order to get a SS card.

Is that true? I thought I can apply for one before I get my EAD approved as that card would say: "Not valid to work without DHS authorization".

I would really appreciate some answers on this! Thank you for your answers in advance.

KnR aka slider100

Yep you're right and they're completely wrong (as long as your I-94 is valid of course). Look at this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn and you can take the stuff they recommend in to show them THEIR rules and that whoever you spoke to is wrong.

If the person you speaks to tries to tell you the same thing ask to speak to a supervisor. If the supervisor has no idea, try and go to another office.

Good luck!

Timeline

Thank you, this is sooo annoying though. The lady at the office kept on saying that I need a valid reason like employment or welfare benefits to apply for a card. I told her that as a K-1 visa holder, I can apply for SS but she said you don't have a valid reason to apply for one.

I don't know what to do, I mean its so annoying that they don't know their own laws.

KnR aka slider100

Timeline

Thank you, this is sooo annoying though. The lady at the office kept on saying that I need a valid reason like employment or welfare benefits to apply for a card. I told her that as a K-1 visa holder, I can apply for SS but she said you don't have a valid reason to apply for one.

I don't know what to do, I mean its so annoying that they don't know their own laws.

That's why you go to the guide I provided and there's links their TO their laws so you can print it and take it in with you. It's a PITA but because they probably don't see a lot of K1's she doesn't have an idea. Consider this an opportunity to teach someone.

I hope you get a different person who DOES know what they're doing and then you can make sure to mention that you were in here yesterday and obviously they need some more staff training because you shouldn't have had to come back AGAIN just to show them THEIR rules.

Idiots. Try again tomorrow and report back :D

Timeline

Thank you, I argued for a bit but didn't help! I have seen so many people on VJ get their card. But I will take these print outs and go again, and tell them what they need to know.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't believe this applies to you, but if it's within 2 weeks or so of your I-94's expiry date, they won't give you a SSC, and then you'll definitely have to wait until you get your EAD.

If you go to a different office, and check on the SS-5 form "alien authorized to work" they probably won't give you as much trouble.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Hope you get it Slider! Make sure you talk with a supervisor too, just in case. I had problems as well, and we even went to the congressman's office. The lady there said the same thing...I need to be work authorized. So she phoned SS and talked with a supervisor who told her K-1's can apply for a SSN..lol. Thought it was funny that she didn't know either...which says to me...what ELSE does the congressman's office NOT know.. :unsure:...:P

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, I am surprised that the officials are unaware of the rules... I will try and get my evidence together and then approach them again! I will ask them to talk to some senior supervisor!

Thank you for all your answers!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey heatdeath, I think you meant to check the box "Alien NOT authorized to work" as I have to wait for my EAD to be approved! Lol thank you though!

Hey slider....eventhough you technically are not authorized to you, you need to check off the authorized to work box. You will still have the DHS authorization on the card when you get it. I know that is seems backwards, but by checking the NOT authorized box.....that may be your issue.

Timeline

Hey Colleens, long time, how have you been? Thank you for answering! So I need to check the box which states that "Alien allowed to work" box right! I am glad I found a lot of information on here, I will be going again and I hope they give it to me this time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, check that you're allowed to work. If you want to be technical, K-1's are allowed to work... once they get an EAD. It's not a class of visa that prohibits working in the US.

Timeline

Yep, check that you're allowed to work. If you want to be technical, K-1's are allowed to work... once they get an EAD. It's not a class of visa that prohibits working in the US.

Exactly. According to the SSA instructions we're "allowed to work" on the K1 visa, just the K1 proviso is WITH an EAD, so your SSN will have "requires DHS Authorization" on it (which means the EAD). Then once you've AOS'd you can go back and have the DHS auth part removed (if you want.. I will be :D)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sorry you ran into an ignorant SSA worker.

When you go again, tell them to look you up in the SAVE database - if you get a stupid look, ask for supervisor.

IMO, most supervisors KNOW about the SAVE database, is rare for any front-desk clerks to know about it.

If anyone mumbles 'DHS/USCIS electronic verification' - stop, come back in a week (verification takes 30 days, is frickin useless to wait, usually if you not file, come back a week later, no electronic verification needed )

Strongly suggest you go to OTHER office, as well.

There is WINDOW that you can apply - from 15 days to 74 days from the I-94 entry date. Is possible you not get an I-94, since you are Canadien ? That might be what is tripping up the SSA person.

So, go back tomorrow, be adamant about SAVE database system, get a supervisor, then report back here on yer results.

Good Luck !

GoGoGadget CompetentHuman !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.