4ever mine

Help I am uncertain what to do after I-130 scew up

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello, All:

I am wondering if anyone can help me on this issue. I submitted my I-130 with all the supporting document required and some. I also changed my name to my husband's family name in February, 2010. WOW, what obstacles that I am facing!

Fist, the IRS has my tax return pending for over 8 weeks because of my name change even though I filed after the SS administration updated name change prior to me filing my taxes. I never received anything in writing from the IRS. I checked online. I requested a referral, but who knows how long that will take? I am early in the process, but I worry that I may not get my 2009 transcripts, because of this issue, when I need it for my affidavit of support. Not sure what to do.

Secondly, I received my NOA1 yesterday and they have my last name with my maiden name hyphenated and married name. On the I-130, I put Bracco as my family name, but I included in parenthesis my married name. Should I have that corrected? All my ID's including SS card, driver's license, and passport only has my married name, not maiden name. If I request that to be corrected I know we are looking at an additional 30 day delay on top of the normal processing time. Should I let it go and let USCIS request a RFE if they deem it as an issue or not?

My husband wants me to fix it, but he is not familiar with how fast things can go wrong. I am not sure either.

Thanks!

All of this could have been avoid and should have been avoided by not doing name changes. Who's bright idea was it for a woman to lose herself identity once she's married? I'm pretty sure you are Muslim and Islam neither requires nor recommends changing the wife's name. From a feminist point of view, name changes make me cringe. Now that my rant is over, let me ask why did you put your names in parenthesis and not have an explanation page? How is anyone beside you to know what you mean by what you write?

I think you should correct everything as soon as possible so that there are no mix ups and errors later on. Thirty days delay is nothing compared to the grand scheme of life. To correct your name, you probably will have to wait for the RFE if you do get one. If not, then I'd still make some sort of public affidavit for records.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Totally off topic: As a feminist myself, I believe in woman having choice, the OP has obviously made her choice and that should be respected - in my opinion.

D&H - the correct way to show your name on the I-130 would have been to put your married name in the "family name" section and your maiden name in the "other names used" section (item 7 on the I-130).

I wouldn't worry about it. If they approve your I-129F, then your application really won't be addressed again until it gets to the consulate, where you will have the opportunity to explain it.

If the I-130 gets approved first and you end up applying for a CR1 - then you will have ample opportunity to correct this on the forms you send to NVC (ie: fill them in correctly).

As for your tax transcript - normally a consulate - or the NVC - will accept the actual 1040 along with all supporting income slips, so, if by chance you don't get the transcript in time, that will be an option.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

For the I-864 - is OK to give 'current tax year' COPY of the Tax Return - transcript is NOT required for 'current tax year'. IMO, that's a path to 'least pain' for the I-864, for yer casefile.

FWIW, you could have gone to any IRS office, and handled the name change there, in real time, no mailing required.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

All of this could have been avoid and should have been avoided by not doing name changes. Who's bright idea was it for a woman to lose herself identity once she's married? I'm pretty sure you are Muslim and Islam neither requires nor recommends changing the wife's name. From a feminist point of view, name changes make me cringe. Now that my rant is over, let me ask why did you put your names in parenthesis and not have an explanation page? How is anyone beside you to know what you mean by what you write?

I think you should correct everything as soon as possible so that there are no mix ups and errors later on. Thirty days delay is nothing compared to the grand scheme of life. To correct your name, you probably will have to wait for the RFE if you do get one. If not, then I'd still make some sort of public affidavit for records.

It was my decision to change my name as i wanted to do that for personal reasons. I have not lost my identity. I feel that I did what I feel is best for me and I am proud to take his name. I realize that, in hinds sight, that placing my married name in parenthesis was a mistake, but I viewed family name as my maiden name.

Totally off topic: As a feminist myself, I believe in woman having choice, the OP has obviously made her choice and that should be respected - in my opinion.

D&H - the correct way to show your name on the I-130 would have been to put your married name in the "family name" section and your maiden name in the "other names used" section (item 7 on the I-130).

I wouldn't worry about it. If they approve your I-129F, then your application really won't be addressed again until it gets to the consulate, where you will have the opportunity to explain it.

If the I-130 gets approved first and you end up applying for a CR1 - then you will have ample opportunity to correct this on the forms you send to NVC (ie: fill them in correctly).

As for your tax transcript - normally a consulate - or the NVC - will accept the actual 1040 along with all supporting income slips, so, if by chance you don't get the transcript in time, that will be an option.

Thank you for your response.

For the I-864 - is OK to give 'current tax year' COPY of the Tax Return - transcript is NOT required for 'current tax year'. IMO, that's a path to 'least pain' for the I-864, for yer casefile.

FWIW, you could have gone to any IRS office, and handled the name change there, in real time, no mailing required.

Edited by D & H 4ever

Timeline

I submitted a copy of my new/old passport, driver's license, and both SS cards to show that I changed my name. i am praying that will suffice to avoid a RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.