Sign in to follow this  
trillium13

Vodka Eyeballing

10 posts in this topic

Even as drunken student antics go, it was, by any stretch of the imagination, a disturbing scene. Surrounded by cheering rugby players, applauded by fellow members of the university netball team, 19-year-old Melissa Fontaine tipped back her head and giggled as fellow drinkers in the Students' Union bar pulled apart her eyelids and allowed them to pour a shot of vodka into her left eye.

'Vodka eyeballing', as it is known in student circles, is the latest drinking craze to sweep through Britain's universities.

Those who do it claim that it induces feelings of drunkenness at break-neck speeds, providing an instant high.

But the devastating long-term damage it causes is becoming a major concern among doctors and university authorities who already worry that Britain's student drinking culture is out of control.

Melissa, who left university last summer and is now 22, believes they are right to be worried. Her constantly watering left eye has been left permanently scarred by her antics. More worryingly still, she has been warned that her eyesight may deteriorate further as she gets older.

'I'm in constant pain because of what I did,' she says. 'And I'm terrified that it will get worse. I wish I could turn the clock back and change things. But I can't.'

It would be easy, of course, to dismiss Melissa as nothing more than a silly 'ladette'. But it is hard to reconcile that stereotype with the young woman she is today, fresh out of university in London with a first-class English degree, the privately-educated daughter of financiers, and an aspiring writer.

In short she is not the kind of young woman who might naturally be associated with Britain's spiralling binge-drinking youth culture.

The question is then, why would an intelligent, seemingly sensible woman do something so foolhardy and so grotesque as 'vodka eyeballing'. And what can be learnt from her story?

It is a question she wrestles with every day.

'I know people will say that their son or daughter wouldn't do anything so stupid, but really I don't think parents have any idea what goes on at university and what pressures their children will come under to do stupid things,' says Melissa, who shares a flat with friends in South London.

'The student drinking culture has got completely out of hand and I know because I saw it. I regarded myself as a normal, sensible teenager, but I got pulled into it myself.'

She hasn't yet told her parents about her eye. 'I've put off telling them about it before now because I didn't want to worry them,' she says simply, but it's not hard to imagine how distressed they will be. Leaving home for the first time and going to university plunged Melissa into a world of almost unchecked social high-jinks.

'Being at university is like being in a bubble,' she claims. 'You live for the moment. It's very carefree. You want to try new things and don't think about what will happen afterwards.'

Looking back, she can see how she put common sense to one side as she tried to fit in with the other students.

The social environment at university was, she says, 'bawdy and competitive'. For those who did sports, it was even more so.

When she joined the netball team, she had no idea that her drinking skills off the court would be as scrutinised as her agility on it. Overnight, she found herself swiftly drawn into the university drinking culture.

'It's especially difficult if you do sports because the element of competition you see in your game is transferred to the bar,' she says. 'I felt very pressured at the beginning. When we were travelling back from a game on the coach, there was a tradition whereby you had to down lots of port.'

The weekly 'Athletics Union' nights held in the Students' Union bar were even more depraved.

'The rugby players were the worst,' she says. 'But because of feminism, you're expected, as a woman, to keep up with them. The guys set a precedent and you have to follow. That's what drives the whole ladette culture. Women believing they have to be equal in every single way.'

What made matters worse for Melissa was that, by her own admission, she has always been highly competitive. It is a trait that in other areas of her life, her schooling, exams, has served her well.

Under the influence of alcohol, it was disastrous. Challenged to undergo a 'vodka eyeball', she was determined to impress her friends.

'Vodka eyeballing' is believed to have emerged as a dangerous trend in the U.S., where it is a popular nightclub trick performed by waitresses for tips in resorts such as Las Vegas.

more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278583/Young-people-drinking-neat-vodka-EYE-quick-buzz.html

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's just icky and stupid. :bonk:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Higher education. Three of my borthers are doctors. This bothers me. If my brothers can be doctors, my doctor can be like my brothers.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I'm pretty sure people have tried this, but I'm not gonna do the Google search on that one. ;)

hehehe. i read this years ago, and it's the kind of thing you remember once you've read it.

Anatomy of a Ritual

In several New World cultures, the enema was the technique of choice for taking hallucinogenic drugs. The practice was based on sound physiological principles.

Ritual intake of alcohol and hallucinogens by enema used to be widespread among Native American tribes and is still practiced today by some. It was performed both by hunter-gatherers in the Amazon jungle and by the Maya, the most advanced indigenous civilization in the New World. But the custom may seem puzzling or bizarre to many people today. After all, if you're disposed to mind-altering drugs, it's easy just to swallow, smoke, sniff, or lick them. Why go to the trouble of taking them by enema?

The answer does not have to do with the unique beliefs of exotic cultures but with basic principles of intestinal physiology, applicable to all of us. My own research specialty as a physiologist consists of trying to figure out how our intestine is adapted for doing what nature meant it to do. Rectal administration of drugs seems to be the reverse of what's natural. How could the outcome not be disastrous if we use an orifice specifically adapted for expelling chemicals to admit them instead? But recent advances in our understanding of digestive physiology lead me to conclude that Native American enema devotees knew what they were doing. Until the modern invention of hypodermic syringes for intravenous injection, the rectal route for hallucinogens offered special advantages.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_6_110/ai_76550319/?tag=content;col1

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps