Fandango

I'm quitting smoking tomorrow

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Good luck with the not smoking.

I am gonna try to stop once I get to NY although it would have been wiser and cheaper to stop here in the UK where a pack of smokes costs £5+

Donna

Almost done with it all

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Lisa, you know what they say......'If you fall off the horse, get right back up on it!' (or something like that and who the hell are 'they' :lol: )

Try quitting 15 minutes at a time. When the 15 minutes are up, tell yourself to wait another 15 minutes and keep going!! Worked for me but you really gotta want to quit!!! It's a hard habit to break!! I am smoke free 6 years as of the 16th of January! There were tough times, I can assure you! But just look at that cigarette and say, "Am I gonna let you control every move I make??" Cause that's exactly what it does. We centre everything around that piece of work. Think about it!

I still say to this day, "I'm not saying I'm not going to smoke anymore, but I pray to God I don't!!" You know the old song, "One Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus" :innocent:

And pat yourself on the back for admitting here that you caved in. You're human, my friend. Good luck and God bless. Keep us posted...............{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Edited by MarieAnastasia

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good Luck.. and great job on deciding to quit. I applaud you for trying to stop doing something that has control over you *looks over at someoen else as he says that* :-)

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved

Filed: Timeline
But on the good side, I went from 20 a day to 6.
Well, its six now.. 10 tomorrow.. that never works.

Yep. I agree. I've tried that, too. Many times. It's a loser for a strategy to quit. :yes:

The one thing that works is to first really, firmly put your mind to putting them cigarettes down for good. Decide on a day when you'll do it - shouldn't be more than two to four weeks out - and then reduce the smoking on your way to that day. Start thinking about why you light up if and when you do during those two to four weeks and if you can at all resist, then don't light that one at that time. But even if you do, the most important thing is to not have any cigarettes available when your quitting day comes. At that point, you gotta stick with it. If you can't, you haven't really put your mind to it. :no:

Visit the American Lung Association website for tips and help to quit smoking successfully. They have strategies, support groups, local contacts and whatnot available. Check it out.

Good Luck next time. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey, you are trying at that is what counts. I'm quitting when hubby is here so I have someone to beat the ####### out of :lol:

The thought of even quitting though terrifies me, its like what will I do instead of smoking. What will I do on my breaks at work. All that weird stuff. Like its my life or something. I hate smoking but quitting terrifies me :(

Emily (Me) American (Oregon) - Shane (Him) Australian (Adelaide)

I-130

July 21st, 2005 - Mailed petition

July 25th, 2005 - Petition delivered to Nebraska

August 2nd, 2005 - Petition received at CSC

August 3rd, 2005 - Mailed NOA1

August 5th, 2005 - Money order cashed!!!!

August 9th, 2005 - Received NOA1 via snail mail

January 18th, 2006 - NOA2

I-129F

October 19th, 2005 - Mailed petition

October 23rd, 2005 - Petition delivered to Chicago Lockbox

October 26th, 2005 - NOA1

December 1st, 2005 - APPROVED!!!!

December 12th, 2005 - NVC Received

December 15th 2005 - Petition left NVC

December 28th, 2005 - Received by Sydney

January 2nd, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

January 9th, 2006 - DS-230 Pt. 1 and Checklist sent to Sydney

February 28th 2006 - INTERVIEW!!!!

March 2006 - He's home!!!! :)

Our 2 year anniversary!!!!

.png

Our 1 year marriage anniversary!!!!

.png

Well I feel like such a sh!t, but I fell off the wagon :crying::crying:

But on the good side, I went from 20 a day to 6. But that's me just tryin to justify things ;)

*sigh*

Don't give up, I must have quit a million times! You can do it!

Lisa, you know what they say......'If you fall off the horse, get right back up on it!' (or something like that and who the hell are 'they' :lol: )

Try quitting 15 minutes at a time. When the 15 minutes are up, tell yourself to wait another 15 minutes and keep going!! Worked for me but you really gotta want to quit!!! It's a hard habit to break!! I am smoke free 6 years as of the 16th of January! There were tough times, I can assure you! But just look at that cigarette and say, "Am I gonna let you control every move I make??" Cause that's exactly what it does. We centre everything around that piece of work. Think about it!

I still say to this day, "I'm not saying I'm not going to smoke anymore, but I pray to God I don't!!" You know the old song, "One Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus" :innocent:

And pat yourself on the back for admitting here that you caved in. You're human, my friend. Good luck and God bless. Keep us posted...............{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Some very good advice here!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I was a little premature last time for talking it up before I did anything, but today, I have officially been smoke free.

I went and had hypnosis, and I'll tell ya what...I feel kinda good...a teeny bit antsy, but not like every other zillionth time I've quit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

good for you and GOOD LUCK!

I-129F Sent : 11-22-2005
I-129F NOA1: 12-16-2005
I-129F NOA2: 02-09-2006
NVC Received: 02-27-2006
Left From NVC: 03-02-2006
Consulate Received: 03-15-2006
Interview Date : 03-21-2006 Approved
Visa received : 3-24-2006
Married 6-2-2006
Aos timeline
dec 12 2006 : AOS application mailed to chicago
dec 14 2006 : arrived at chicago
dec 20 2006 : Check cashed
dec 21 2006 : NOA (Missouri Service Center)
jan 08 2007 : Biometric
jan 11 2007 : RFE for I-864
jan 19 2007 : Sent RFE to Lees Summit
jan 26 2007 : Got email from CRIS, received response from request of initial evidence
jan 30 2007 : transfer to California service center
feb 01 2007 : touched
feb 09 2007 : California received
feb 13 2007 : touched
feb 14 2007 : touched
feb 15 2007 : touched
feb 20 2007 : RFE notification from email
feb 21 2007 : touched
feb 28 2007 : RFE in the mail(marriage certificate again)
mar 02 2007: Sent RFE to CSC
mar 09 2007 : Got email, they received response for RFE
mar 12 2007 : Touched
mar 19 2007 : received email from CRIS, Card production ordered
mar 21 2007 : received email from CRIS AOS approved
mar 23 2007 : received Snail mail approval
mar 24 2007 : Green Card arrived (with misspelled mid name)

Ok, so I was a little premature last time for talking it up before I did anything, but today, I have officially been smoke free.

I went and had hypnosis, and I'll tell ya what...I feel kinda good...a teeny bit antsy, but not like every other zillionth time I've quit.

Good luck and check back in with your progress.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I can only say "Well Done" for being so determined. I think it is wonderful that you have tried so many times and that you haven't given up. It is such a worthwhile thing to do and you will be a much more attractive person for giving up. The smell of a smoker is probably the most unattractive thing imaginable.

I am a smoker myself and we (myself, husband and son) are all scheduled to give up on the 1st April. We have to all do it together or we are not going to succeed. But the one thing I notice, even as a smoker, is how horrible it smells when my husband has had a cigarette. You are a very attractive woman and it will make you so much more attractive when you smell of the shampoo you washed your hair of in the morning and the perfume you applied first thing - not like an old ashtray.

You are doing great! Keep it up and at the end of the week treat yourself to something nice that you will actually appreciate now you have given up. A nice smelling body spray or a new t.shirt that has never been tainted with the smell of cigarettes.

When I gave up several years ago, I had to wash all the clothes in my wardrobe. Even though they had been laundered and not worn they smelled of cigarettes. Isn't that amazing? I am looking forward to stopping on the 1st and then I am going to have a blitz on the entire house, carpet cleaning, washing the curtains, everything that I can smell it on, even though we don't smoke in the house, but out on the deck!

Keep us posted on how you do - I am rooting for you!

Edited by Girona40

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Good luck quitting! I just passed a milestone of sorts. I stopped a 2 pack a day, 30 year habbit 2 months ago today. It has been tough but I did it!!. I used the patch and it was the only thing that saved me. The bad side effect was I gained 30 pounds in the proccess. :( So yesterday I started on my diet. 1400 calories a day and 2 miles of walking each day. I have my wonderful baby to thank for all this. She didn't order me or give me an ultimatum, she just looked at me and said: "I love you so much and I want to spend a long time with you. Please quit so we can grow old together." Well, what can I say? I made up my mind and did it!! God I love that woman!! (L)

So chin up, if I can do it anyone can!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This site REALLY helped me, a little fear goes a long way in my world, haha. (See the "We died young section)

This site let me stop rationalizing that I still had time to quit before something bad happened. Lot's of good support there as well

http://www.whyquit.com/

Good luck!!!!! I am another heavy smoker who managed to quit, although I had to use the gum, but it helped take the edge off immensely and still satisfied that oral fixation thing!

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Thank you all again so much....it really helps to hear 'way to go! keep it up!'...thx rch & SteveT. :)

there have been some really excellent ideas thrown about here....Girona, forst of all you are so sweet! And I think you had a great idea....on my one-month anni, I'm going to go out and buy myself something nice & sweet smelling :) Hope April 1 works out for you!

I know all my clothes must stink, hahahaha. David...who is also a smoker...hated when I smoked upstairs in our house. He always would yell at me when I did it. Anyways, when I was packing to come back to FL, I was smoking like mad upstairs. I also packed a few packages for David to mail to me sporadically. Well, when I unpacked my stuff in my parent's non-smoking house, I thought I'd die from the stench!!! And all the parcels of clothes that I had him send had to be aired out for days & then washed twice...such a shame!

I finally apol'd to David for not listening to him & smoking upstairs.

It's really odd....while I do feel a bit anxious and actually a little depressed....I'm not physically craving a cig! Seriously, the hypnosis seems to have worked a treat! The guy had everyone all envision the first cig we smoked...how all that hot disgusting smoke filled our clean lungs, etc....I actually started to gag and choke. It was really strange. I have the behavioral issues bothering me...this morning I really missed sitting outside on the veranda smoking a cig with my coffee...but I am not jonesing for a cig. I also got some hypnosis cds and they are helping with reinforcement. But it's so strange because it is like a switch has been turned on. I have tried quitting so many times and have failed just as many...but this time I feel different from the get go, which makes me feel hopeful that this time's for good.

Gary...keep up the GREAT work!!!! You can do it!!!

Kiki, congrats on the not smoking....that website freaked me out a bit cos I'm a paranoid sort & that 'we died young' section really depressed me. But I guess that's what I need to keep my resolve, so thank you!

edited to add: the hypnosis was also a weight loss session too...as to not gain weight from the not-smoking...it's wierd with that as well cos they had us envision eating junk food & then having it taste like pure grease....well, last night we had the remainder of my Dad's birthday cake & I couldn't even eat it!!! I've cut my caffeine consumption & have been drinking water like crazy all day......ha!

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Good Luck and you can do it! Just take it one day at a time. 1 year ago I went from smoking 3 packs (60 cigs) a day to nothing. I used the Nicorette Inhaler for 1 week and also found eating apples helped too.

I loved smoking too and at the beginning felt like I was missing something. It takes willpower and a 100% belief that you want to quit for yourself and no one else. Rob doesn't smoke, but he never asked me to quit or said anything negative about me smoking. You have to quit for yourself and no one else. I have been tempted to smoke "just one"...but I know that I can't just have one cigarette...it's all or nothing, and I haven't gone this far for nothing...plus I've a little baby on the way so don't want to be around any smoke at all!

Keep going and definately do buy yourself something nice with the money you're saving. And everything you're feeling now is perfectly normal...anxious, slightly down, pissed off...I went through it all. I remember looking at other smokers and thinking how lucky they were to be smoking! It does get easier, hang in there (F)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

i agree..the best way is have a determined mind and just do it..no excuses..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835